England v Slovenia Euro 2016 Qualifier

andykeenan

Shearer? Gascoigne? Scholes? Id say they're great players we've seen play for England over the last 25 years.

Good players without a doubt, not quite the worlds elite. But I guess it's all about opinions. There's only 2 or 3 elite players around at a time.

Id say Scholes was in the worlds elite. Between 1995 & 2006 he was up there with zidane as the best midfielders in the world.

Was he really?

Never won PFA Player of the Year, never won MUFC Player Of The Year and only twice made it into the PFA Team of The Year.

Compare that to Zidane who has won FIFA World Player of the Year three times, the Ballon d'Or, Serie A Footballer of the Year, French Player of the Year two times and Ligue 1 Player of Year.

Hardly prolific for a player of Ronaldo's calibre though.

Yeah but he has had to play alongside some really piss poor offensive options for about a decade now. Messi's international career has been the biggest disappointment for me considering that he plays for a pretty decent nation. Still time of course.

Compared to all the greats Rooney has played with.

Rooney gets a really rough ride from England fans and I find it utterly galling.

It was the same for Beckham until he was dropped, you don't know what you've got till its gone. I've heard Sheares name mentioned in the thread as world class, he like Rooney had 1 good tournament was being called for to be dropped for certain spells and they have a comparable scoring record. Then walked away. Rooneys played Champions league football as well for 10 years. 5 league titles and a champions league winners medal, it pretty much shits on any other English players achievement for 30 years.

Shearer tended to score in the big games in tournaments, bit like Lineker. Euro 2000 for example, an instantly forgettable tournament for England, he scored the winner v Germany for England's first competitive win against them in god knows how long.

He also scored v Argies in France 98.

Not always his fault but Rooney just hasn't done that in the big knockout games down the years.

Shearer? Gascoigne? Scholes? Id say they're great players we've seen play for England over the last 25 years.

Good players without a doubt, not quite the worlds elite. But I guess it's all about opinions. There's only 2 or 3 elite players around at a time.

Id say Scholes was in the worlds elite. Between 1995 & 2006 he was up there with zidane as the best midfielders in the world.

Was he really?

Never won PFA Player of the Year, never won MUFC Player Of The Year and only twice made it into the PFA Team of The Year.

Compare that to Zidane who has won FIFA World Player of the Year three times, the Ballon d'Or, Serie A Footballer of the Year, French Player of the Year two times and Ligue 1 Player of Year.

Scholes has had a very similar career to Pirlo if you look at it.

Both broke through without ever majorly standing out of the sides until they hit their 30s, in Scholes case when the likes of Keane, Beckham left and he became the main man pulling the strings in the United midfield and Pirlo's career didn't really get going until Ancelotti signed him for Meelan when he was 24 I think. He wasn't even a regular for Italy until the 2006 world cup when he was 27.

Paul Scholes is definitely up there with the footballing Gods in my opinion.

He was absolutely criminally misused in the National team and he rightly retired after 98.

We should have built a team around him.  Xavi and Iniesta idolised him and loved his ball retention.  He could also score amazing goals and tap ins.

He could player the Gerrard (in his pomp) role as an all action midfielder, or he could play the Lampard, arrive in the box late, roles.  Later in his career he was used as a deep lying midfielder similar to Pirlo now, and his range of passing is amazing.

He didn't have the grace Zidane did, Zidane had the balance of a ballerina and the power of a bull, one of the greatest.

But Scholes wasn't very far behind, I don't think.

I could watch him all day, pinging 60 yard balls around.

• Like 1

Â