Baseball Hot Stove

maqroll

Oakland trades Josh Donaldson to Toronto for scraps. That's a frightening power trio in Toronto now. But Nelson Cruz is off to Seattle, so we don't have to worry about him anymore. 

Lester to the Cubs 6/$155m. Epstein knows what he's getting, and they have to be very pleased. And now Lester gets to pitch to a pitcher 3-4 times per game. Plan B for Boston, whatever that is.

Cespedes to Detroit for Rick Porcello. Clubs know that we lost out on Lester, so they have more leverage. I was hopping for Jonny Cueto, but Porcello will have to do. Still need a proper ace now.

Dodgers trade Matt Kemp to San Diego for Yasmani Grandal and prospects. Good trade for LA, not sure why SD made this trade, Grandal is a catcher on the up, Kemp is a hitter in decline, and now he's hitting in the biggest park in MLB.

Mets apparently asked about Cespedes and the Red Sox wanted Wheeler or deGrom, what on Earth? That's a little disrespectful from your lot, isn't it?

It's all about need. If the Mets wanted a young player with a big bat and a great glove in LF, they'd have had to make a painful sacrifice. They chose not too. Detroit could afford to lose Porcello, cuz they've got a great rotation w/o him. 

Meanwhile, we've also added Made Wiley and Justin Masterson to the rotation! 3 pitchers in a one day, I love it. And I bet we still go after a true ace like James Shields.

Edited by maqroll

Dodgers trade Matt Kemp to San Diego for Yasmani Grandal and prospects. Good trade for LA, not sure why SD made this trade, Grandal is a catcher on the up, Kemp is a hitter in decline, and now he's hitting in the biggest park in MLB.

This trade makes me sad. Not sure Grandal is on the up really? Numbers down since PED suspension and ACL surgery. Don't think he represents that much of an upgrade on AJ Ellis. The two young pitchers don't seem much cop either.

This trade makes me sad. Not sure Grandal is on the up really? Numbers down since PED suspension and ACL surgery. Don't think he represents that much of an upgrade on AJ Ellis. The two young pitchers don't seem much cop either.

I forgot about the injury. But he's still young and I think his ceiling is much higher than Kemp. Anyway, LA didn't want to sign the 30 yr old, often injured and inconsistent Kemp to big money, so they made the deal. Clearly they think Grandal is an improvement on Ellis. Time will tell. But Kemp's power is very patchy, even in Dodger Stadium. In Petco, he'll be a marginal power threat.

Mets apparently asked about Cespedes and the Red Sox wanted Wheeler or deGrom, what on Earth? That's a little disrespectful from your lot, isn't it?

It's all about need. If the Mets wanted a young player with a big bat and a great glove in LF, they'd have had to make a painful sacrifice. They chose not too. Detroit could afford to lose Porcello, cuz they've got a great rotation w/o him. 

Meanwhile, we've also added Made Wiley and Justin Masterson to the rotation! 3 pitchers in a one day, I love it. And I bet we still go after a true ace like James Shields.

Mets need good hitters though, not guys with power numbers who will be wasted at Citi. Not only that but Cespedes is someone we probably couldn't afford to resign. Giving up deGrom or Wheeler, 2 of the better young pitchers in baseball, for what would essentially be a 1 year rental would be madness.

Mets need good hitters though, not guys with power numbers who will be wasted at Citi. Not only that but Cespedes is someone we probably couldn't afford to resign. Giving up deGrom or Wheeler, 2 of the better young pitchers in baseball, for what would essentially be a 1 year rental would be madness.

And the Metropolitans agree! But why would it have only been a 1 year contract?

As for it being disrespectful, I have to disagree. Cespedes is a power hitter with Gold Glove defensive ability, and he's still quite young. Straight up for deGromm or Wheeler does not seem outlandish at all. But teams usually value pitching over hitting, and the Mets are no exception, it seems. With Harvey back, you will have a formidable rotation. Your lineup is a question mark though. 

I forgot about the injury. But he's still young and I think his ceiling is much higher than Kemp. Anyway, LA didn't want to sign the 30 yr old, often injured and inconsistent Kemp to big money, so they made the deal. Clearly they think Grandal is an improvement on Ellis. Time will tell. But Kemp's power is very patchy, even in Dodger Stadium. In Petco, he'll be a marginal power threat.

Kemp post the all-star break was almost at the 2011 MVP* level at the plate. Defensively and on the base paths he was a non factor however. He's hit REALLY well at Petco during his career thus far. No idea if SD achieves anything in the near future but this is a good move for them IMO.

Edited by parisvilla

And the Metropolitans agree! But why would it have only been a 1 year contract?

As for it being disrespectful, I have to disagree. Cespedes is a power hitter with Gold Glove defensive ability, and he's still quite young. Straight up for deGromm or Wheeler does not seem outlandish at all. But teams usually value pitching over hitting, and the Mets are no exception, it seems. With Harvey back, you will have a formidable rotation. Your lineup is a question mark though. 

Doesn't Cespedes contract run out after the 2015 season? With how tight the Mets are, I can't see them giving him a deal he would likely want.

Yeah our pitching is great, particularly with how well our pen performed over the 2nd half of last season. Lineup is pretty trash though. We really need to start spending a bit, but we won't. :(

That's where Cespedes could have made sense, and Boston probably viewed it that way too. Your rotation is so strong, that you (perhaps) could have dealt your 3rd starter for Cespedes, which would have been a pretty fair trade as long as you had a long term option on him. 

Kemp post the all-star break was almost at the 2011 MVP* level at the plate. Defensively and on the base paths he was a non factor however. He's hit REALLY well at Petco during his career thus far. No idea if SD achieves anything in the near future but this is a good move for them IMO.

It'll definitely put more bums in the seats. Kemp to me is a risky proposition, because at age 30, he has yet to put together two consecutive strong and injury-free seasons. Maybe he'll play looser under the dimmer media glare in SD, and maybe he'll have better luck with injuries. I hope it works out for him and SD. (until they play us.....)

It'll definitely put more bums in the seats. Kemp to me is a risky proposition, because at age 30, he has yet to put together two consecutive strong and injury-free seasons. Maybe he'll play looser under the dimmer media glare in SD, and maybe he'll have better luck with injuries. I hope it works out for him and SD. (until they play us.....)
Yep, I wish him an injury free stint too. Dodgers open the season against the Padres!

Â