Justify your Righteousness - Do you think you're a good person?

YLN

I've been a rocket polisher in my life. Who hasn't?

I've tried to make up for all the stupid things I have done by giving time to charity, being more respectful of others. One of the best things I have done is help give water to dying children in Africa (ok, not directly, but I saw my work have an impact).

It took me years to grow up though, I was 28 when I finally realised life was passing me by. I had to wake up soon, or simply miss out.

It sounds really stupid, but I set myself a goal of either helping, or being friendly/smiling at, at least three people in a day. It's the little things I think.

Have I done enough for all the air I have breathed? Probably not, but I (hopefully) will spend the rest of my life helping others. I just want to do all I can to help those around me and those further afield too. I would do anything for anybody if they needed it.

I can't really answer the question though, I think it is for those around me to decide.

Edit: My next target is to stop 'typing' like I know everything. I absolutely don't. I know I am quite forceful with my views and it annoys me too. Really.

I'm much easier to talk to face to face and I want to bring that though in things I write. I hope then I can help even more people, without it looking like I am too guarded and too opinionated.

Edited by DK82
  • Like 1

weighing everything up  , I'd like to think that all in all I'm a good person ... that I don't live in a third world country doesn't make me a bad one , so bite me

I give money to some causes and not to others , usually it's down to what is close to home  ..so I guess currently a starving kid on the streets of Delhi or Tigray doesn't 't affect me personally in the same way that having a close friend dying of cancer does at the moment  ... so cancer research is more likely to get my attention than famine is at this particular junction in time ... if that makes me selfish then so be it I'm not going to apologise for it

I've seen poverty  and starvation first hand around the planet  ... I've not seen charity drives and rock stars making a record for starving kids in North Korea  ... are they less deserving to be fed than starving kids in Africa  ? and if so why  ? and who decides  ?  and if you decide that the DPRK should take care of its own instead of spending money on weapons  , then so should India who have nukes and the space program  ... So no matter how you look at it the whole world is selfish and it isn't just down to having a mobile phone or fresh water

I haven't read the whole thread, I just dont have the inclination to justify i daily actions, one thing I will say that I do is lock myself away from as many people as possible and countless times I have been asked why I do it and my answer is always the same 'I think we are a horrible species' by me locking myself away and getting by on the bare minimum (I have sky but that is only so I can provide myself with the luxury of watching the boxing) my fridge and freezer is nearly always empty because I work pretty much on a buy to eat basis.

I don't live that way because of any moral implications I just think that 90% of the time people are words removed and I would prefer to spend as little time around them as possible.

I haven't read the whole thread, I just dont have the inclination to justify i daily actions, one thing I will say that I do is lock myself away from as many people as possible and countless times I have been asked why I do it and my answer is always the same 'I think we are a horrible species' by me locking myself away and getting by on the bare minimum (I have sky but that is only so I can provide myself with the luxury of watching the boxing) my fridge and freezer is nearly always empty because I work pretty much on a buy to eat basis.

I don't live that way because of any moral implications I just think that 90% of the time people are words removed and I would prefer to spend as little time around them as possible.

One man and his sky .

i think im a decent person, ive made mistakes like everyone but my heart is in the right place. i will help people out if i can and get on with most people but im probably not everyones cup of tea. i work hard to provide for my family and thats important to me.

As has been said, none of us choose where we're born, but if you're a typical Englander, if you're on the average wage, most of your money is accounted for on essentials such as food, a car to drive to work, a mortgage on a house we can't really afford and other bits and bobs. 

Of that £25k you'll maybe have 3/5k to spend on what you like.  So you go on holiday for a treat for a grand, because working like a little robot 9-5 (including maybe up to an hour commute), then by the time you've got back, had a shower, cooked your tea and ate it, whilst watching a bit of tv, you've maybe got 2 hours that are yours to do what you want.  Go to the pub? See some friends? Watch the footy?  See family?

Time is a precious commodity, I think much more than money, and I cannot fathomably feel guilty for living a relatively simple life compared to someone who was unfortunate enough to live in a poverty stricken part of the world. 

If you feel guilty for the children starving, the women getting raped by militants, crappy wars around the world, displacing millions, small children getting abused by their parents in a gorgeous home in the home counties in the UK, the old people who can't leave their flats because their drug abuser neighbours attack and intimidate, then you're not going to have a good time what-so-ever.

You're one person out of 7 billion.  As long as you're good to the people around you, maybe you toss a couple of quid in the bucket on those "annoying" (to some people ;)) wacky collection days in the office, sponsor someone running/cycling for charity you might know then you're doing yourself no disservice.

If I was offered to go and help someone and I could do it, I would, but my priorities in life are slightly different to survival, my life is about making myself the best I can be and to provide for my family.

• Like 2

Â