Baseball Hot Stove

maqroll

Cueto to SFG. 6 years, roughly 130 m. 

The list of big money FAs still on the table keeps getting shorter, and each time one of them doesn't sign for the Yanks I breathe a sigh of relief. 

I'm not sure Shark (much easier!) is a #2 in the AL east. SF overpayed in both AAV and years to get him, imo, although he'll probably do just fine in such a pitcher friendly environment. I'd rather do the Cueto deal, personally. 

But yeah, you need some SP. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sad day for baseball

Until the 2004 team, this was the greatest Red Sox moment of my life.

R.I.P. Dave Henderson

Al Michaels at a rare loss for words...

Edited by maqroll

Let's just hope the investigation concludes he's innocent, then. I'd find it hard to root for someone guilty of what he's accused of. 

All else aside, it's a pretty good trade for the Yanks. Betances-Miller-Chapman is f***ing scary. 

I kind of hope they trade Miller, Gardner +++ for a young starter. I do think Cashman plans to keep all three, though, unless some team desperate for a closer offer a silly package. Cashman knows neither the lineup nor the rotation is championship calibre, and no realistic addition will change that. A lights out bullpen is probably the only way the Yankees can compete this season, and of course the Evil Empire must compete every f***ing season - which is almost impossible in American sports. 

Also, if you trade Miller and Chapman is suspended for a lengthy period of time, the Yankee bullpen is suddenly Betances + a bunch of questionmarks. Again, I'd be fine with that for one season, but we must compete every f***ing season. 

Edited by Michelsen

• 3 weeks later...
On 12. desember 2015 at 19:20, kurtsimonw said:

Mets are just a pathetic organisation. Good or not, it's embarrassing supporting them TBH.

Cespedes is back, though. Pretty good deal for the Mets, too.

Mets are just a pathetic organisation. Good or not, it's embarrassing supporting them TBH.

Cespedes is back, though. Pretty good deal for the Mets, too.

I guess they proved me wrong for the first time in about 8 years. Finally, they've actually made an effort

• 3 weeks later...

Righto, anyone want to do a VT head to head Yahoo fantasy baseball league? 

I figure there's about 8 MLB fans on here, which would be enough for a smallish league. With 8 teams, we'd all be guaranteed good rosters...

Let me know if you have any interest. Still weeks away from drafting.

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Mejia banned for life for 5th drug violation. The level of stupidity is hard to comprehend.

Quite the achievement at age 26, too. 

I might sign up for a VT fantasy league if there's enough interest. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Probably a win-win trade, for both colours of Sox. 

Sale might be enough to bring home a championship but I was gutted when the Yanks didn't get Moncada so I'm kind of relieved his rise to superstardom won't happen in Boston at least. 

White Sox are making some interesting trades now. Sale, then Eaton to Nats for Giolito++. Abreu and Frazier might be next. That farm system will be looking good. 

Colorado will be paying Ian Desmond a lot of money to play first, which seems odd to me but hey. Will be interesting to see where Encarnacion, Bautista and Trumbo end up (not in the Bronx, please). Might make sense for Boston, post Papi? 

Yankees get Chapman for cash only (albeit tons of it), sign Holliday to DH for a year, shed some salary (McCann traded to Houston, Tex retiring). If only we could dump Ellsbury and Headley somewhere, I'd be pretty happy. I'd like to see what we could get for Gardner, too. Rotation isn't good enough to compete just yet, lineup probably a little inconsistent too, but we're set up nicely for 2019 (dat FA class, dude) and beyond. 

Edited by Michelsen

There's some talk we may bid for Edwin, and move Hanley to DH. if we get Edwin, I'm pretty sure we can do big things. 

Also speculation that Henry might sell up after this last roll of the dice. 

Â