Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Cake. I don't get it at all. It's normally way too sweet, too creamy, too yukky. It's full of calories and not a very good meal.

But still people talk it up like it's some sort of pinnacle of dining. You should get a slice for desert. Your wife/gf whatever will make it. People will bring it and people will offer it. 

It's like it's some kind of culturally accepted food for great occations, that's supposed to be liked, despite it's incredibly filling, doesn't have very good flavours and is very unhealthy.

**** that. I'd prefer pretty much anything else. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Cake. I don't get it at all. It's normally way too sweet, too creamy, too yukky. It's full of calories and not a very good meal.

But still people talk it up like it's some sort of pinnacle of dining. You should get a slice for desert. Your wife/gf whatever will make it. People will bring it and people will offer it. 

It's like it's some kind of culturally accepted food for great occations, that's supposed to be liked, despite it's incredibly filling, doesn't have very good flavours and is very unhealthy.

Yes!  Thank you.  
I think the cake hating minority has to suffer in silence.

I guess like people who hate dogs.

Cake is a wide and varying subject though 

I'm really not a fan of a Victoria sponge cake, huge fan of English style non baked cheesecake but can take or leave the baked ones, I'm all over a black forest gateaux and fruit cakes 

The problem I have is the wife loves to make them but she's not crazy good at them... Despite how many times I tell her not to do it and even explain the science of it she will always put a cake in the fridge and it goes dry as a bone 

On 04/06/2021 at 23:11, mjmooney said:

I suppose this should go in "Things You Often Wonder", but... 

Why can't you get mouse flavour cat food? 

Why is there no mouse flavoured cat food? - Water Cooler

Spoiler

it's not real

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

cake isn't a meal, its a treat you have with a cup of tea or coffee

You run three times a week and go to the gym four, why the hell do you care about calories?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Yes!  Thank you.  
I think the cake hating minority has to suffer in silence.

I guess like people who hate dogs.

Gave you a like as completely agree about cake. Used to get weird looks when I'd refuse some and say I didn't like cake. Same reply every time "what, not even on your birthday". Had to bite my tongue and not say "I just told you I don't like it why the hell would I want it on my frigging birthday you tool!" 

Took the like away due to your last line. Nobody hates dogs. That'd be crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

You run three times a week and go to the gym four, why the hell do you care about calories?

The more you work out the more you care about calories. You don't ruin all the hard work by eating junk. Same reason I have more non-alcoholic beer in the house then I do alcoholic. 

This is the main one I drink if anyone is interested:

https://drynks.store/products/smashed-pale

Absolutely fantastic, actually beer with the alcohol removed rather than cheap sweet rubbish and only 54 calories a tin. 

Their larger is really good too. 

I've not tried the non-alcoholic cider. That's clearly just apple juice. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

The more you work out the more you care about calories. You don't ruin all the hard work by eating junk. Same reason I have more non-alcoholic beer in the house then I do alcoholic. 

I'm sorry, that's just a file under does not compute for me

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, bickster said:

Hehe, ye. But comedy aside, the less I care about working out, the less I care about calories. The more I workout, the more I care. No idea why.

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I agree to a certain point. 

The trend seems to be for cakes massively over coated in icing sugar or butter cream/fondant. 

The middle/topping should be fairly thin, just a smattering of the extra sweet stuff, not loaded on completely overpowering the actual cake itself. 

The trend for these impossible to eat cupcakes with 4 inches of icing on top just baffles me. 

Much of how @KenjiOgiwara describes Cake is how I feel about Champagne.

This obsession with it being some kind of special drink and essential for celebrations. It's just shit, it tastes shit and costs a fortune. Whichever ancient marketing guru positioned Champagne onto it's pedestal was a genius, almost (but not quite) as clever as the Guinness marketing team. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

I quite like wine, but I'm no expert and I can't taste the finer differences like some do at all. In fact I'm embarrassingly bad at it. But I dare say the less sweet a bubbling wine is, the better.

In my personal opinion champagne and cremant is much much better than prosecco, not that I'd even tell an Italian that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I quite like wine, but I'm no expert and I can't taste the finer differences like some do at all. In fact I'm embarrassingly bad at it. But I dare say the less sweet a bubbling wine is, the better.

In my personal opinion champagne and cremant is much much better than prosecco, not that I'd even tell an Italian that.

I don't touch wine, gets me pissed too quick and not in a fun way, don't think I've ever bought a bottle of wine that wasn't for cooking, drank a fair few free ones at weddings and Xmas parties etc

Champagne is shite, prosecco is just about OK, asti is good, some asti with your turkey at Xmas is about all I stretch to 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Much of how @KenjiOgiwara describes Cake is how I feel about Champagne.

This obsession with it being some kind of special drink and essential for celebrations. It's just shit, it tastes shit and costs a fortune. Whichever ancient marketing guru positioned Champagne into it's position was a genius, almost (but not quite) as clever as the Guinness marketing team. 

asks mr bean GIF

You just ... you had to ruin it didn't you? You had to go there.

watching you nick offerman GIF

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Â