Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Irish TV was behind, although by 2002 it was better.  TV3 launched in 1998 & TG4 actually launched in 1996 (although as a primarily Irish-language channel it is quite niche).  We didn't need good terrestrial TV because we got everything that the UK had.  Which is why the cultural absorption rate is largely one-directional.

Cultural imperialism. 

4 hours ago, V01 said:

The wife's thought process. 

We're both on o2 for our phones, she wakes up to find out the network I'd down. I'm at work with no network waiting to finish, get home and as soon as my phone connects to the WiFi I'm inundated with notifications. One of these happens to be a WhatsApp message from the wife telling me the network is down but her phone is working fine. I slowly explained she's on WiFi and waited for it to click. 

She's a daft word removed most of the time. 

Still hasn't clicked for me. I don't get it. I'm not very tech savvy. I don't have WhatsApp or know what o2 is.

45 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Still hasn't clicked for me. I don't get it. I'm not very tech savvy. I don't have WhatsApp or know what o2 is.

O2 is an ISP/telecoms service provider. WhatsApp is a messaging app. Mrs V01 presumably has her phone set to use only wifi (rather than mobile data) for WhatsApp. Therefore it was futile to try and send a WhatsApp message to say the wifi was down, as it couldn't be sent. 

Incidentally, my wife has pulled exactly the same stunt. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, V01 said:

We're both on o2 for our phones, she wakes up to find out the network I'd down. I'm at work with no network waiting to finish, get home and as soon as my phone connects to the WiFi I'm inundated with notifications. One of these happens to be a WhatsApp message from the wife telling me the network is down but her phone is working fine. I slowly explained she's on WiFi and waited for it to click. 

She's a daft word removed most of the time. 

Reminds me of when we had a power cut at my Uni halls.

One of my mates came bounding out of his room, laptop in hand declaring "The power can't be out, my laptop is still working!"

Took him a good 10 seconds to realise.

Edited by Stevo985

5 hours ago, V01 said:

I give my missus a lift to work most mornings. We come out of the house and I always open the car doors with the remote straight away, the indicators flash to show that the car has been opened. Not once has she ever cottoned on to this. She waits for me to say, the car's open, every single time. I've given up saying it now, I just get in when I've locked the house up and she only gets in when I've opened the drivers door.

baffles me that she's never worked this out

• Like 2

I have an ongoing debate with Mrs M about loading and unloading the dishwasher. The cutlery sits on a slotted tray that slides in and out at the top. Every time she puts an item in, she slides the whole thing out and places it as near to the back as possible. For some reason, she insists this is the most ergonomic, time saving way to do it. I point out that it makes more sense to start from the front, as you only need to move the tray out by a shorter distance. She won't have it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Wife gets in car for long journey with coat on. Fifteen minutes in to journey she will announce 'phew, it's hot in here'. I will inform her she's got her coat on. She will inform me it's cold outside.

Thirty five years.

This isn't really related other than 'coat' and 'car' but it still annoys me and I want to get angry about it.

I lost my coat about a year ago and couldn't work out where I could have left it. A few weeks later I was putting some shopping in my wife's boot and there it was. I realised I must have taken it off in her car and she must have shoved it in her boot when giving someone a lift or something.

I'd forgotten about it when we got home, but I needed it a few days later. I opened her boot but it was empty, not a single sausage in there.

"Hi babez...erm, where's my coat?"

"What coat?"

"My coat, I saw it the other day in your boot"

*shrugs* "Haven't seen it"

"But...it was in your boot. Have you thrown it away accidentally or something?"

"Why would I throw it away?"

etc, etc.

Still annoys me. 70 quid coat. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have an ongoing debate with Mrs M about loading and unloading the dishwasher. The cutlery sits on a slotted tray that slides in and out at the top. Every time she puts an item in, she slides the whole thing out and places it as near to the back as possible. For some reason, she insists this is the most ergonomic, time saving way to do it. I point out that it makes more sense to start from the front, as you only need to move the tray out by a shorter distance. She won't have it. 

Hmmm

35 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

This isn't really related other than 'coat' and 'car' but it still annoys me and I want to get angry about it.

I lost my coat about a year ago and couldn't work out where I could have left it. A few weeks later I was putting some shopping in my wife's boot and there it was. I realised I must have taken it off in her car and she must have shoved it in her boot when giving someone a lift or something.

I'd forgotten about it when we got home, but I needed it a few days later. I opened her boot but it was empty, not a single sausage in there.

"Hi babez...erm, where's my coat?"

"What coat?"

"My coat, I saw it the other day in your boot"

*shrugs* "Haven't seen it"

"But...it was in your boot. Have you thrown it away accidentally or something?"

"Why would I throw it away?"

etc, etc.

Still annoys me. 70 quid coat. 

Yeah that's very frustrating when you KNOW you're right.

My mom was guilty of it last week. On holiday we were pooling our money every day so we could just pay for food out of a kitty rather than split everything.

So I took some money off everybody. I didn't want to walk around with all of everybody's holiday money in my pocket, so I just took a bit off everyone every day.

After the first day she asked to see how much money she had left and was shocked when I said 10 dollars. Then I explained that I'd only taken a bit from her and given her the rest back.

She wouldn't have it. She reluctantly went to look for the rest of her money in her purse and suitcase and triumphantly declared that she didn't have it and she was right.

She actually got angry with me when I insisted I didn't have it, and 100% gave it back to her. She genuinely thought I'd lost it or spent it.

She sheepishly apologised later when she found all of her money tucked away in her passport holder where she'd put it for safe keeping :D 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah that's very frustrating when you KNOW you're right.

My mom was guilty of it last week. On holiday we were pooling our money every day so we could just pay for food out of a kitty rather than split everything.

So I took some money off everybody. I didn't want to walk around with all of everybody's holiday money in my pocket, so I just took a bit off everyone every day.

After the first day she asked to see how much money she had left and was shocked when I said 10 dollars. Then I explained that I'd only taken a bit from her and given her the rest back.

She wouldn't have it. She reluctantly went to look for the rest of her money in her purse and suitcase and triumphantly declared that she didn't have it and she was right.

She actually got angry with me when I insisted I didn't have it, and 100% gave it back to her. She genuinely thought I'd lost it or spent it.

She sheepishly apologised later when she found all of her money tucked away in her passport holder where she'd put it for safe keeping :D 

I **** hate them scenarios...

Even worse when the accusing individual who wrongly accuses - yet still won't apologise and trys to hold some moral highground stance on the matter.

*****s.

I don't get why it's so hard to take a goal kick in football.

I know there are other goalkeepers on here who will share my problem.

If I'm playing out field and I get the ball at my feet, I can ping it 40-50 yards no bother. It will probably go nowhere near where I want it to go, but distance and height is fine.

But taking a goal kick brings with it a whole extra psychological element. I find it so difficult. I'm good enough that it's not an issue, but it's just so much harder than a normal kick. You see professionals casually kicking it 70-80 yards and they don't even look like they're trying.
It's obviously all technique.

Kind of fascinates me. I've never had any sort of proper goalkeeper coaching, and probably never will, but if I did that would be the first thing I'd be asking about.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Â