Paul Lambert

limpid

I think most would agree with you that the players aren't good enough. But the point is Lambert's the one putting them out there and for the most part he's the one signing them. If you sign shit players and select shit players, the blame has to come to your doorstep.

I bet its so frustrating for lambert like it is for us. You see a player who looks decent enough but it just don't work out or the player just can't cut it. If signing players was that easy we would all be having ago at being the manager. At our best were a top ten team easily so why is it were struggling too survive. I'm not defending lambert entirely, he's just one of many problems.

I do have some sympathy for Lambert. It doesn't matter how good a player is, sometimes it just doesn't work out. Fans tend to just assume that things should always go right and that's not how it works. Injuries have certainly not helped.

With that said, I think he makes too many odd decisions. We scored 4 v West Brom at home, Bacuna played well in the #10 role and scored, got into good positions. Then he stops playing him there?

• Like 1

There have been many decisions like the Bacuna one.

Clark was playing well, suddenly dropped for Baker. Lowton dropped for form, Weimann plays, even though his form is awful.

So much makes little sense.

• Like 1

Where I'm at fwiw:

I don't really care whether Lambert stays or goes. I can see that the players don't APPEAR all that motivated, and maybe some of that is down to the manager, although I believe it's because the players who aren't injured are low on confidence. Part of this is because we have so very little attacking threat since Benteke and Kozak's injuries. I don't know what Lambert's many critics expect him to do with what's left. Probably it comes down to whether you think the available players could perform better under a different manager. Personally I doubt it.

The results have been appalling, obviously. But what I don't get is how on the one hand everyone claims they understand the constraints the manager's been working under, and yet forget all this when we somehow fail to win games.

Having said all this it's pretty hard to see a manager turning the club around from this position, so regardless of whether Lambert is any good as a manager it might still be in the club's interests to let him go. I really feel for him though. He took on the poisoned chalice at the worst possible time, was given very little to spend, and what he did get he spent well (nobody who can understand the combining factors of injury, low wage budget and low quality of initial squad would deny that this is true).

Anyway, he's not my uncle or anything, so sack or don't sack. Whatever. But I don't believe Lambert has had a fair chance to show us what he can do. I think anyone who disagrees is overestimating how much effect the manager has in boosting squad confidence and implementing tactics. It's possible I could be wrong of course - that happened at least twice in the '90's.

Pulis.

Pulis might be doing well with Palace, that doesn't make him right for us. Lambert was brilliant with Norwich for example. Its OK looking at the table and picking a manager, but it takes a lot more to find the right man for the club.

• Like 3

Palace were in a much worse position than us though dodgy and they were going down before Pulis arrived. He has turned the club around with the same or worse quality at his disposal while under Lambert we have just gotten worse.

• Like 1

Palace were in a much worse position than us though dodgy and they were going down before Pulis arrived. He has turned the club around with the same or worse quality at his disposal while under Lambert we have just gotten worse.

We will see how Pulis does next year. He is the man of the moment and maybe the right fit for Palace.

Yes, but there is so much more involved. I wouldn't want us to jump on Pulis over 4 months work, it would be yet more short term thinking. Also he spent a lot of money on average at Stoke, and the football was similar to what we currently see.

• Like 1

Aston villa is one of the most difficult jobs in english football, the fans are known too be very hard too please and are known too get on the players and managers back very quickly. Not a dig, we are what we are. Its a very difficult club too manage at the best of times let alone when the owner is cutting everything right down, transfer budget,wages etc. Let's be honest he inherited a load of shit, our wage bill was sky high and we were one of the biggest spending clubs under o'neill. He also shipped players in that were not good enough. I personally don't think lambert has had the freedom too do what he wanted too do. He signed up knowing what was expected of him, survive on a shoe string budget paying championship wages. Once the books were balanced we could move forward. In lerners eyes he's done everything he got asked too do, in the fans eyes he's a joke. I've not been impressed but I'd like him too be given 50m and say here you are go and do what you want too do. He's already stated that the players he wants next season will cost money. For all lamberts faults I see a young ish manager with ambition. He knows where this club should be and I truly believe he wants too lead us there. Some might laugh at the ambition remark but I'm afraid it aint lambert with no ambition its lerner. But in a sense can you blame lerner for wanting too get the books in order? We spent a lot of money and paid big wages under o'neill all for nothing really when you look back.

• Like 2

Its not just Lambert is though. We as a club are in the middle of a perfect storm.

- Disinterested and absent owner (Doug should have some due diligence on the Cleveland Browns)

- A manager with no motivational skills, no tactical astuteness, no Plan B, impossible to understand in post match interviews and now a dead man walking.

- Injuries to key players.

- Alarming loss of form from key players. Did we really give Weimann a new and enhanced contract?

- Inability of the players to do even the basics properly.

- Reliance of players who are clearly not premiership quality.

I could go on. Lambert is a symptom of the malaise that is Aston Villa. The cause is Randy Lerner. Any sensible owner would have sacked Lambert months ago.

Absolutely spot on...sadly.

Its not just Lambert is though. We as a club are in the middle of a perfect storm.

- Disinterested and absent owner (Doug should have some due diligence on the Cleveland Browns)

- A manager with no motivational skills, no tactical astuteness, no Plan B, impossible to understand in post match interviews and now a dead man walking.

- Injuries to key players.

- Alarming loss of form from key players. Did we really give Weimann a new and enhanced contract?

- Reliance of players who are clearly not premiership quality.

I could go on. Lambert is a symptom of the malaise that is Aston Villa. The cause is Randy Lerner. Any sensible owner would have sacked Lambert months ago.

Absolutely spot on...sadly.

-  Injuries to key players.

-  Reliance of players who are clearly not premiership quality.

This is exactly spot on.

-  Injuries to key players.

-  Reliance of players who are clearly not premiership quality.

This is exactly spot on.

I agree, the players that we have that are premier league quality are either: 1. Injured or 2. Going through a real bad patch in terms of form and confidence. The remaining players are not premier league quality. I remember back to that game at Anfield last season where I saw a good Liverpool side dismantled by us.. So we have the ability when all are fit and well, sadly we lack any depth. I actually have some sympathy for Lambert. His success at Norwich suggests that he has some ability in management. If he is to go, who do we turn to? A journeyman like Curbishley, everyone mentions Laudrup?? Swansea didn't think he was right for them, why would he be right for us? Part of me would like to see Lambert manage without the shackles of financial constraint that have been placed on him.... But I am probably in a minority of 1!!

• Like 1

Yes, but there is so much more involved. I wouldn't want us to jump on Pulis over 4 months work, it would be yet more short term thinking. Also he spent a lot of money on average at Stoke, and the football was similar to what we currently see.

I like pulis and I liked stoke apart from his last season in charge. He had a well drilled team who were a very good team. Ugly but effective and hard too beat.

Aston villa is one of the most difficult jobs in english football, the fans are known too be very hard too please and are known too get on the players and managers back very quickly. ...

that's complete Bull. I'll grant you lambert's circs have been very difficult. The rest, no. Fans hard to please? Not true, no more than any other set of fans. Lambert has had more leeway than he had any right to expect. Ditto the bloke before him. Yes eventually fans will lose patience with poor performances, but that's true anywhere.

I don't know what Lambert's many critics expect him to do with what's left. Probably it comes down to whether you think the available players could perform better under a different manager. Personally I doubt it.

So you think the players are crap but have no problem with the manager for signing them. And let's not pretend we were playing amazing football and getting consistent results when benteke and kozak were fit.

To suggest no one else could do better than losing 18 games out of 35 is ridiculous.

Considering the history AMc had and the fact we didn't want him here, I think he was given a lot of time by the fans. Wasn't until about this point in the season when we lost at home to Bolton that fans really called for his head.

Aston villa is one of the most difficult jobs in english football, the fans are known too be very hard too please and are known too get on the players and managers back very quickly. ...

that's complete Bull. I'll grant you lambert's circs have been very difficult. The rest, no. Fans hard to please? Not true, no more than any other set of fans. Lambert has had more leeway than he had any right to expect. Ditto the bloke before him. Yes eventually fans will lose patience with poor performances, but that's true anywhere.

Have to agree. I think Lambert has been very fortunate to have the support as long as he has.

Â