Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

This idea that pubs make their money on food is bollocks surely? Some pubs maybe

The vast majority of the chains make their money on the alcohol sales surely, the idea that margins on booze are low is something that the gobshite  in the Brexit Chain will tell you because he sells at such low prices.

All the other low price, 2 for 1, sizzling testicles, big grub pubs cant possibly be making money on food (or much anyway) when you take into account kitchen staff, ingredients and power but they'll be making much more on the booze as they'll be selling booze from their own breweries

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

This idea that pubs make their money on food is bollocks surely? Some pubs maybe

The vast majority of the chains make their money on the alcohol sales surely, the idea that margins on booze are low is something that the gobshite  in the Brexit Chain will tell you because he sells at such low prices.

All the other low price, 2 for 1, sizzling testicles, big grub pubs cant possibly be making money on food (or much anyway) when you take into account kitchen staff, ingredients and power but they'll be making much more on the booze as they'll be selling booze from their own breweries

Id say they make more on booze. You pay through the nose for alcoholic drinks in pub chains that do food .

• Like 1

I once had the pleasure of being in a Wetherspoons late on a Sunday night when they were doing staff training. They were running a DVD over the screens that usually had SkySportsNews on. Highlights included them introducing a meatball marinara sandwich to take on Subway. The training video was giving instructions on what they needed to do to prepare the order. I am not exaggerating what follows.

1. Take meatball bag from freezer.

2. Place in microwave.

3. Set microwave for 3 minutes.

4. Cut bread roll.

5. Using scissors, open meatball bag.

6. Pour meatball bag contents into bread.

7. Serve on small plate.

Other highlight was the new 'gourmet' beer with a burger burger, the training for which was 'served with new longer cocktail stick'.

I don't think Spoons is losing much on staff.

I would say a typical establishment will want to make 60% gross profit. So a dish that costs say £6 would have a menu price of £18. 

Some places will have higher margins and some lower but I'd say 60% would be typical if what places want to achieve, that's coming from working in a hotel, pub, restaurant and a University. Some dishes you wouldn't make the 60% but you can maximise on others.

So if a cheap pub was offering a large mixed grill for a tenner. It would have to cost no more than £3.33. so they either aren't making their 60% or are buying some very cheap meat.

10 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I would say a typical establishment will want to make 60% gross profit. So a dish that costs say £6 would have a menu price of £18. 

Some places will have higher margins and some lower but I'd say 60% would be typical if what places want to achieve, that's coming from working in a hotel, pub, restaurant and a University. Some dishes you wouldn't make the 60% but you can maximise on others.

So if a cheap pub was offering a large mixed grill for a tenner. It would have to cost no more than £3.33. so they either aren't making their 60% or are buying some very cheap meat.

You can tell when it’s cheap meat I think. Could be wrong, but once you start going out into the sticks, the standard of meat improves going from my experience. 60% seems quite high, but I’m not clued up with profits of any kind. 

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I once had the pleasure of being in a Wetherspoons late on a Sunday night when they were doing staff training. They were running a DVD over the screens that usually had SkySportsNews on. Highlights included them introducing a meatball marinara sandwich to take on Subway. The training video was giving instructions on what they needed to do to prepare the order. I am not exaggerating what follows.

1. Take meatball bag from freezer.

2. Place in microwave.

3. Set microwave for 3 minutes.

4. Cut bread roll.

5. Using scissors, open meatball bag.

6. Pour meatball bag contents into bread.

7. Serve on small plate.

Other highlight was the new 'gourmet' beer with a burger burger, the training for which was 'served with new longer cocktail stick'.

I don't think Spoons is losing much on staff.

The amazement comes when you realise how many of them will **** it up... 

In another life I had to do programming on the ovens in tesco for the cookies, basically 2 settings 1 for the normal cookies and 1 for the finest, press a button and the oven used to set the temperature and the time, they have these settings for every product but they simply couldn't do it, got them wrong* so they sent me to some stores to investigate, head "Baker" nearly always said they didn't have time for that shit so just chucked things in the oven all together and hoped for the best, they had cookies and bread in together despite needing different times and temps

* I forgot so much from the cookie factory, used to be able to pick up a cookie in store look at the bottom to see if the sugar had crystallised and know that they'd baked them too high stuff like that

Edited by villa4europe

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

Autonomous sensory meridian response.

Describes a genre of content which aims to relax and soothe the viewer and in many cases can give odd 'tingle' sensation as you relax.

Usually done by attractive young women with whisper-y voices and can be as simple as basic repetitive noises (tapping, 'ssk' hiss sounds etc) or roleplays, usually involving some sort of personal interaction - haircut, suit fitting, eye exam etc.

So ESSENTIALLY a load of utter bollox. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why 'bollox'? I don't think anyone is making any medical or spiritual claims for its virtue, it's just something that bizarrely large amounts of people enjoy watching and/or listening to.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I listen to ASMR most nights . Check out LIoyd, he’s one of my favourites at the moment . Also there’s a bloke called John Butler who’s not an ASMR artist, but he pulls in the ASMR crowd because of his lovely relaxing voice and peaceful vibes. 

Yeah i don't want to be that guy but I ain't having some fella whisper in my ear whilst I'm trying to have a kip.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's bollocks in some respects. It is a really bizarre thing and there's not really any science behind it as far as I'm aware (the ASMR term is, to my knowledge, a name given to it that's kinda pseudo-science-y - it sounds official but doesn't mean anything), and it's as a whole kinda stupid and has some aspects that probably verge onto other things (theres not many successful ASMR content creators that are pug ugly troll people for instance, but a lot of them are attractive young women).

But... It is A Thing. I've experienced it. Some things work better for some people than others but it's true that, on the whole, there's content out there that seems able to put people in a deeply relaxed state purely from whispered talking and noises.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yeah i don't want to be that guy but I ain't having some fella whisper in my ear whilst I'm trying to have a kip.

like Davis the Macaroni and beef guy who does home visits 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

Autonomous sensory meridian response.

Describes a genre of content which aims to relax and soothe the viewer and in many cases can give odd 'tingle' sensation as you relax.

Usually done by attractive young women with whisper-y voices and can be as simple as basic repetitive noises (tapping, 'ssk' hiss sounds etc) or roleplays, usually involving some sort of personal interaction - haircut, suit fitting, eye exam etc.

It genuinely works too and is also  linked to cymatics . harmonic frequencies and resonances etc.  A lot of these ASMR meditation videos come in various frequencies but one of the most popular is 528hz which is the Solfeggio frequency that resonates as "love" in humans.   I think the most interesting thing about 528hz is the cymatics visual.

geometry matters — tomasorban: 528 hz frequency cymatics in water

The Miracle Of The 528 Hz Love Frequency Solfeggio | Alternative | Sacred  geometry, Love frequency, Cymatics

SUMERIAN, BABYLONIAN AND ASSYRIAN ART | Facts and Details

Edited by Brumerican

You know how small children have white noise to help them sleep? It’s kinda like that.

But some people don’t use it to get to sleep. Some find it relaxing, some use to get a tingling sensation down the spine. Sensory stuff mainly.*

It’s not quite down the spine for me, it’s the right hand side of my neck and shivers down to just below my shoulder. This is apparently a common occurrence, although not everyone experiences it. I have a similar experience when I listen to “Close to me” by The Cure through headphones.

The tingling sensation, I can take or leave. I wouldn’t listen for that particularly, especially when trying to sleep. There’s something hypnotic in repetitive sounds which can help me sleep - when needed.

There definitely is something in it. From reading about it, it seems like it’s in it’s infancy in terms of understanding it.

*And yes, as intimated previously, I’m sure the relative attractiveness of some of the ASMR artists means some use it for other purposes.

Best spaghetti bolognese I've ever had was actually at a chain restaurant, San Carlo Cicchetti.  Cicchetti being essentially Italian Tapas, so you'll order multiple smaller plates.  Been to two in central London and one at the top of Selfridge's in the Bullring and every time I've wound up having about three helpings of the bolognese, it's delicious.

Edited by GarethRDR

10 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

A lot of these ASMR meditation videos come in various frequencies but one of the most popular is 528hz which is the Solfeggio frequency that resonates as "love" in humans.

Just whatever you do, for God's sake check the video queue to make sure it doesn't skip to the brown note one half-way through the night.

• Haha 2

Just now, GarethRDR said:

Just whatever you do, for God's sake check the video queue to make sure it doesn't skip to the brown note one half-way through the night.

That's actually a thing . You can make people empty their bowels via frequency.

I'd only start worrying if the Government starts erecting a network of advanced frequency emitting machines whilst you are  locked in doors for 6 months to be honest.   Never gonna happen.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:

I'd only start worrying if the Government starts erecting a network of advanced frequency emitting machines whilst you are  locked in doors for 6 months to be honest.   Never gonna happen.

Funnily enough that's nearly the plot of my favourite Kate Bush song.

• Like 2

Â