Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

dancers_03.jpg

edit - not sure if the link to Boatrip and the tanning team was within the guidelines so deleted it .. ignore this post  ....

Edited by tonyh29

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Apropos of the Lee Perry love-in on the albums thread - reggae. 

It's not like rap/hip hop, which I flat out hate. I don't hate reggae at all. I just don't get it. 

Which style don't you get? There are quite a few styles I'm not a huge fan of, Dancehall for starters. I like a lot of the early stuff, the proto-reggae, ska and rocksteady. Dub would be my absolute favourite and then some Roots and Rockers but not all of it. Then there's plastic shite like UB40 that sends me into a rage, even a lot of Lovers Rock bores me to death

I liked reggae before I ever smoked any weed but I think my smoking years do contribute as a heavy influence as to why reggae features in my musical taste even today, two decades after I smoked in any kind of serious way

I don't get how I've just gone through a bag of CDs and found Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell

I have never bought this

I f***ing detest it

What is it doing here, I really don't get it.

I'm ashamed that its even in my house (it'll be in the bin by morning)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Which style don't you get? There are quite a few styles I'm not a huge fan of, Dancehall for starters. I like a lot of the early stuff, the proto-reggae, ska and rocksteady. Dub would be my absolute favourite and then some Roots and Rockers but not all of it. Then there's plastic shite like UB40 that sends me into a rage, even a lot of Lovers Rock bores me to death

I liked reggae before I ever smoked any weed but I think my smoking years do contribute as a heavy influence as to why reggae features in my musical taste even today, two decades after I smoked in any kind of serious way

I knew someone would ask that. 

And you all know what I'm going to say. 

It all sounds the same. 

OK, I know it doesn't, but it does all have those rhythms. And mostly has the incomprehensible lyrics. I can kind of see why people like it, it just doesn't do a damn thing for me. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I knew someone would ask that. 

And you all know what I'm going to say. 

It all sounds the same. 

OK, I know it doesn't, but it does all have those rhythms. And mostly has the incomprehensible lyrics. I can kind of see why people like it, it just doesn't do a damn thing for me. 

Not a big fan of straight commercial reggae, that leaves me fairly unmoved. I don't have a Bob Marley record, or UB40, or Police. But early ska that's only just moving out of calypso, full ska and then the jump to dub i absolutely adore all of that. There's a few albums of stuff from Scratch that are dub plates from the mid 70's and they are just sublime.

I like the lo fi basic technology, the back story of needing to make new tracks by Saturday for the sound systems. Listen to some of those ska records. It's one mic, one take, with people hitting the wrong time and people singing the wrong lyric but just ploughing on. That new Scratch album is a return to form for me, 'cos it's a more stripped back sound with more space. Then I read the liner notes and its been put together on vintage tape technology. At least I'm consistent.

I got in to it that standard white boy way. The same people that were playing Jam and Clash were playing reggae. So you went and found their clubs. As a kid I went to The North Star Club down the end of Bute Street in Cardiff Docks. I went on my own which, looking back, was an insane thing to do. The only white face, skinny, 16 years old and hiding in a corner.

Never really did the smoking thing much.

I haven't got a clue what people see in american rock, all that Kiss and Springsteen stuff. Just does nothing, not a twitch.

Whatever bloats your goat.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2018 at 17:13, bickster said:

I believe the correct term is travelling community.

I can tell when they’ve landed near us. I'll go to my normal 24 hour garage and have to go to the night pay window when they always let me in.

I ask one question. “On your own tonight?”

If the answer is no, they're in town.

pisses me off too because a large latte won’t fit in the hatch

Ask him to hold it for you and pass the end of a straw through the opening....bet he lets you in!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

got in to it that standard white boy way. The same people that were playing Jam and Clash were playing reggae.

I haven't got a clue what people see in american rock, all that Kiss and Springsteen stuff. 

I see what you did there. But I would imagine there are people who would lump those two together. It's more a cultural thing. If you like a broad genre you'll appreciate the wide variances within it more than somebody who doesn't like it. The affinity between punk and reggae cuts little ice with me, as I was no great punk lover - it was fun for a year or so, in a disposable sort of way, but has had zero staying power with me. 

And at the risk of labelling myself as racist, I've had very little contact with that British West Indian culture, it makes me feel like a total outsider. 

As Count Arthur Strong once put it: "It's outside my area of expertise - I'M AFRAID!!!"   :)

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Nothing in the slightest bit racist for not being in to that music or sub culture. I’d be a total fish out of water in any ‘black culture’ other than that little niche dub sub set. If it doesn’t do it for you, fair enough. I’m not racist either, but diddly deedee  Celtic tourism folk music is **** awful. 

A few years ago I truly disliked Count Arthur Strong. Couldn’t work out how he got recommissioned. I’ve either got old, or I’ve got the joke because I quite like it now.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not racist either, but diddly deedee  Celtic tourism folk music is **** awful. 

Exactly what I was getting at. Some things will just never 'click' for some people - rap, reggae, folk, country, prog rock, metal, jazz... to their aficionados they are the most exciting and inspiring thing ever. To others they are forever a closed book. 

But the people I really don't understand are those who don't have any enthusiasm for music at all - the 'whatever's in the charts' lot. Couldn't imagine being like that at all. 

• Like 2

"Roasts" of people who play Fortnite (a PC game), and being watched by hundred of people live. 

These people are streamers, who play 1 game constantly (they are good admittedly), and a raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations, sponsors etc.  They are the new celebrity.  Hundreds of people pay to watch them "roast" each other, and they are all in their 20s, not much to say (because all they do is game for a living) and it's mental. 

• 4 weeks later...

The BBC ident things between shows. They’ll have a kick boxing group or a bunch of dog walkers out and about, all happy and then they suddenly stop and stare unnervingly at the camera before resuming whatever activity they were up to.

I get what it’s about, “This is Britain today” kinda thing. But the standing still staring thing I find weird. It’s like something out of “The Happening”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

You'd love the "Angelus" over here.  Our evening news is always at 6:01pm, because the Angelus is one minute of religious bollocks at 6pm with various people taking a moment from what they're doing to stare up at the sky (where god lives) to the 'tune' of church bells and other religious imagery.  It's, eh, 'from a different time'.

Haha marvellous. 

I think my favourite is the woman in the purple top at 00:36 who stops what’s she’s doing and puts both hands on her face and tilts her head in a slightly uncomfortable manner.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Haha marvellous. 

I think my favourite is the woman in the purple top at 00:36 who stops what’s she’s doing and puts both hands on her face and tilts her head in a slightly uncomfortable manner.

I think there's a parody Angelus where 2 blokes take a moment from beating someone up to stare up at the sky etc etc :lol: 

• Haha 1

Â