Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

42 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I've got a part share of one of the posh seats at Glamorgan Sophia Gardens.

One of those ones where I can sit inside the glass watching the football on a big screen, having a decent meal, or wander outside with a drink and sit on a big comfy padded seat, under some cover and watch some cricket.

Oh yeah. 

3.gif

Except I don't go that often though, partly because I'm sharing and partly 'cos of work so I'm rarely in the right town on the right day with the right weather.

My solution to that problem is to go somewhere sunny, just pay by the day for tickets and then either watch the cricket, or the big telly, 

AA8D5DD1-1485-4CD6-B2A1-CD7CF3EC9113.jpeg

31307A12-CF66-4CA9-B8CB-6101813C2DB1.jpegOr watch a local game with no telly 

BA9A23A0-1130-4793-B179-7CDBECE330B0.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bickster said:

Summers Day, whiling the day away watching cricket, drinking a few pints... sounds great to me, just wish I had the opportunity to do it. I prefer to do it at a small ground not a county type ground, like one of our local clubs.

Bar, not over-priced, in fact often very cheap, get served whenever bit of a natter and watch the game every now and again. Would I go on a day of shit weather, not a chance. Lovely summers day at the weekend, yep if I've nothing better to do why not

I have never done that but I can see how it would be extremely enjoyable. Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the drinking all day in the sun sentiment at Edgbaston it's going to be vastly overpriced Marstons Pedigree from a fizzy keg in a huge deposit plastic cup. 

A local small club has a far better chance of some decent Ale at a reasonable price. Kings Heath CC anyone? 

Only problem is what cricket you do see will probably be more Gentle Trott than Jonathan Trott. 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have never done that but I can see how it would be extremely enjoyable. Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the drinking all day in the sun sentiment at Edgbaston it's going to be vastly overpriced Marstons Pedigree from a fizzy keg in a huge deposit plastic cup. 

A local small club has a far better chance of some decent Ale at a reasonable price. Kings Heath CC anyone? 

Only problem is what cricket you do see will probably be more Gentle Trott than Jonathan Trott. 

My local ground Horsham hosts a lot of Sussex 2nd XI games which are free entry and the bar is open.  Some of it is a decent standard, Marcus Trescothick was playing for Somerset 2nds while the T20 was going on and smacking it about last summer.  It's a shame how his England career ended but he's still a class act.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

My local ground Horsham hosts a lot of Sussex 2nd XI games which are free entry and the bar is open.  Some of it is a decent standard, Marcus Trescothick was playing for Somerset 2nds while the T20 was going on and smacking it about last summer.  It's a shame how his England career ended but he's still a class act.

King and Barnes, wipes tear from his eye. 

• Like 1

My local club's overseas player is Jayden Schadendorf this year, a Zimbabwean U19 All rounder. The fact they even have an overseas player is a miracle. Might be worth popping up the road for a watch now and again though

• Like 1

Technically, I think I might still be banned from my local cricket ground for riding my bike across their pitch.

It's been 40 years, but you just know there's some old guy there that will remember and report me.

• Haha 3

On 20/03/2018 at 23:23, Wainy316 said:

It's not just these days.  Watch the Terminator 2 trailer.  It gives away that Arnie is the goodie!  The first half hour of that film is clearly shot to make you think he's the bad guy again and Robert Patrick is the protector.

Yeah I think it was way worse in that sort of era. Trailers back then were basically the whole film.

I think most trailers these days are relatively spoiler free.

On 21/03/2018 at 11:05, tonyh29 said:

you don't go to cricket to watch it .. you go to sit outside drinking beer in the sunshine

This genuinely seems to be the go to defence of cricket.

It seems crazy to me that the biggest defence of a sport is "Oh you don't actually watch the cricket, you just go to have a drink"

They have these things called pubs these days where you can go and drink with your mates and other people. And you don't have to endure hours of the world's most boring sport while you do it :D 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Tbf i wasn’t being entirely serious , I do like watching the cricket it’s just the sorta justification has become a running joke within our circle of friends 

we invent excuses to go for a all day session in order to get a pass from our other halves , nobody really needs permission but we go through the motions and invent excuses ... one weekend in Brighton we planned  was on the basis we were going to Hove to watch Sussex v Surrey , we then went to Brighton and not one cricket ball was seen .... heck we even invented a friend “Trevor” the other year and all went to Poland for his 50th .... this years trip is Trevor’s Long lost twin brothers 50th , it was a complicated birth ... 

Pussywipped but won't admit it

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Pussywipped but won't admit it

it's a double bluff , I like MrsH to think she's in charge but really ..oh hang on I've got to go hoover the house and hang the washing , I'll finish this post once I'm allowed

• Haha 2

Cricket's really good fun, you just have to want to be interested in it.  It's a slow game (not 20/20 obviously), but the enjoyment is the way a game can swing so quickly on a wicket, or a 4 or a 6.  

There's always the potential that however comfortable your team looks, a couple of quick wickets can completely change the outcome.  My enjoyment of it is the way it keeps you guessing.  I can't remember how many times I've said "easy win from here", only to be completely wrong because of a couple of key moments.  

And I find, the more you follow it, the more intricate details can make big differences.  Swing bowling was my "oooh, so that's why a couple of degrees on the angle of a ball thrown can make  big difference". 

I used to hate cricket, but I got the bug once I saw a t20 (boo) game.  

It's not for everyone though (the thicko's, obviously :P

But I find darts shit.  And most people love that because you... can drink with your mates.. and watch a bloke 50 yards away throw darts... like you can.. at the... pub.. 

Don't like golf either. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Cricket's really good fun, you just have to want to be interested in it.  It's a slow game (not 20/20 obviously), but the enjoyment is the way a game can swing so quickly on a wicket, or a 4 or a 6.  

There's always the potential that however comfortable your team looks, a couple of quick wickets can completely change the outcome.  My enjoyment of it is the way it keeps you guessing.  I can't remember how many times I've said "easy win from here", only to be completely wrong because of a couple of key moments.  

And I find, the more you follow it, the more intricate details can make big differences.  Swing bowling was my "oooh, so that's why a couple of degrees on the angle of a ball thrown can make  big difference". 

I used to hate cricket, but I got the bug once I saw a t20 (boo) game.  

It's not for everyone though (the thicko's, obviously :P

But I find darts shit.  And most people love that because you... can drink with your mates.. and watch a bloke 50 yards away throw darts... like you can.. at the... pub.. 

Don't like golf either. 

Darts is shit too.

But at least something happens on a fairly regular basis.

Cricket is just so dull. I cannot get my head round how people can tolerate watching it for hours.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Darts is shit too.

But at least something happens on a fairly regular basis.

Cricket is just so dull. I cannot get my head round how people can tolerate watching it for hours.

I get that.  The real spoddy people you get at cricket, sit there with their score sheets marking them in.  

But if you go, you obviously don't pay attention to every ball.  But there is always a good 20 seconds between each ball, so you switch off then.  1 ball takes about 3 seconds from release, to knowing if it's going for a score - so there isn't much to pay attention too. 

But I go with friends so we're just chatting and whatever between balls.  But at least with cricket you always have something to talk about, your potential tactics or whatever else.  It's mostly rubbish, but it is enjoyable. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Jeeeez, golf. That is the absolute worst. My personal hell would be a never ending day with golf people.

There are vast differences between people who play golf, people who use golf as some sort of networking medium and then people who belong to an actual golf club (which are largely oppressive, uncomfortable places for anyone who doesn't belong - which is most normal people).

I think you do the first group of people a great disservice when lumping them together with the other two groups.

Â