Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't get why it's so hard to take a goal kick in football.

I know there are other goalkeepers on here who will share my problem.

If I'm playing out field and I get the ball at my feet, I can ping it 40-50 yards no bother. It will probably go nowhere near where I want it to go, but distance and height is fine.

But taking a goal kick brings with it a whole extra psychological element. I find it so difficult. I'm good enough that it's not an issue, but it's just so much harder than a normal kick. You see professionals casually kicking it 70-80 yards and they don't even look like they're trying.
It's obviously all technique.

Kind of fascinates me. I've never had any sort of proper goalkeeper coaching, and probably never will, but if I did that would be the first thing I'd be asking about.

I know exactly where you’re coming from with this. I find you get added pressure with goal kicks too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If I'm playing out field and I get the ball at my feet, I can ping it 40-50 yards no bother. It will probably go nowhere near where I want it to go, but distance and height is fine.

But taking a goal kick brings with it a whole extra psychological element. I find it so difficult. I'm good enough that it's not an issue, but it's just so much harder than a normal kick. You see professionals casually kicking it 70-80 yards and they don't even look like they're trying.

Kind of fascinates me. I've never had any sort of proper goalkeeper coaching, and probably never will, but if I did that would be the first thing I'd be asking about.

It's because you're shit m8 LMAO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Playing outfield and pinging the ball, you don't run 20 yards and kick it as hard as possible do you? Perhaps if you adopted the same body position and one or two steps you may be able to replicate it? (I may be talking jizz as normal)

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Playing outfield and pinging the ball, you don't run 20 yards and kick it as hard as possible do you? Perhaps if you adopted the same body position and one or two steps you may be able to replicate it? (I may be talking jizz as normal)

No you’re absolutely right. And that definitely helps. In fact that’s how I do it. 

Take your time, shorten your run up and kick it at 80% instead of 100%

its still hard though. It’s a brain fart. 

For me it seems to be a dead ball thing.  If it's rolling toward me I can wallop it.  If I've given it a little nudge so it's rolling away slightly I can send it long with reasonable accuracy.  Goal kicks I often scuff.  Corners are the same.   Free kicks aren't a problem, though.  😕

Some of the best volleys I’ve scored have been on my weaker left foot, I never could work out the reason why. Maybe I couldn’t leather it as hard, so it had the net effect of being a more composed shot.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

I think it's probably the less-is-more effect, as @Stevo985 says.

I remember during my brief flirtation with golf, a friend removing all the woods from my bag before we started our 18 holes. It brought my score down significantly. Then he taught me to slow my swing and only give it 60% and that had another huge effect. It was all about getting the cleanest contact with the ball rather than leathering it. 

He couldn't do anything for my short game though, hence the clubs ended up in the pond. Probably still there now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I have a similar thing outfield.

Passing is probably one of my better attributes and I can ping it, like you said, 40/50 yards through the air, no worries.

Then when I spot the GK off his line and I go to chip him from miles out, dribbles along the floor or slices 9/10.

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I have a similar thing outfield.

Passing is probably one of my better attributes and I can ping it, like you said, 40/50 yards through the air, no worries.

Then when I spot the GK off his line and I go to chip him from miles out, dribbles along the floor or slices 9/10.

Basically anything in football you have to think about, rather than acting on instinct, is ten times harder.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Xela said:

Queuing up at midnight/early hours for the shops to open in the Boxing Day sales. 

Yep.

I don't know why anyone would want to ruin boxing day by going shopping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep.

I don't know why anyone would want to ruin boxing day by going shopping.

Plus ruin their Xmas Day as at midnight they will be heading out to stand in the cold all night. All to save £20 on a Next suit. Nah.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

You should have seen the queues outside Next at 5 this morning, its an embarrassment to call them human

Given that I regard clothes shopping as a torture several rungs below root canal treatment at the best of times, I definitely don't get it. 

I used to have the same thing as a goalkeeper to the point where i'd play it out to a fullback half the time to avoid dropping it short and putting myself straight back under pressure.

I do think it's a dead ball thing, it just seems a lot easier to get purchase on a slowly moving ball, regardless of what direction it's moving in. That said I never had the problem with free kicks, but they were more about precision than distance.

10 hours ago, mottaloo said:

For some reason the Next sale is viewed by too many as a long-standing tradition as if it was on par with a dip in the serpentine or that village that has a xmas morning cricket match.

FFS it's just bleeding shopping !! The place must look like a typhoon hit it after 2 hours all for the sake of saving a couple of quid.

Morons.

Also, I’ve been told much of it is unsold stock dragged out from previous years sales. Ideal if you want to spend money on something you don’t actually like.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mottaloo said:

For some reason the Next sale is viewed by too many as a long-standing tradition as if it was on par with a dip in the serpentine or that village that has a xmas morning cricket match.

FFS it's just bleeding shopping !! The place must look like a typhoon hit it after 2 hours all for the sake of saving a couple of quid.

Morons.

Woman at work always used to go (she's stopped now, saw sense it seems). She'd queue up at midnight, bowl in there, buy shit loads of stuff without trying it on then have to return 95% of the stuff at a later date, which means more time out of your day and parking charges. All for saving £20 on a blouse. 

****. That. Shit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â