Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Deal breaker for me is that a car has to have a CD player, and be able to stream Spotify via Bluetooth. Don't give a shit about radio, never listen to it. 

Same. My wife's car doesn't have a CD player. No chance I would own it. 

My car doesn’t have a CD player. Which is great, CD’s take up too much space in a car.

I’ve got about 30 or 40 albums on a usb, BBC Radio 6 and a bit of BBC Radio 4 for when I want to listen in on the enemy.

You guys with the need for a CD player need to get with it, your day has been and gone.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Probably something most of you 'won't get' but I actually prefer driving in silence and turn off whatever music /radio /CD the wife has left on when I get in the car. 

Unless you own a Maybach, I presume by silence you mean road and engine noise?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

No DAB radio.

No car without a DAB is worth buying at all

No car without a DAB can be rightfully called Superb

Everything else could be perfect about a car but no DAB would be a deal breaker

If I was ever buying a car it would be my first question and if the answer is wrong I'd walk away

And no, streaming from your phone is not the same, the feed cuts out, other apps interfere (in game ads notoriously and sounds from other apps also comes out at the same time)

People think I'm mad when I say this but it would be an absolute deal breaker, I generally listen to DAB only radio channels

Car manufacturers have had plenty of time to get this right now yet a lot still fit AM/FM radios.

Are aftermarket radios still a thing nowadays? Car dashboards look so complex now, it doesn't look as easy as the old single or double din space for aftermarket stuff. 

I've got an aftermarket Pioneer set up, with sat nav and DAB, but my car is old so it fitted nicely. 

8 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I may have told you this one before.

Many years ago me and a mate were sitting in a quiet boozer in Brum. Proper spit and sawdust place with really nice draught beer. Anyway, a couple of pints down and in walks Ali Campbell. He orders his drink and then goes over to the jukebox and puts on 'Red Red **** Wine'...

Me and my mate could barely contain our sniggering.

Was it the Eagle and Tun? That's got history for UB40 hasn't it. 

Sadly demolished now to make way for HS2 :( 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are aftermarket radios still a thing nowadays? Car dashboards look so complex now, it doesn't look as easy as the old single or double din space for aftermarket stuff. 

I've got an aftermarket Pioneer set up, with sat nav and DAB, but my car is old so it fitted nicely. 

Out of likes but I miss going in to Halfords and mooching round for car stuff, never need to these days with modern cars and online shopping.

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Was it the Eagle and Tun? That's got history for UB40 hasn't it. 

Sadly demolished now to make way for HS2 :( 

The one and only time I've been in there RRW was the home screen of the jukebox. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

DOn't think so

12 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Out of likes but I miss going in to Halfords and mooching round for car stuff, never need to these days with modern cars and online shopping.

Fletchers was the place up in Brum. Used to be in there every other weekend in the 90s.

I dont get the petrol thing. Once you've got petrol thats it right? Or is it people filling up cans? It's not like people are moaning about queuing to fill up, filling up, then just driving 500 miles to then join another queue later in the day when they need more. People arent driving any.more than usual? I dont get the maths of it I think I mean. It's not like toilet rolls where people could stockpile hundreds.

59 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I dont get the petrol thing. Once you've got petrol thats it right? Or is it people filling up cans? It's not like people are moaning about queuing to fill up, filling up, then just driving 500 miles to then join another queue later in the day when they need more. People arent driving any.more than usual? I dont get the maths of it I think I mean. It's not like toilet rolls where people could stockpile hundreds.

Most people refuel when their car has significantly less than a quarter of a tank remaining, which limits the number of people interested in refueling on a given day. However, as soon as people catch wind of shortages, they want to make sure their car is fully fueled even if it has half a tank or more remaining. This leads to short-term pressure on the system and very busy forecourts.

You're right that over the longer term, it shouldn't make much difference. People who fill up now won't need to fill up again as fast, and if the reports and signs of the system under pressure disappear, then there should be some slower than usual days and weeks ahead. However, the picture is more complicated if the situation appears to be remaining bad; some people will continue to refuel very early, maintaining pressure, while others may decide to drive fewer miles and look for transport alternatives, relieving pressure from the system. Which of those effects is more powerful probably depends on multiple factors, like where you are and what proportion of people in the area *need* to drive, the price of the fuel now and expectations of future price, etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turvontour said:

Just one tale of many

Typical grannie, goes to the supermarket and back in her car. Openly saying she uses about £20 a month but fills the tank with £80 of fuel

Around these ways, there will be plenty like that and because everyone knows thats how they'll behave, it encourages others to do exactly the same so they don't get caught out

It was very amusing watching all the people looking shifty on the forecourt and for some reason they always look at me (in a taxi) and look sheepishly guilty because they know what they are doing is wrong and it may impact people like me's income.

I've currently got about 1/4 tank left and I'm going to have to go out and look for fuel this afternoon otherwise I can't work tonight. I spotted a couple of garages that looked like they had diesel last night even if it is the Super Diesel I'm going to have to buy it to work tonight, otherwise I'll have to stop working just so I can get into work for the first few days of the week

• Like 2

Its people doing things without thinking ( quite a lot of that these days ) over here when it says on the news that petrol is going up tomorrow you get ques of cars all over the place filling up their tanks.People dont think that if their tank is half full now and they rush out to fill up because there is a price rise tomorrow.How much are they actually saving.They are using time,effort and petrol to make a special trip to fill up half a tank and because of that, they are saving what ?!  

• Like 1

Esso garage near us has obviously had a delivery, word is obviously going around Grannynet as the queues are forming. I managed to get some so I can work tonight which is a bit of a relief. Watching the Granny in front of me sticking a fiver in he Fiat Uno and then the fuel coming out over the brim and onto the forecourt. Still trying to put more in, spills over again. She must have put 2 quid of the fiver on the concrete

Insane people

EDIT, they had signs up saying maximum £30 but no actual mechanism to enforce that

Â