Four Players who are now bankrupt

Sidmon

To be fair you don't have to be clueless for it to happen.

They're tempted into big investments (Like Big Brad) and they don't work out.

I don't think james pissed it up the wall like Hendrie did.

Brad didn't go bankrupt though did he, the company he set up did.

Pretty sure he filed for bankruptcy.

I think it was supposedly a big factor towards him leaving us. Spurs were offering him a longer deal and he needed the guarantee of money.

THat bit might have been a rumour though.

It must be galling to earn a £1m a year in your pomp and then be left with nothing.. I can't quite feel sorry for them though. 

They will earn in a couple of years what most working people won't earn in 30-40 years in an average job. The common excuse is that its a short career... yes, but an extremely well paid one.

• Like 1

It says David James spent £20m of earnings in his career. Even allowing for a few bad invesmentments, how on earth did he get to a point and not think "oh shit, I need to address this before I'm broke?"

I dunno, those shit hair cuts must have cost him a few quid.

problem is you cant just leave money sat in a bank doing nothing...

Id guess a lot of footballers gamble for a start, most will also have been lured in to property development which can lose a lot of money, especially recently, i think the one bloke in westlife lost £50m in property development in ireland

im also sure James got divorced and has a couple of kids so itd be interesting how much of that £20m shes sat on

ive met a few footballers and they are not the smartest people on the planet. they spend like no tomorrow and dont think about the future once they retire

no sympathy whatsoever, they make enough. put it in the bank and gain a lot of interest on it, or buy properties and rent them out.

Freidel is still picking up contracts from Spurs, doing pundit jobs, and even got his coaching license. He recently said that he is only still playing for his love of the game, but it could be that he needs the extra money. 

problem is you cant just leave money sat in a bank doing nothing...

Er ... You can you know, it even adds interest!

The reasons footballs go bust is because they don't do this instead they get involved with businesses seemingly unaware they've no idea what they are doing or get gready trying to get into propert deals or avoid tax in various ways.

If they just put money in savings they would be sorted for life.

Â