Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

2 hours ago, BOF said:

You'd love the "Angelus" over here.  Our evening news is always at 6:01pm, because the Angelus is one minute of religious bollocks at 6pm with various people taking a moment from what they're doing to stare up at the sky (where god lives) to the 'tune' of church bells and other religious imagery.  It's, eh, 'from a different time'.

This is burned into my memory.

My Irish grandparents were staunchly religious so it was always observed in their house. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

The BBC ident things between shows. They’ll have a kick boxing group or a bunch of dog walkers out and about, all happy and then they suddenly stop and stare unnervingly at the camera before resuming whatever activity they were up to.

I get what it’s about, “This is Britain today” kinda thing. But the standing still staring thing I find weird. It’s like something out of “The Happening”.

Just once or twice a day they should do a "Ark Open" just to freshen it up a bit.  

raiders-800-600x405_orig.jpg

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is burned into my memory.

My Irish grandparents were staunchly religious so it was always observed in their house. 

We were never religious and it was never observed, but i distinctly remember being around in a friend's house one evening and it came on. They all froze and looked up. I couldn't believe what i was seeing and burst my shite laughing. They were not amused. I had never realised people did it in real life :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Every time that bell rings, another altar boy is buggered. 

That's not the priest's fault. In fairness that's sexy altar boys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've spent a fair bit of time with my Dad recently, and one thing I don't get is how often his trousers start to fall down.  He wears a belt so I just don't understand why it happens, and it'd be a bit of an awkward thing to ask him about.

Not just mine then.  I thought trousers went up, the older you got.  They call my aul' lad "Calvin" (Klein) in his local club because you can always see the top of his boxers (at the very least).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Not just mine then.  I thought trousers went up, the older you got.  They call my aul' lad "Calvin" (Klein) in his local club because you can always see the top of his boxers (at the very least).

That's because old blokes* tuck their shirts into their underpants, for reasons best known to themselves. 

* (Not me) 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

How a tribe living on a remote island appear to have been  given carte blanch to commit murder ... even if he was a God botherer

A bit like stepping on someone's private property in Texas innit?

I know it's not but still

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

How a tribe living on a remote island appear to have been  given carte blanch to commit murder ... even if he was a God botherer

We've agreed to live in our definition of 'society'.  They haven't. It's that simple really.  We can go on about morality all we want, as long as we're self-aware enough to acknowledge that we're judging them by our standards, and they don't recognise our standards.  The fact it was a religious dickhead is neither here nor there, although it is completely typical and all the more satisfying for it.

4 hours ago, BOF said:

We've agreed to live in our definition of 'society'.  They haven't. It's that simple really.  We can go on about morality all we want, as long as we're self-aware enough to acknowledge that we're judging them by our standards, and they don't recognise our standards.  The fact it was a religious dickhead is neither here nor there, although it is completely typical and all the more satisfying for it.

I think we should launch a Christian Missionary Challenge in 2019

On 23/11/2018 at 11:08, sharkyvilla said:

I've spent a fair bit of time with my Dad recently, and one thing I don't get is how often his trousers start to fall down.  He wears a belt so I just don't understand why it happens, and it'd be a bit of an awkward thing to ask him about.

A belt works well when it is around a waist that is smaller than the hips/arse beneath it. Blokes in their seniors years often develop bigger waists without a proportional increase in their hip size so a belt is almost useless. I guess that’s why my one of my Grandad’s wore braces in his final couple of decades.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brommy said:

A belt works well when it is around a waist that is smaller than the hips/arse beneath it. Blokes in their seniors years often develop bigger waists without a proportional increase in their hip size so a belt is almost useless. I guess that’s why my one of my Grandad’s wore braces in his final couple of decades.

I think that actually explains it.  When I posted originally I wasn't expecting a genuine scientific answer that makes sense.

• Like 1

I have just stumbled across the program Just Tattoo Of Us, which has the basic premise of two friends designing each other tattoos (aimed to be horrific) and then have them done without knowing what they’re getting permanently put on their skin!

why would anyone do this!?!?

no surprises but they all end up pissed off and hating each other - utter cockwombles 

Â