Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

That's why ASMR doesn't work on everybody because they still havent figured out how to play along with it inside the brain .  I don't get it from whispers at all,  in fact I have the sound off usually as the stuff I watch is full of the sound of cars beeping horns.  My strongest ASMR trigger is watching head and ear massage (On the noisy streets of India usually) and apparently the physical tingles  are caused by your thoughts resonating with the same frequency our evolutionary  ancestors produced in their brains during social grooming activities.  Time for the troop to relax sort of thing.

I like ASMR in theory. But a lot of it on YouTube is shit. It’s just people doing random shit because they think it’s sounds nice. Or the worst ones, the weird role plays like a woman pretending to give you a haircut or whatever. 

I like the stuff that is someone just doing something and talking in relaxing tones. 

There’s one on YouTube and it’s just a woman folding towels but it’s perfect to go to sleep to

I... dabble... with ASMR. I know of people that have watched some ASMR content every day for years now, whereas I might watch something a couple of times a month. Usually something like a roleplay one but I find some don't have the right effect even when they're fundamentally the same concept.

I first came across the phenomenon before it was A Thing. When I was a kid I would watch Bob Ross and get that feeling of calm, relaxation, tingling in my back. I didn't know what it was back then, but seems like it's something a lot of people experience. Since then I've found a lot of content where someone is doing something intricate or abstract expertly and either being intensely focused or explaining their work has the same effect on me.

And I still get it from YouTube stuff. I've watched people doing Japanese printing, a methodical process where ink is applied to a series of wood blocks and a piece of paper is rubbed over them to build up a picture, basically in silence apart from the sound of the paper rubbing, and found it intensely relaxing. Likewise I've got the same thing from people pretending give you an eye test. Or a video literally of a guy getting a haircut.

It's a really odd thing. But it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

When I was a kid I would watch Bob Ross and get that feeling of calm, relaxation, tingling in my back.

He's pretty much considered the OG of ASMR these days even if it was by accident (A happy little one obviously)

7 hours ago, Xela said:

I still need noise to sleep! I can't stand utter silence at night. I usually have a fan on in the room, purely for the whirring noise. I find it relaxing. 

For the last couple of years I cannot sleep unless I have thunderstorms playing on my Alexa, I find it so relaxing

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brumerican said:

He's pretty much considered the OG of ASMR these days even if it was by accident (A happy little one obviously)

Happy Bob Ross GIF by Violent Professional

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blandy said:

frequency is not a thing. It's a rate of variation of a thing, not the thing itself. Like length (fnarr) isn't a thing, it's a measurement of a dimension of a thing. Frequency isn't interchangeable with Mass or Energy. It's also arguable whether Mass and Energy are totally interchangeable, given there is mass-less energy (bosons) - if E=MC2, then a boson can't have energy, but it does.

edit - mass is also a property of a thing, not the thing itself, obviously

What about girth 

• Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

I still need noise to sleep! I can't stand utter silence at night. I usually have a fan on in the room, purely for the whirring noise. I find it relaxing. 

Get yourself one of these.  I was the same with the fans, loved the noise and hated not having them on over Winter, picked up one of these about 6 months ago and it's been great.

Dohm classic | Natural Sound Machines | Marpac

My wife's sleep habits are the polar opposite of mine; she needs complete silence and prefers light, I like noise and want pitch-black darkness (attribute this to growing up with the heavy-duty roller/shutter blinds in Germany, could be the middle of the day but you dropped one of those and not a single beam of light could get in) so we alternate nights; when I don't have the Dohm on I've got about 40gb of ambient/drone music on my iPod that does the trick.

• Thanks 1

I’m not exactly sure  what it  is my wife uses to relax herself in bed at night, but it seems to do the trick. It’s like a buzzing noise. She’s out for the count after two minutes. Keep meaning to ask her what it is. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’m not exactly sure  what it  is my wife uses to relax herself in bed at night, but it seems to do the trick. It’s like a buzzing noise. She’s out for the count after two minutes. Keep meaning to ask her what it is. 

image.png.c52faad06b9184b13280b7baf6e35c7d.png

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

It's hard to tell if that's a great tee up from ruge or if he meant something else 

He's a generous man and set it up nicely...... Unless he was fishing for a KW of course in which case it was a weak effort. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Its your old mate helping out

SilverSpectacularDouglasfirbarkbeetle-ma

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â