• Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

We are a disgusting team

Disgusting is certainly one way to describe that performance.  Awful display, two shambolic teams going at each other as if they were playing any game but football.

Lambert bringing on 2 defenders at the end to hold on for a 0-0 with Wet Spam...jesus I'm so glad I made the trip down, worth every penny (actually some truth in that but only because of the company).

I'm not a Lambert fan, but that's a bit too low. Senderos came in because Baker was injured, as you well know.

And Clark?  Other than that it would appear there was no plan for any changes, and that's better some how?  Absolutely terrible, their performance was equally as tripe and in every which way were their for the taking and the best we could do was hold on for 0-0.

I'm not buying this in-form excuse either, a team is as good as they are on the day and they were easily beatable by any team with any aspirations to stay in the premier league yesterday.

Saw Lambert scribbling some notes during the match. I assume it was his shopping list. Let me fill in the bits you missed, Paul:

West Ham played exactly the way we want for a "counter-attacking" side:

- They committed men forward

- They turned over ball cheaply

- They have Collins in their defensive line.

Even so, our best opportunities came from 2 things:

- Mistakes from the opposition

- Build up play where we had possession and controlled it for more than 6 passes.

So.... why are we trying to play on the counter again?

Here's another tidbit for you, Paul: It is possible to make a substitution at any time.

During the second half West Ham had very few opportunities - if any - until the 80th minute when they had 2 decent attempts (both poor headers) and a corner in the space of 60 seconds. Can you see it coming? Can you smell it, Paul? Perhaps a substitution for some tired legs? N'Zogbia is walking and turning any ball straight over. Perhaps Joe Cole in his place? Perhaps Bent? Perhaps Senderos to help you hold that 0-0 lead?

Anything?

Hello?

• Like 1

In the context of the game at the time putting Clark in made sense as they were bombarding us. Ideally Baker would have been still out there and it would have been Senderos replacing Zog.

That said ten minutes earlier bringing on Richardson or Cole and Bent might have forced West Ham to defend a bit deeper and alleviated some of the pressure on our defence.

• Like 2

In the context of the game at the time putting Clark in made sense as they were bombarding us. Ideally Baker would have been still out there and it would have been Senderos replacing Zog.

That said ten minutes earlier bringing on Richardson or Cole and Bent might have forced West Ham to defend a bit deeper and alleviated some of the pressure on our defence.

Quite.

We are a disgusting team

Disgusting is certainly one way to describe that performance.  Awful display, two shambolic teams going at each other as if they were playing any game but football.

Lambert bringing on 2 defenders at the end to hold on for a 0-0 with Wet Spam...jesus I'm so glad I made the trip down, worth every penny (actually some truth in that but only because of the company).

I'm not a Lambert fan, but that's a bit too low. Senderos came in because Baker was injured, as you well know.

And Clark?  Other than that it would appear there was no plan for any changes, and that's better some how?  Absolutely terrible, their performance was equally as tripe and in every which way were their for the taking and the best we could do was hold on for 0-0.

I'm not buying this in-form excuse either, a team is as good as they are on the day and they were easily beatable by any team with any aspirations to stay in the premier league yesterday.

Yes Neil, subbing Clark in is debateable, but we didn't add two defenders, which was my point. I agree with the rest you say, we should have higher expectations with the players we have.

I think given our form and our dreadful performances recently we can be happy with a point vs West Ham. Under normal circumstances we shouldn't be but it did stop the rot.

Who is "over the moon" or "delighted"?

Regardless; we stopped the rot and got a hard earned draw away to one of the form teams in the division. Not a bad day at the office.

So when we were losing to Everton etc it was understandable as they were the top 6. Even though when we played some of them they weren't. With QPR it was 'they had to come good eventually '

Now we play someone like west ham and as they are a ' form team ' we like a point.

Exactly which type of team in what state will we actually be justified in expecting and getting a result ?

I don't have an issue with your post in itself but it just seems that as a whole there seems to be no limit to the justifications given to Lambert.

You seem to be confusing my opinion with that of somebody else. I thought the performance against Everton was abject in almost every way possible.

I think given our form and our dreadful performances recently we can be happy with a point vs West Ham. Under normal circumstances we shouldn't be but it did stop the rot.

I just can't be happy with another dreadful performance to compound a series of bad performances...I just want to see signs of improvement.  Hanging on for a point against that west ham performance shows no signs, and I just dread any up and coming game...because any opposition who play well can walk us any day.

Happy with the result - definitely. Anything but another loss. Happy with the performance? Not so much - though I will admit it was an improvement over some of the football we have shown recently.