Funding a care home for my Mom

smetrov

Althzeimers \ Dementia has ripped through my mom in only a couple of years - My Dad has battled on manfully trying to care for her at home - but now she can barley walk, has frequent falls, and has very little short term memory...

Wots the process of funding, ? my parents live in rented accommodation, and have no significant savings

She has 3 kids including me - we could top up fees - but couldn't raise some of the figures mentioned...like £1100 pw !!

My own opinion is that she needs nursing care - and from what I understand this can be paid in full - provided mom is ill enough.....

She has social workers etc - who have been great - but obviously when it comes to funding they tow the official line ...

So any hints \ tips advice most welcome... 

Edited by limpid

Be very, very careful. They can be wonderful, invigorating environments or they can be a death sentence. Talking from experience with my grand mother. I'm not trying to frighten you, just helping you to express caution.

Can't help you with funding I'm afraid. Though there will no doubt be charities out there that will. Just don't be forced into placing her somewhere you're not completely comfortable with.

My nan went through similar about 12 years ago.... She had £80k in savings and was thus deemed to be wealthy and had to pay for her care home and treatment at a cost of £800 a week

She didn't have a house of her own otherwise I think that would also have had to been sold to pay for her care .

If your mum has assets you could look at gift aspects prior to a diagnoses if you wanted to try and protect the assets , but that's one for proper advise not a football forum

Eventually my nans pot of money ran out (think it was £10k she was allows to keep) and then she no longer had to pay and the state took over (she stayed in the same home / room)

they don't make next of kin pay so it sounds like a case of having someone diagnosing your mum as in need of care and letting the wheels start in motion

Edited by tonyh29

I'm pretty sure when my nan went into a a home the home used her state pension to part fund her stay, she wasn't wealthy, had no assets and no money so I think she was largely paid for by the government.

Best wishes man, there is no easy choice. My grandmother had full blown Alzheimer's for about 16 years, most of which was in a care home. Luckily the cost was covered by the sale of the family house, as well as her 6 kids, so the burden was spread out. 

Have you accessed any online support groups? A local group could have some very good info on what homes to avoid, how to finesse the bureaucracy, etc.

Â