Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

That's OK, I don't really care about her lifestyle or personality. I just don't get her music - which a lot of people my age do. In fact I have a mate who shares my musical tastes almost completely, except that he's a HUGE Kate Bush fan. She just sounds like fingernails down a blackboard to me. 

Neither do I if I'm honest, she's not nails down a blackboard for me but I've always assumed people liked her because of the image more than the music because it's not very good

Just now, Xann said:

Think it's down to hormones, or memories of having hormones?

Huh? If that were were the case you'd expect me to like her. In fact I didn't even fancy her back in the day. Mad shrieking weirdo that she was. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Huh? If that were were the case you'd expect me to like her. In fact I didn't even fancy her back in the day. Mad shrieking weirdo that she was. 

That's why you don't get it :)

Just now, bickster said:

Neither do I if I'm honest, she's not nails down a blackboard for me but I've always assumed people liked her because of the image more than the music because it's not very good

Well she's very popular with prog fans, who tend to tell you to forget Wuthering Heights and listen to her later stuff, which is supposedly sophisticated musical genius. 

12 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

People who go abroad over Xmas. I know people who do it all the time. Couldn’t think of anything worse to do, and you couldn’t pay me to do it. 

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it Chris. Christmas is shite, going abroad is brilliant. What’s not to like about avoiding 1 and having 2 large?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjmooney said:

That's OK, I don't really care about her lifestyle or personality. I just don't get her music - which a lot of people my age do. In fact I have a mate who shares my musical tastes almost completely, except that he's a HUGE Kate Bush fan. She just sounds like fingernails down a blackboard to me. 

I'm not a massive fan, but Cloudbusting is brilliant:

On 29/11/2018 at 08:41, StefanAVFC said:

Was TV in 2002 really that shit quality!?

I think Ireland was a bit behind in terms of TV. 2002 they'd probably only just started getting their 3rd terrestrial channel.

I remember as a kid visiting my grandparents if you got up early there was no TV to watch. They had two channels and they didn't start until midday.

At least that's how I remember it... the Irish VTers may put me right!

On 01/12/2018 at 11:26, HanoiVillan said:

Going back to Germany this Christmas, and I can't wait. Won't do anything Christmassy either. 

im going too, family im staying with really dont bother so it will be weird, the big meal and family stuff starting late afternoon on the 24th and then getting your presents after will be torture for me so i cant imagine what that would have been like as a kid, cant see how you enjoy the day, im out in the middle of nowhere too, think i might be going to a german church service

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

got my brothers kids staying over and im having to do elf on a shelf tonight, what an absolute load of bollocks

My cousin, who I always joke is the most boring person in the world, is posting loads of facebook photos of his elf on a shelf for his kids.

He's acting like he's the first person to ever discover it, bless.

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

What the bebuggering hell is elf on a shelf? 

Basically you have a little elf doll that you convince your little kids has appeared from nowhere (on the shelf I guess is the first place they find him).

Every night when they go to bed you put him in a new "hilarious" position for the kids to wake up to and find in the morning.

Harmless fun, but it's been done to death.

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Ireland was a bit behind in terms of TV. 2002 they'd probably only just started getting their 3rd terrestrial channel.

I remember as a kid visiting my grandparents if you got up early there was no TV to watch. They had two channels and they didn't start until midday.

At least that's how I remember it... the Irish VTers may put me right!

Irish TV was behind, although by 2002 it was better.  TV3 launched in 1998 & TG4 actually launched in 1996 (although as a primarily Irish-language channel it is quite niche).  We didn't need good terrestrial TV because we got everything that the UK had.  Which is why the cultural absorption rate is largely one-directional.

Â