England v Slovenia Euro 2016 Qualifier

andykeenan

Oh **** off Rooney, you are shit. Acting like you are god because you scored a penalty.

That was great work by him for the goal. Took the game by the scruff of the neck, changed it in England's favour. Captains stuff.

Once England got into gear they played well. They wore a 10 man defence down and won comfortably after a kick up the arse. Good performance I thought, not sure what people expect still.

They should always qualify from this group, but there are some hardened teams within it, all prepared to stick 10 behind the ball and make it difficult enough, plus Switzerland who for all their faults do have pedigree now and a decent squad on paper, they themselves are struggling big time.

As it is England will now win this group at a canter. For a team labelled as shit by many, can't ask any more than that.

• Like 1

Elsewhere, San Marino held Estonia to a 0-0

And the faroes beat Greece last night!!

Come on the minnows!

Liechtenstein beat Moldova as well.

And Gibraltar only lost 4-0 to Germany.

How did Jack Wilshere get to be named MOTM??? - was he even playing?

It was a fairly mundane affair until Henderson scored the opener with a beautiful header - fair play to England though, the team upped a gear instantly and were deserved winners.

My MOTM was Wellbeck, thought he had a very decent game.

England do qualification pretty well and isn't the problem.

We need to learn something from the Germans about how to do tournament football. That is where we always let ourselves down.

I agree - doesn't help that we promote our younger players too quickly into the full set-up (sometimes justifiably) and then refuse to let them go to U21 tournaments.

If you look at the current Spanish, German, Italian and French teams a lot of their current squad have experienced U21 finals.

I'd love England to take a full strength squad to the U21 tournament next year, including the likes of Sterling, Chambers, Shaw etc it would really benefit them with experience of competetive tournament football. I feel England in recent years have baulked under pressure at full International events.

• Like 1

It was a fairly mundane affair until Henderson scored the opener with a beautiful header - fair play to England though, the team upped a gear instantly and were deserved winners.

Not pointing fingers at you, but England/English players tend to get criticised for things others get praised for. Jack played the ball around very well, did his job without fuss and put in good effort. But he wasn't "noticeable". Busquets, Schwienstieger, etc do that every week and get superlatives thrown at them left, right and centre. Baffles me, this trend of trying to knock everything England. Truly don't understand it.

• Like 4

Its the usual English mentality.

Build young players up to an unbelievably high standard and then spend the rest of their career moaning because they're not quite as good as we all thought they would be.

Sometimes it's justified. Often it's not

Not pointing fingers at you, but England/English players tend to get criticised for things others get praised for. Jack played the ball around very well, did his job without fuss and put in good effort. But he wasn't "noticeable". Busquets, Schwienstieger, etc do that every week and get superlatives thrown at them left, right and centre. Baffles me, this trend of trying to knock everything England. Truly don't understand it.

It's club prejudice and media hype.

Build young players up to an unbelievably high standard and then spend the rest of their career moaning because they're not quite as good as we all thought they would be.

I agree with this 100% and its definitely the medias fault. Rooneys a prime example. He will break the country's goal scoring record, gain over 100 caps and there's a debate to whether the guy is an England great...why because he isn't Messi or Ronaldo...although his international record is comparable to Messi's.

Now it's all about Sterling. He's had 1 good game for England. He's young and very inconsistent, he might make world class but I have my doubts. I mean we've been told how good jack Wilshere is now for 6 years, he's average. I wouldn't swap him for Delph, who's not top quality.

I would love to see a truly great player play for England, I don't think I've seen one in 25 years.

Shearer? Gascoigne? Scholes? Id say they're great players we've seen play for England over the last 25 years.

Good players without a doubt, not quite the worlds elite. But I guess it's all about opinions. There's only 2 or 3 elite players around at a time.

I agree with this 100% and its definitely the medias fault. Rooneys a prime example. He will break the country's goal scoring record, gain over 100 caps and there's a debate to whether the guy is an England great...why because he isn't Messi or Ronaldo...although his international record is comparable to Messi's.

Now it's all about Sterling. He's had 1 good game for England. He's young and very inconsistent, he might make world class but I have my doubts. I mean we've been told how good jack Wilshere is now for 6 years, he's average. I wouldn't swap him for Delph, who's not top quality.

I would love to see a truly great player play for England, I don't think I've seen one in 25 years.

On Rooney though.

I do think he's been a great England player. But I do think he is an example of someone who could have been better.

If you look at the shape that players like Bale and Ronaldo keep themselves in. I can't help but feel if Rooney had that sort of dedication he could have been on that level.

He's a great player. One of the best we've ever had. But his best tournament in an England shirt was 10 years ago. I just feel he could have been a world great rather than just an England great.

Shearer? Gascoigne? Scholes? Id say they're great players we've seen play for England over the last 25 years.

Good players without a doubt, not quite the worlds elite. But I guess it's all about opinions. There's only 2 or 3 elite players around at a time.

Id say Scholes was in the worlds elite. Between 1995 & 2006 he was up there with zidane as the best midfielders in the world.

• Like 1

I suppose Rooney will have to be considered an England great seeing as he is a centurion and will break the goalscoring record. But as Stevo eludes to, other than Euro 2004, he has never offered anything at tournaments. If he were to retire from international football tomorrow, what would he be best remembered for doing in an England shirt? For me, it hasn't been good enough but then you can say that about quite a few of the so called 'golden generation'.

Amusingly 5 Live did a programme in the week of Rooney's top 10 moments in an England shirt...I didn't listen to it but aside from euro 2004, his first start v Turkey when he was incredible and qualifying goals against minnows I'm wondering what else they picked.

He's been good but when you compare him to Shearer, Lineker, Charlton and even Owen and all did it in a few major tournaments.

Rooney has only performed well in one major tournament, and that tournament was a decade ago now. He has fully taken advantage of weak qualifying groups and friendlies in order to ratchet up his goal tally. The vast majority of his goals have been against weak sides and something like 6 of his 44 goals have been in major tournaments. 

To call him an England 'great' would be well wide of the mark, 'greats' achieve more than that Rooney has achieved. 

Rooney himself said this week that his best England moment was Euro 2004 (and his debut).

To be fair, he also said he shouldn't be considered a great because he's never won a tournament. Not sure I agree with the sentiment that you NEED to win a tournament to be "great", but it would indicate that maybe he's not totally happy himself with the level he reached.

Â