England v Slovenia Euro 2016 Qualifier

andykeenan

Whilst Rooney is a bit of a no show at international tournaments, the worlds best player in Ronaldo & has hardly done much better, hasn't Ronaldo only scored one goal at a WC & that was a pen against Iran?

Hardly prolific for a player of Ronaldo's calibre though.

Yeah but he has had to play alongside some really piss poor offensive options for about a decade now. Messi's international career has been the biggest disappointment for me considering that he plays for a pretty decent nation. Still time of course.

Shearer? Gascoigne? Scholes? Id say they're great players we've seen play for England over the last 25 years.

Good players without a doubt, not quite the worlds elite. But I guess it's all about opinions. There's only 2 or 3 elite players around at a time.

Id say Scholes was in the worlds elite. Between 1995 & 2006 he was up there with zidane as the best midfielders in the world.

Shearer in his prime was utterly brilliant and would have got in any team in the world. We haven't had a striker fit to lace his boots since he retired.

Yeah but he has had to play alongside some really piss poor offensive options for about a decade now. Messi's international career has been the biggest disappointment for me considering that he plays for a pretty decent nation. Still time of course.

messi has had some rubbish managers who dont know how to use all the attacking talent they had though, even the last world cup i dont think they set up very well, mascherano was so deep, they looked like the last 10 minutes of us vs bradford at times

Compared to all the greats Rooney has played with.

Rooney gets a really rough ride from England fans and I find it utterly galling.

Oh **** off Rooney, you are shit. Acting like you are god because you scored a penalty.

1. He wasn;t acting like a God.

2. It was his excellent run and determination that won the penalty.

3, He had the bollocks to step up and smash an unstoppable penalty against a GK with a top record.

Clown..

Ronaldo has played pretty well in the Euros, just not the World Cups.

Ronaldo was pretty good in 2006 and was robbed of best young player because of his wink, 2010 and 2014 he was not in great physical shape especially last summer

Rooney gets a really rough ride from England fans and I find it utterly galling.

Ronney has played alongside better players than Helder Postiga, Hugo Almeida and Nani, yeah.

Ronaldo was pretty good in 2006 and was robbed of best young player because of his wink, 2010 and 2014 he was not in great physical shape especially last summer

This is true.

It was the same for Beckham until he was dropped, you don't know what you've got till its gone. I've heard Sheares name mentioned in the thread as world class, he like Rooney had 1 good tournament was being called for to be dropped for certain spells and they have a comparable scoring record. Then walked away. Rooneys played Champions league football as well for 10 years. 5 league titles and a champions league winners medal, it pretty much shits on any other English players achievement for 30 years.

Rooney has a better goalscoring record, trophy cabinet and international record for example than Thierry Henry yet he gets nowhere near the same respect. Think Rooney problem is a lot ofhis "critics" expected him to have won the World Cup singlehandedly for England by now

if he was any other nationality he would be loved by that country

Rooney has a better goalscoring record, trophy cabinet and international record for example than Thierry Henry yet he gets nowhere near the same respect. Think Rooney problem is a lot ofhis "critics" expected him to have won the World Cup singlehandedly for England by now

I agree I was just making a point he's been a success. Many thought he could have been an all time great when he was young...maybe he could have been, but he's not had a bad career. He will probably be England's and Manchester Uniteds all time goal scoring record holder not bad for someone who's "shit".

my biggest problem with him is i think his temperament is detrimental to the team when we start to struggle in the big game in the latter stages, when the chips are down and we start to struggle rooney of the rovers comes out, but i also think thats partly due to a lot of our managers dont know how to utilise him properly, which when you consider he often remarks that he wants to be a number 9 is hardly surprising, rooney as a fluid front 3 will work IMO rooney as the tip of the spear never has and never will, he hasnt got the positional discipline to make it work, too often welbeck and rooney try and do the same thing, both drift too deep or in to the same space meaning we have nothing up top, i know someone will say he scored 30 goals playing there for utd one year but that was in a different team to what we have for england

i think now with rooney on the ball with sturridge and welbeck running past him things could look really good, wasnt that the switzerland line up? but that leaves out wonder boy sterling and once again we will have an unbalanced attack that rooney will get blamed for, cant play all 4, rooney and then 2 others IMO one of which has to play ahead of him, it also leaves out walcott, who is usually used as a right winger, which makes us look unbalanced, walcott hitting the byline and crossing to no one because rooney has dropped deep, again thats not his game

worst thing we can do IMO is welbeck left wing - rooney middle - walcott right wing and im pretty sure we used that a lot under roy

still better than the days of rooney up top with gerrard playing off him, **** me that was horrific 

Shearer? Gascoigne? Scholes? Id say they're great players we've seen play for England over the last 25 years.

Gazza is the closes to the word great since Bobby Charlton but I wouldn't class anybody else as we never went any further than quarter finals in tournament and nobody has really excelled in a tournament. Linekar was a world class finisher. 

my biggest problem with him is i think his temperament is detrimental to the team when we start to struggle in the big game in the latter stages, when the chips are down and we start to struggle rooney of the rovers comes out, but i also think thats partly due to a lot of our managers dont know how to utilise him properly, which when you consider he often remarks that he wants to be a number 9 is hardly surprising, rooney as a fluid front 3 will work IMO rooney as the tip of the spear never has and never will, he hasnt got the positional discipline to make it work, too often welbeck and rooney try and do the same thing, both drift too deep or in to the same space meaning we have nothing up top, i know someone will say he scored 30 goals playing there for utd one year but that was in a different team to what we have for england

i think now with rooney on the ball with sturridge and welbeck running past him things could look really good, wasnt that the switzerland line up? but that leaves out wonder boy sterling and once again we will have an unbalanced attack that rooney will get blamed for, cant play all 4, rooney and then 2 others IMO one of which has to play ahead of him, it also leaves out walcott, who is usually used as a right winger, which makes us look unbalanced, walcott hitting the byline and crossing to no one because rooney has dropped deep, again thats not his game

worst thing we can do IMO is welbeck left wing - rooney middle - walcott right wing and im pretty sure we used that a lot under roy

still better than the days of rooney up top with gerrard playing off him, **** me that was horrific 

I agree, I don't think all four of Rooney, Wellbeck, Sturridge and Sterling can play. I wasn't very impressed with Sterling against Slovenia and his form for Liverpool hasn't been great so he's the one to drop to the bench I think. Not sure that Henderson and Lallana are really good enough either. 

I am not bashing Rooney, I am a fan, but Henry had well over a 1 in 2 record for Arsenal, has the same amount of CL (1), 3 more FA cups, scored goals atand won the World Cup, and Euro 2000.

• Like 1

Gazza is the closes to the word great since Bobby Charlton but I wouldn't class anybody else as we never went any further than quarter finals in tournament and nobody has really excelled in a tournament. Linekar was a world class finisher.

Oh the Gazza myth again. It's perpetuated throughout the years as an England great yet was only good for a flittering time in an England shirt. He hit nowhere near his potential, yet people love him, yet Rooney atm gets stick for being pretty consistent for 10 years

• Like 1

Â