Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'll maintain the smartphone is one of the most damaging devices invented in terms of the impact it has on people in social scenarios. 

Completely agree but I'm literally typing this post mid dump so I'm in a philosophical quandary  It's still a  lot better than the 80's I guess where my mom had to transcribe my thoughts whilst stood outside the bathroom and then mail them into Readers Digest on a daily basis.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They're not all bad by any means. Having directions to anywhere you need to go, information about local restaurants and attractions, being able to look up any piece of information or catch up on the news in any place at any time is incredible.

There are plenty of drawbacks, but most of them stem from people's lack of etiquette.

It should be no more socially acceptable to pull out your phone and start checking updates and posting to social media while out having dinner or drinks with people than it would be to pull out a paperback and start reading in their company, imo.

And as for selfie rocket polishers and clearings in the woods who watch every event they go to through their **** camera...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It should be no more socially acceptable to pull out your phone and start checking updates and posting to social media while out having dinner or drinks with people than it would be to pull out a paperback and start reading in their company, imo.

And as for selfie rocket polishers and clearings in the woods who watch every event they go to through their **** camera...

tenor.gif?itemid=5157913

• Haha 1

Motorhomes.

I'm getting into camping, go to a new place every month is the plan, explore the sites, see the town, get some fresh air, eat at new places,  get some exercise, shut off the tech,  great stuff. Went this week - campsite full of motorhomes.

To use the word I am not fond of, absolute boomers. Fat red faced brexiteers and their motor homes. They rock up - they all know each other as they obviously go to the same park everytime. "Hi Steve! Hi Barbara!" Cut to scenes of absolute bantz between the lads.

They sit out their motor home from day until night, tops off, beer bellies , tomato face, no shame. Popping corks at 10 am. "Waahay!"

...or they sit in their motorhomes watching TV.

I can do all that at home.

Absolute weirdos.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Motorhomes.

I'm getting into camping, go to a new place every month is the plan, explore the sites, see the town, get some fresh air, eat at new places,  get some exercise, shut off the tech,  great stuff. Went this week - campsite full of motorhomes.

To use the word I am not fond of, absolute boomers. Fat red faced brexiteers and their motor homes. They rock up - they all know each other as they obviously go to the same park everytime. "Hi Steve! Hi Barbara!" Cut to scenes of absolute bantz between the lads.

They sit out their motor home from day until night, tops off, beer bellies , tomato face, no shame. Popping corks at 10 am. "Waahay!"

...or they sit in their motorhomes watching TV.

I can do all that at home.

Absolute weirdos.

Sounds horrendous. 

But you do realise that you will end up like them one day if you carry on camping (ooh matron intended). You’ll upgrade your tent, and as the years go by you’ll be less comfortable on the floor, bones will be aching and you’ll be wealthier and start thinking about getting a motor home. 

I hope you don’t for your sake, but I can see how it happens. 

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Sounds horrendous. 

But you do realise that you will end up like them one day if you carry on camping (ooh matron intended). You’ll upgrade your tent, and as the years go by you’ll be less comfortable on the floor, bones will be aching and you’ll be wealthier and start thinking about getting a motor home. 

I hope you don’t for your sake, but I can see how it happens. 

I see what you are saying, you make a concession here and there, you make an exception here and there, and 20 years pass and you're a fat beetroot headed boomer who knows all 40 pitchers on the local campsite.

No, already had the discussion, we can have a solid 20 years of camping and then we are done. You get in you get out. No motor home, no **** champagne at 9am.

You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.

We're not going to become part of the system man.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 3

On 29/05/2021 at 02:40, Brumerican said:

He's pretty much considered the OG of ASMR these days even if it was by accident (A happy little one obviously)

Yep I used to download episodes of The Joy of Painting about 12 years ago. I liked to put them on and nap to them.

That was years before I ever knew ASMR was a thing

I don’t get camping at all. Never thought I’d enjoy it, and tried it once and it was horrendous . Pissed down all night, tent leaked, then woke up gasping for air . Don’t mind caravan holidays. As for motorhomes, I can see the appeal in having one, but they are too expensive and I’d get bored quick.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Motor home people disgust me.

Sure sign of a deviant.

Just paint ‘free candy’ on the outside and be done with it.

Vyrryl5.jpg

Ready for a bank holiday away

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Fat red faced brexiteers and their motor homes. They rock up - they all know each other as they obviously go to the same park everytime. "Hi Steve! Hi Barbara!" Cut to scenes of absolute bantz between the lads.

Sounds ace! 

That's the summer holiday sorted. 

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don’t get camping at all. Never thought I’d enjoy it, and tried it once and it was horrendous .

happy kenneth williams GIF

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don’t get camping at all. Never thought I’d enjoy it, and tried it once and it was horrendous . Pissed down all night, tent leaked, then woke up gasping for air . Don’t mind caravan holidays. As for motorhomes, I can see the appeal in having one, but they are too expensive and I’d get bored quick.

This, this and this

Camping is **** shit, micky flanagan is bang on about it 

Caravans (the big static kind) are tinged with nostalgia which papers over the cracks and still has an appeal even if the better sites are now horrendously expensive, got fond memories of kiln Park in tenby

Motorhome I always liked the idea of the grand road trip across the states or Canada and now as I've got older Norway but it would be for a large trip, not popping round Kent, air bnbs and the ability to usually find decent priced places means I'm not sure the hassle would be worth it, for example I've done the Scottish Highlands twice now, I'm not sure you need a Motorhome, last time I did a lucky dip car rental got a brand new c class merc and hopped around £40 a night bnbs, the motor home wouldn't be cheaper or more fun to drive 

• Like 3

We had a static caravan as a kid, we'd be of there every other weekend through the season and have longer stays sometimes in the holidays. When the caravan got old my parents decided to get a motorhome instead, wanting more flexibility in our time away.

So instead of going to the same place every other weekend for most of the year, we went to a different place every holiday in a big awkward van, usually staying on the same plot in the same site each time.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Gourmet cat and dog foot.  WTAF?

I suppose this should go in "Things You Often Wonder", but... 

Why can't you get mouse flavour cat food? 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I suppose this should go in "Things You Often Wonder", but... 

Why can't you get mouse flavour cat food? 

Cos cats don't eat mice. They just terrify them for a bit, then rip them apart and leave them in the kitchen.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2021 at 22:18, Xela said:

I still need noise to sleep! I can't stand utter silence at night. I usually have a fan on in the room, purely for the whirring noise. I find it relaxing. 

I still don't like white noise. Reminds me of the 80s when my parents used to hire the babysitter, an go out saying they will be back at 10 and rolling in at 1200-1300 when the 3/4 channels on the tv had finished. Think I'm mentally scared.😆

Â