Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

Some people ( like me ) have no sense of direction at all.even in the suburb where I live,I know the way to the shopping mall and to table tennis ( it helps that table tennis is only a 30 second walk from the shopping mall )apart from that I can get lost quite easily.  

Supposedly the Aboriginal people of Australia historically had a very good sense of direction because they were taught to refer to directions purely by compass points, meaning they have a constant reference point rather than a contextual one.

10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Supposedly the Aboriginal people of Australia historically had a very good sense of direction because they were taught to refer to directions purely by compass points, meaning they have a constant reference point rather than a contextual one.

With all the amazing stuff we know about bees, you'd think they'd have a similar sense of direction, but no. If you move their hive only a hundred yards or so while they're out collecting nectar, they get totally lost. Apparently they just have a look round at the local landmarks before they set off, and look for that when they get back. 

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

With all the amazing stuff we know about bees, you'd think they'd have a similar sense of direction, but no. If you move their hive only a hundred yards or so while they're out collecting nectar, they get totally lost. Apparently they just have a look round at the local landmarks before they set off, and look for that when they get back. 

I'd never thought about it, but I'd assumed they'd be relying on scent or something....I'm actually more impressed that they survey and remember the surroundings of where the hive was

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

And they can only see open doors and windows from the outside.

Once they’re inside, they’re about as much use as a Russian tank.

About as much use as a lettuce sandwich.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, il_serpente said:

The guardian podcast mentioned this that table tennis players live in little bubbles away from reality. This starts from a young age and all they have focused on is training and playing table tennis. And maybe a few lads nights out. 

And they all walk like they're in Madness to where ever they may be going.. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd never thought about it, but I'd assumed they'd be relying on scent or something....I'm actually more impressed that they survey and remember the surroundings of where the hive was

Me too. I found this out in a documentary about Californian almond growers - the bees are essential to keep the crops pollinated, and they take the hives around on trucks. So they start in a new location every few days, and they discovered that the bees find it easier to orientate themselves if there are plenty of distinctive landmarks around - trees, hills, buildings, etc. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Me too. I found this out in a documentary about Californian almond growers - the bees are essential to keep the crops pollinated, and they take the hives around on trucks. So they start in a new location every few days, and they discovered that the bees find it easier to orientate themselves if there are plenty of distinctive landmarks around - trees, hills, buildings, etc. 

I saw that doco too. Mind you i'll watch anything about bees and stuff, they're brilliant.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And there is some evidence that migrating birds use their sense of smell to navigate. 

Another interesting point about birds is that apparently they see everything in black and white,except for the types of food that they eat.Thats in colour,explaines why they swoop down from height to feed on something.IMHO,thats an interesting fact that is worth passing on.

When I drive and there are birds in the road, I assume they will move out of the way when they see me approaching.

I've noticed that Pigeons are the "worst" at moving, often leaving it until my car is within 10 or so meters of them.

Magpies seem to be the best, along with Crows - who seem to "see me" approaching from a good 50m or so away. 

I wonder if they see the world differently, and why one set of birds is so obviously better at spotting me. 

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

And they all walk like they're in Madness to where ever they may be going.. 

And they never stop when they get there.  They ALWAYS go one step beyond.

33 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

When I drive and there are birds in the road, I assume they will move out of the way when they see me approaching.

I've noticed that Pigeons are the "worst" at moving, often leaving it until my car is within 10 or so meters of them.

Magpies seem to be the best, along with Crows - who seem to "see me" approaching from a good 50m or so away. 

I wonder if they see the world differently, and why one set of birds is so obviously better at spotting me. 

Pigeons are just dickheads.  They're playing chicken with you, forcing you to slow down and inconvenience yourself before they fly off.

**** pricks.

Time of the morning matters too.  They're genuinely dopier/groggier in the very early hours, so don't assume they'll always move. I give them a blip of the horn if I'm concerned.

• Like 1

Getting the bin in yesterday I discovered a pigeon carcass on the drive, pretty much completely devoured leaving just it's bones wings and feet. I don't really know what to do with it, so it's still there, like some macabre warning to the postman.

Â