Paul Lambert

limpid

The fact that the players applauded him onto the training pitch (if true) 

That was the bit that made me laugh the most.

I think if you have to put in "(if true)" at the end, you have sort of disqualified it from being called a "fact".

Good spin, though.

I didn't think Lambert had it in him!

The axing of his 2 (supposedly) closest work colleagues shows who is in control, so now Paul Lambert will you show us what your made of. Stand up and be counted or go.

Sid is one of my all time hero's, one of the sweetest left foots to ever play the game imo. So if anyone can help Lambert improve the clubs moral then it may well be our very own Mr Aston Villa, Sid Cowans. However there is still the problem that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear so they all have their work cut out with what's left of this squad.

Until now I have really wanted Lambert out ASAP however I'm going to back right off and see what happens, hopefully this will be the making of Lambert and Aston Villa.

• Like 1

If what's being reported is true then it reflects very badly on Lambert. How he could let the situation get so out of control before taking action is a real worry.

I keep reading things like this but as I alluded to in my post, he wanted to take action sooner but wasn't allowed to do so.

From my point of view there are two aspects to this. 

First, they are his hand-picked team with whom he has worked for many years. If a culture of bullying/other unacceptable practices grew up under their regime at Villa, what was he doing to manage that and to alter their behaviour? There has to be at the very least a bit of a question mark over his ability to influence his key coaching staff.

Secondly, having identified the problem and come up with the rather drastic solution of removing them, I'm quite prepared to believe the board were reluctant to do that for financial reasons. Lambert does deserve credit for winning that battle in the end. 

None of that makes me feel much better about the club and how it is run from top to bottom (though as ever I exempt the tea lady from any blame).

We just have to hope this gives the squad a boost and they produce a stonking performance on Saturday. It won't look too good if we put in yet another lame performance, so the stakes seem quite high.

• Like 1

Whether this should have been dealt with earlier is irrelevant now. It's done. Sometimes when things are bad you don't see what is plain obvious and right in front of you (the wood for the trees), so it doesn't surprise me that it's taken til now. What is important is that the players AND Lambert seem to have responded positively to this and, by all accounts, enjoyed training. I won't pass judgment on things until I see if this responds to at least better response on matchday. And I mean resultswise right now. Good football can stay on the touchline til we are safe if necessary.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

If what's being reported is true then it reflects very badly on Lambert. How he could let the situation get so out of control before taking action is a real worry.

I keep reading things like this but as I alluded to in my post, he wanted to take action sooner but wasn't allowed to do so.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but those who said he should've taken action sooner don't necessarily mean they should have suspended them sooner, just that Lambert should have got a grip on things earlier e.g. monitoring training more closely, overseeing things more regularly, and questioning why our performances seemed to be deteriorating.

• Like 3

I have to laugh at the majority of posters naivety here.

The revelations coming out of Villa park.

Is any body really truly, truly shocked?

The same as when the two Baggies players had a bust up a couple of weeks ago.

This is the reality of the professional football industry.

It goes on behind the scenes at every single club.

In the midst of a relegation battle passions run high, things get said & matters get out of control.

In reality it's just human nature.

Ultimately too, it is all positive, because every thing is now out in the open, so hopefully we can all rally round & all move on.

There is nothing positive about Culverhouse/Karsa doing a lousy bullying job of carrying out Lambert's instructions. There is nothing positive about Lambert failing to realise that his staff were out of order. It's not human nature, it's gross incompetence! We will all be behind the team on saturday against Southampton, but your assumption that VT posters are naive is wrong. We are all intelligent human beings with our own opinions, and if you think that what has been happening at Villa behind the scenes is normal then I would say you are in a very small minority.

Please read my post again - I clearly state not just at Villa park but at all football clubs.

If you disagree with me fine. That is your prerogative but I do believe in this instance you are underlining my point about being naive.

Also, the things you say are not positive have now been addressed, so that is my point & that clearly therefore is a positive.

Are you shocked by today's events?

Is any body shocked by today's events?

It's life!

Do you really think that todays club statement has fully addressed Villa's management and coaching deficiencies? If you do then I'm sad to say that it"s you who may be naive. One press release from AVFC does not resolve a problem that has been brewing for a number of years. It's not "life," it's a loss of professional control which is unacceptable in a multi million pound business.

Perhaps we're both naive about being naive!

It won't be long now before some other  sordid affair is splashed across the red top papers in another multi million pound business.

It happens every day in every industry. It get's covered up for a while & then it all explodes.

There is nothing shocking about it. Nothing.

& that is my point.

Its happened to the ginger minge in eastenders

What kind of manager (in any workplace environment) knows his assistant is disrupting and bullying his team and stays away from the situation on a regular basis?

I think that's terrible in any workplace environment.

Happens all the time in the NHS

• Like 2

Just playing devil's advocate here, but those who said he should've taken action sooner don't necessarily mean they should have suspended them sooner, just that Lambert should have got a grip on things earlier e.g. monitoring training more closely, overseeing things more regularly, and questioning why our performances seemed to be deteriorating.

Dunno - just my opinion - maybe he heard and knew but as many do (case in point when my son was bullied at school - at one point he had his back cut with a stanley knife but kept if from us for over a year and never changed clothes in front of anyone so teachers watched from afar until they had proof). Lambert observed from afar for a while to make sure it was not a 'one-off' incident.

Once it became clear it was ongoing - he took action so maybe just maybe he did the right thing after seeing for himself what was happening. Just my opinion

• Like 1

None of that makes me feel much better about the club and how it is run from top to bottom (though as ever I exempt the tea lady from any blame).

We just have to hope this gives the squad a boost and they produce a stonking performance on Saturday. It won't look too good if we put in yet another lame performance, so the stakes seem quite high.

Typical VT double standards as usual.

• Like 2

Maybe, just maybe Lambert really cares about the job at Villa and has the club's best interests at heart - hence moving out Culverhouse and Karsa.

I was at Palace and was a little saddened at the demenour of our players - no one seemed bothered and the unity we had witnessed at the beginning of the season appeared to be missing.

My Palace mate commented on the fact our subs bench were warming up by themselves well away from the starting XI and thought that something was amiss.

I sincerely hope we see a change in the players from now on - maybe with the apparent off field dramas addressed the players can concentrate on doing their jobs on the pitch and start enjoying themselves again.

• Like 2

I may have things wrong but I believe Lambert has the job of "manager" so if one or two of his staff were doing things he didn't like, why didn't he, er..., manage them and make them stop? Waiting for months then suspending them might be seen as a bit weak.

At present all the info seeping out is coming from Lambert so we are not getting the full story (and probably never will) and there are many puzzling aspects to the case.

You raise a good point Briny.

Very interesting post from Trent which for me raises as many questions as it gives answers.

Lambert has known both Culverhouse and Karsa for a long time and they have worked alongside Lambert for 8 years. He must know them inside out. He is either a terrible judge of character or they must have had complete changes in personality for Culverhouse to turn into a bully who was hated by most of the first team squad and Karsa to be acting Billy big bollocks and clashing with Faulkner.

For Culverhouse to supposedly be hated by the players it would suggest it is more than the odd incident which has led to this. It makes you wonder how little time Lambert spends overseeing training if things have gone on for so long and to such an extent that the first team coach is hated by the players. It is not as though they have been trying to coach players they inherited that wouldn't accept the new training regime. Gabby and Delph are the only senior players that Lambert and co inherited that haven't been bombed out.

I am not sure how all this reflects on Lambert. At the very least it seems that he was unable to keep in line his apparently trusted lieutenants.

A couple of things are required for context here.

Firstly, I'd imagine it's harder to just sack a coach than it is a manager. You'd probably need good reason so as not to be hauled up in front of tribunals etc. In the modern world (even within football) you can't just sack people. Even swearing at a fan is probably only worthy of a written warning in reality, even though it seems Lambert wanted it to be treated more severely. Perhaps that was the trigger for Culverhouse to starting playing up. Perhaps it was part of a longer saga.

Secondly, what has happened doesn't necessarily reflect badly on Lambert. He's worked with them for a number of years but under very different circumstances. Previously they'd worked (apart from one season at Norwich) at smaller clubs, with lower profile players and under less pressure. On the whole they'd enjoyed a great deal of success. When the going gets tough etc. Perhaps these lads just didn't fancy it.

I think thirdly there will potentially be an issue of cost, whether we like it or not. We paid to hire them, we'd have to pay them off to get shot of them, and without the right evidence (hence the suspension and inquiry - doing things by the book) we might have had to pay them again following any legal proceedings.

Lambert has clearly identified an issue relating to the performance of two people who had previously been key members of staff throughout his career. Not only has he taken steps to address that, he's followed it up by appointing two replacements who he feels are best placed to get the most out of the squad at his disposal. From what we're hearing out of Bodymoor Heath it's a move which seems to have been met favourably with the team.

Rather than pick the guy apart for all this, I say he should be applauded for it.

There are plenty of other angles to have a pop at Lambert in the last few months. This isn't one of them.

Spot on, I like Lambert more after this.

• Like 1

Everyone at Norwich must be laughing their little legs off at this and could you blame them?

I think they have their own worries.

No doubt but that's not going to stop one or two there finding it hard to wipe a wry grin of their face at our and more importantly Lambert's current predicament.

I have to laugh at the majority of posters naivety here.

The revelations coming out of Villa park.

Is any body really truly, truly shocked?

The same as when the two Baggies players had a bust up a couple of weeks ago.

This is the reality of the professional football industry.

It goes on behind the scenes at every single club.

In the midst of a relegation battle passions run high, things get said & matters get out of control.

In reality it's just human nature.

Ultimately too, it is all positive, because every thing is now out in the open, so hopefully we can all rally round & all move on.

There is nothing positive about Culverhouse/Karsa doing a lousy bullying job of carrying out Lambert's instructions. There is nothing positive about Lambert failing to realise that his staff were out of order. It's not human nature, it's gross incompetence! We will all be behind the team on saturday against Southampton, but your assumption that VT posters are naive is wrong. We are all intelligent human beings with our own opinions, and if you think that what has been happening at Villa behind the scenes is normal then I would say you are in a very small minority.

Please read my post again - I clearly state not just at Villa park but at all football clubs.

If you disagree with me fine. That is your prerogative but I do believe in this instance you are underlining my point about being naive.

Also, the things you say are not positive have now been addressed, so that is my point & that clearly therefore is a positive.

Are you shocked by today's events?

Is any body shocked by today's events?

It's life!

Do you really think that todays club statement has fully addressed Villa's management and coaching deficiencies? If you do then I'm sad to say that it"s you who may be naive. One press release from AVFC does not resolve a problem that has been brewing for a number of years. It's not "life," it's a loss of professional control which is unacceptable in a multi million pound business.

Perhaps we're both naive about being naive!

It won't be long now before some other  sordid affair is splashed across the red top papers in another multi million pound business.

It happens every day in every industry. It get's covered up for a while & then it all explodes.

There is nothing shocking about it. Nothing.

& that is my point.

Just go back a few pages in this thread and start reading. There's quite a few that have been shocked about this unless you are the only one that expected this to happen.

I have a feeling that the club would want to wait until the summer to do such actions. But then the results deteriorated.

• Like 1

Karsa and Culverhouse leave the same day Ireland signs 3 year deal at Stoke :detect:

Grrr.

Just been reading about how he's finally rediscovered the form he showed in his first season at Man C and how he feels loved for the first time in years.

The fact he felt unloved didn't stop him taking vast amounts of money off us while he rediscovered hi mojo.

Edited by briny_ear

I think the time for post mortems and analysing where we are as a club and ,  more importantly,  where we are going as a club are once we are safe this season.  Maybe then there'll be some clarity on decisions and changes that we can all discuss

• Like 3

Â