Paul Lambert

limpid

I wouldn't bet on it Paul, although you may be right. It's pathetic that for the 3rd straight season we are a real possibility of being relegated.

In those 3 seasons we have (with 3 to play this season) played 111 winning just 26 games. For a club like Villa that's totally unacceptable. Do I blame Lambert 100% no as TSM was in charge 3 seasons back and only won 7 of 38 but I fully blame Lambert for the dire football that we now play, for the dross players we now have the embarrassment seeing wearing the once proud Villa shirt. He signed these awful players who can barely play football.

I really wanted Lambert to do well but he's out of his depth from a supporters POV, for Lerner he is perfect though as he keeps the club lean and costs down. Yes we on here all support Aston Villa it's in our blood but boy is this difficult times doing so.

I want him gone, but I'd probably keep him until the end of the season at this point. We're not going to get a manager with quality as I don't see anybody just taking on the job for 3 games and leaving.They're also Lamberts players and they do seem to like him. We were in the shit last season and they pulled through for him in the end and I hope they can do the same here.

Sacking him and promoting a coach, to me, wouldn't do anything to improve things. I don't rate Lambert at all, but better him than some coach.

Where I'm at fwiw:

I don't really care whether Lambert stays or goes. I can see that the players don't APPEAR all that motivated, and maybe some of that is down to the manager, although I believe it's because the players who aren't injured are low on confidence. Part of this is because we have so very little attacking threat since Benteke and Kozak's injuries. I don't know what Lambert's many critics expect him to do with what's left. Probably it comes down to whether you think the available players could perform better under a different manager. Personally I doubt it.

The results have been appalling, obviously. But what I don't get is how on the one hand everyone claims they understand the constraints the manager's been working under, and yet forget all this when we somehow fail to win games.

Having said all this it's pretty hard to see a manager turning the club around from this position, so regardless of whether Lambert is any good as a manager it might still be in the club's interests to let him go. I really feel for him though. He took on the poisoned chalice at the worst possible time, was given very little to spend, and what he did get he spent well (nobody who can understand the combining factors of injury, low wage budget and low quality of initial squad would deny that this is true).

Anyway, he's not my uncle or anything, so sack or don't sack. Whatever. But I don't believe Lambert has had a fair chance to show us what he can do. I think anyone who disagrees is overestimating how much effect the manager has in boosting squad confidence and implementing tactics. It's possible I could be wrong of course - that happened at least twice in the '90's.

• Like 1

Its not just Lambert is though. We as a club are in the middle of a perfect storm.

- Disinterested and absent owner (Doug should have some due diligence on the Cleveland Browns)

- A manager with no motivational skills, no tactical astuteness, no Plan B, impossible to understand in post match interviews and now a dead man walking.

- Injuries to key players.

- Alarming loss of form from key players. Did we really give Weimann a new and enhanced contract?

- Inability of the players to do even the basics properly.

- Reliance of players who are clearly not premiership quality.

I could go on. Lambert is a symptom of the malaise that is Aston Villa. The cause is Randy Lerner. Any sensible owner would have sacked Lambert months ago.

Absolutely spot on...sadly.

• Like 1

Not quite BJ. I agree that Lambert needs to go but font agree with the vitriol and abuse he has received for a long portion of his time here.

How many Times New Roman has said this?

We just need a few more players with Arial ability.

Our defending at times this season has been Comic Sans probably Vlaar. 

• Like 2

Its not just Lambert is though. We as a club are in the middle of a perfect storm.

- Disinterested and absent owner (Doug should have some due diligence on the Cleveland Browns)

- A manager with no motivational skills, no tactical astuteness, no Plan B, impossible to understand in post match interviews and now a dead man walking.

-  Injuries to key players.

- Alarming loss of form from key players. Did we really give Weimann a new and enhanced contract?

-  Reliance of players who are clearly not premiership quality.

I could go on. Lambert is a symptom of the malaise that is Aston Villa. The cause is Randy Lerner. Any sensible owner would have sacked Lambert months ago.

This is exactly spot on.

I thought we would lose against swansea, when I saw the team line ups I knew it would be at least 3 nil or 3.1. I think lambert knows he's lost most of the fans. But we all know lerner won't sack him, if we stay up on goal difference in lerners eyes lambert has done his job and been succesful. Its just about staying in the league spending as little as we can with lerner the past two or three seasons. If its the same next season we will go down.

- Injuries to key players.

- Reliance of players who are clearly not premiership quality.

Totally agree.

Granted he's been very hit and miss with his transfers. Most of them not good enough too be honest, take into account okoure was a huge loss along with benteke. Also benteke aint been the player he was last season. Weimann the same. Still don't take away us being dog shit for most of the season and the shocking football we've had too endure. The players have let the club down, a manager is there too guide you and try and mould a team into a winning team but most of it falls down on the players who go out on the pitch for 90 mins. As professional footballers who get paid thousands of pounds a week for doing very little its a disgrace how they seem lost on a football pitch. Happy to take the money and lifestyle but put little effort and skill into doing what they are meant too be doing. We've saw what we can do at our best,so why does it only happen once in a blue moon. Before the season started we were all confident with lamberts signings and felt we had a decent team. Lambert has a lot too answer for but for crying out loud he aint the one on the pitch. Do the players really need telling how too play football. For me lambert aint the main culprit here but he's the easy target. I agree he's been a let down but it aint his all doing.

I think most would agree with you that the players aren't good enough. But the point is Lambert's the one putting them out there and for the most part he's the one signing them. If you sign shit players and select shit players, the blame has to come to your doorstep.

Another thing I've read people saying get rid of lambert and put cowans in charge. If that happend and we lost our last 3 games 5.0 who would get the stick? Certainly not cowans, it would still be lamberts fault. If cowans would of taken over at xmas and we still had the same run of results we have had it would still be lamberts fault, can't possibly be cowans fault because he inherited lamberts squad. Would cowans get the stick lamberts getting? NO because he's a villa legend. Does anyone think any of our players are going too give a shit that cowans is at the realm. The players don't give a flying toss about the history and pride of the club like they won't give a shit about some old villa legend taking charge of them. It means nothing new for them, I aint team lambert here but he's inherited a load of shit and got told to cut everything, which means buying championship players in the hope that we will find a few gems. It aint worked, is it lamberts fault entirely? No. Sacking him now would be crazy, if we did and we put cowans at the realm and we stayed up by one point who's the hero? . There is so much wrong with this great old club at the moment but I do see us being a force again.

Just because he is a Villa legend, it doesn't mean we will stay up. We as a club spend far too much time 'looking back' and some even call for Graham Taylor to be on the board, I have also seen calls for John Gregory to step in!

Can't we look forward, instead of back?

Cowans is a legend, Taylor was a great manager first time and Gregory loves us, this doesn't mean they are the right people.

• Like 1

I think most would agree with you that the players aren't good enough. But the point is Lambert's the one putting them out there and for the most part he's the one signing them. If you sign shit players and select shit players, the blame has to come to your doorstep.

I bet its so frustrating for lambert like it is for us. You see a player who looks decent enough but it just don't work out or the player just can't cut it. If signing players was that easy we would all be having ago at being the manager. At our best were a top ten team easily so why is it were struggling too survive. I'm not defending lambert entirely, he's just one of many problems.

Just because he is a Villa legend, it doesn't mean we will stay up. We as a club spend far too much time 'looking back' and some even call for Graham Taylor to be on the board, I have also seen calls for John Gregory to step in!

Can't we look forward, instead of back?

Cowans is a legend, Taylor was a great manager first time and Gregory loves us, this doesn't mean they are the right people.

exactly.

Just sticking my colours on the mast. I still support Lambert. I don't think it's his fault the mess we're all in and I'd prefer to stick with him.

I agree Darren.

I don't think he's the root of all our problems. In fact I cannot imagine any manager doing any better in the circumstances.

We need changes at the club financially which will hopefully come this summer and I for one would like to see lambert given a season without financial constraints as I think sacking him now after him keeping us safe with a championship team two seasons in a row would be a bit harsh.

I know some people will point out that he signed lower league players etc but with the wage structure as it is that's about all he could do.

You don't think any other manager would do better than 18 defeats in a season and who built that championship team?

Â