Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Skoda Superb, when they started getting good.

No DAB radio.

No car without a DAB is worth buying at all

No car without a DAB can be rightfully called Superb

Everything else could be perfect about a car but no DAB would be a deal breaker

If I was ever buying a car it would be my first question and if the answer is wrong I'd walk away

And no, streaming from your phone is not the same, the feed cuts out, other apps interfere (in game ads notoriously and sounds from other apps also comes out at the same time)

People think I'm mad when I say this but it would be an absolute deal breaker, I generally listen to DAB only radio channels

Car manufacturers have had plenty of time to get this right now yet a lot still fit AM/FM radios.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

good points on the LOTR stuff, but I have to take exception to this, Joy Division were not the only good group on the list, and on the other hand we were being told Birmingham is great because Duran Duran sold 100m records yesterday, so.

Well they were in comparison to UB40

I may have toldd this story before. We have a Jamaican lad as driver and he picked me up in town one night, we got talking about Jamaican music, so I asked him who his favourite reggae band was hoping for maybe something I hadn't heard of to explore... UB40 *gobsmacked*

59 minutes ago, bickster said:

No DAB radio.

And no, streaming from your phone is not the same, the feed cuts out, other apps interfere (in game ads notoriously and sounds from other apps also comes out at the same time)

It's one thing just plugging in an aux lead to use the car speakers as the sound output. That's a bit crap and old-fashioned. With Android Auto (and I presume Apple's equivalent), very few apps are given permission to even display notifications, much less make noise. Pretty much just specific messaging apps you enable, specific music services you enable, and whichever navigation system you use.

You're happy with your setup, so I won't try to talk you out of it, but I tried out a couple of radio stations when I left my phone home at home once, and after a few minutes decided that I preferred silence to listening to tedious gobshites. Even if there were radio stations with much higher ratios of music to bollocks, there don't seem to be any at all that cater to my music taste, it's not for me. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

No DAB radio.

No car without a DAB is worth buying at all

No car without a DAB can be rightfully called Superb

Everything else could be perfect about a car but no DAB would be a deal breaker

If I was ever buying a car it would be my first question and if the answer is wrong I'd walk away

People think I'm mad when I say this but it would be an absolute deal breaker, I generally listen to DAB only radio channels

Car manufacturers have had plenty of time to get this right now yet a lot still fit AM/FM radios.

When I bought my Polo 2 years ago I nearly bought a Seat Ibiza instead until I realised the Ibiza "Technology" didn't have a DAB radio even though other models did.  I pointed out to the salesman the irony in calling it the "technology" model but not including DAB and he just looked at me blankly. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Well they were in comparison to UB40

I may have toldd this story before. We have a Jamaican lad as driver and he picked me up in town one night, we got talking about Jamaican music, so I asked him who his favourite reggae band was hoping for maybe something I hadn't heard of to explore... UB40 *gobsmacked*

I'm like that when I'm in a pub with a long range of real ale taps and some word removed comes in and orders a pint of Tetley Bitter or Brew XI or the like. 

You mental? 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's one thing just plugging in an aux lead to use the car speakers as the sound output. That's a bit crap and old-fashioned. With Android Auto (and I presume Apple's equivalent), very few apps are given permission to even display notifications, much less make noise. Pretty much just specific messaging apps you enable, specific music services you enable, and whichever navigation system you use.

You're happy with your setup, so I won't try to talk you out of it, but I tried out a couple of radio stations when I left my phone home at home once, and after a few minutes decided that I preferred silence to listening to tedious gobshites. Even if there were radio stations with much higher ratios of music to bollocks, there don't seem to be any at all that cater to my music taste, it's not for me. 

There are certain shows on 6Music I'm a huge listener of. Steve Lamaq, Mark Riley, Gideon Coe, Stuart Maconies Freak Zone and few other occasionals like Cerys Matthews on a Sunday. They also tend to be on when I'm out in the car working. When those shows aren't on, it tends to be spotify. I've tried streaming it in other cars with no DAB and its bobbins, especially as I use my phone for taking payments and stupid games whilst I'm waiting

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

I may have told you this one before.

Many years ago me and a mate were sitting in a quiet boozer in Brum. Proper spit and sawdust place with really nice draught beer. Anyway, a couple of pints down and in walks Ali Campbell. He orders his drink and then goes over to the jukebox and puts on 'Red Red **** Wine'...

Me and my mate could barely contain our sniggering.

A long long time ago there was a band called JoJo and the Real People in Liverpool, they later changed their name to just The Real People. The Jojo version wrote a song that Cher recorded a few years later(earned them shitloads)

I knew the Real People quite well, hung around in the same circles. I walked into a bar around the time that channel The Box - Music TV that you control was on cable. The bar had it on to provide the music, I bought a pint and noticed the Real People were sat at a table giggling their heads off, so i went and sat with them and asked them what was so funny.

Their A&R man had left his mobile phone behind and was currently on a train to London, they were in possession of it. They were literally texting The Box, to play the Cher version of their song because the A & R mans phone was paying for the texts and they were earning the royalties :mrgreen:

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

especially as I use my phone for taking payments and stupid games whilst I'm waiting

Ah yeah, I can see why that's your experience if you use your phone for working and just while waiting as well, that sounds like a complete pain. For me, I plug it in, stick my phone in the glove box, control it all through the head unit, and it's just like a really good factory fitted unit.

I was just doing a bit of searching for radio stations, and there is absolutely nothing I'm interested in on DAB but I have spent the last  hour or so flicking between some online only stations on https://onlineradiobox.com/, I think I'll be having it on while I work now, my Spotify playlists all tend to blur into exactly the same music far too often for me to listen to it all day very day.

58 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Don’t think I’ve ever listened to the radio in my own car ever. It’s always a rotation of a handful of cds I’ve randomly chucked in the glovebox. 

I've owned my car for 2 and a half years and I've never put a CD in the player

Then again I've got a memory card with all my music on.  But I only play that on the rare occasions that I can't find anything on the 5 or so saved radio stations I have. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Â