Paul Lambert

limpid

What I find most disappointing after the awful results Is the tragic style of hoof ball we have adopted

Really not easy on the eye

Thats why I want Laudrup in to see what he can do. There's no chance he will be doing worse than Lambert and Eck anyways. Give him a go, at least we will improve our passing

• Like 1

What I find most disappointing after the awful results Is the tragic style of hoof ball we have adopted

Thats why I want Laudrup in to see what he can do. There's no chance he will be doing worse than Lambert and Eck anyways. Give him a go, at least we will improve our passing

Whether it be Laudrup or whoever I just want a manager that actually knows how to play football.

I want to be proud of the way my team plays and I want fans and managers of other teams and football pundits to comment on the fact that Villa play good football.

I don't expect to win titles or cups or be the English version of Barcelona.

Is that too much to want for a fan of a club the size of Aston Villa?

• Like 1

Whether it be Laudrup or whoever I just want a manager that actually knows how to play football.

I want to be proud of the way my team plays and I want fans and managers of other teams and football pundits to comment on the fact that Villa play good football.

No it's not too much to want, but unfortunately we are in transition and in all honesty we don't know how good this manger is or whether he is our long term solution yet.

Admittedly he's made some questionable decisions regarding tactics and subs, but we have to accept that he MAY HAVE BEEN restricted so much financially with fees and probably more so by wages that he's been unable to roll out his own plan.

Lambert came out in public and stated that Lerner hasn't provided funds for the players he has targeted. I imagine this is the case as if it was not the truth there would have been repercussions.

Most of us aren't happy with results, but we haven't seen what he can do with right backing.

No it's not too much to want, but unfortunately we are in transition and in all honesty we don't know how good this manger is or whether he is our long term solution yet.

Admittedly he's made some questionable decisions regarding tactics and subs, but we have to accept that he MAY HAVE BEEN restricted so much financially with fees and probably more so by wages that he's been unable to roll out his own plan.

Lambert came out in public and stated that Lerner hasn't provided funds for the players he has targeted. I imagine this is the case as if it was not the truth there would have been repercussions.

Most of us aren't happy with results, but we haven't seen what he can do with right backing.

This club is in a permanent state of transition

I don't actually think Laudrup would do better. Think it would be Houllier all over again - and given the overtures he made at swansea about money for players, I doub't he'd be intersted in the villa job. Forget Laudrup the player - as a manager he has a patchy record - his successes have been where he taken over a reasonable side. Not the type of guy to revive on a club on a budget IMO.

I do get the feeling will be looking for a new manager come June though. Reading the latest snippets it would seems that Lambert is set to ask Randy for considerably more funds there are number of implications if true:-

1.In Feb the rumours were that Lambo was set to sign a new deal - surely the discussion of transfer funds would have arose then  (my suspicion is a new deal was only tentatively discussed - if at all)  

2.It would be a surprise to me if Lambert (or any future manager) got significant funds from Lerner - Is Lambert trying to engineer a story where he leaves because of a lack of funding - rather than pushed through lack of results ?

Edited by smetrov

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert tells unhappy fans to take a reality check ahead of Crystal Palace test
  •  

Michael ReganAston-Villa-v-Stoke-City-Premier-League-
Get real: Paul Lambert says Villa fans need to accept the club's position

Paul Lambert has urged unhappy Aston Villa fans to take a reality check.

The Scot is under fresh fire after three successive defeats, including last week’s loss at home to fellow strugglers Fulham, who were bottom at the time.

They have a chance to end that run today at Crystal Palace.

Some disgruntled supporters want the manager’s proposed new contract shelved.

Lambert says he is happy for the deal to be put on the back burner while Villa, 13th in the table, focus on completing their Premier League campaign.

But he insists the team have made “major progress” during his second season in charge, having finished sixth from bottom last term.

Lambert wants more ­understanding of the constraints he is working under – including a reduced wage bill and cheaper ­signings as owner Randy Lerner aims to make the club self-financing.

“The history and ­expectancy is there, but there has to be that realism that this is where it is at the minute,” said Lambert.

“There’s a lot of stuff people don’t see. Am I happy where we are? No. Did I come to Aston Villa to do this? No.

“This club should be higher, there is no two ways about it. It has great tradition and great ­pedigree.

“I knew the first few years would be really hard because of what we had to do. I knew that, but we have to get this club 
up there.

“I’m certainly not sitting here thinking it’s good. We have to do everything we can to get this club up the ladder. It has to be.”

Lambert inherited a side from Alex McLeish which came 16th with 38 points.

He sold, released or sent on loan big-earners such as Richard Dunne, Stephen Ireland, Jean Makoun, Alan Hutton and Darren Bent.

They were replaced with lower-league buys and foreign acquisitions, such as Ashley Westwood, 24, and Christian Benteke, 23.

Lambert added: “We have to progress and definite progress has been made.

"There is a nucleus of young players, which is major progress, but ultimately you have to win games.”

Edited by Mendi
  • Like 2

"There’s a lot of stuff people don’t see. Am I happy where we are? No. Did I come to Aston Villa to do this? No."

Maybe Lambert wasn't 100% ITK about the sort of restraints and stuff that would be in place.

"There’s a lot of stuff people don’t see. Am I happy where we are? No. Did I come to Aston Villa to do this? No."

Maybe Lambert wasn't 100% ITK about the sort of restraints and stuff that would be in place.

I get the impression there have been players that he really wanted and was told we couldn't afford them. When he didn't think they were going to be considered out of our price range.

Couldn't resist bringing up the supposed lack of 'realism' from fans again I see. Can he ever go a press-conference without trying to push blame onto us nowadays?

• Like 1

Hold on.

He really needs to stop talking about 'restraints'.

If he was allowed to spend £7m on single player last summer, why the **** did he blow it on a striker (not needed) when we were crying out for experience,creativity and ability in midfield,

And if he believes that being a single point better off is 'major progress' he has got a bloody screw loose.

He has made a number of points this week, this one on the back of the Wiemann and Baker comments.

To me, it all smacks of a manager who is looking to deflect from his own shortcomings.

• Like 2

Hold on.

If he was allowed to spend £7m on single player last summer, why the **** did he blow it on a striker (not needed) when we were crying out for experience,creativity and ability in midfield,

And if he believes that being a single point better off is 'major progress' he has got a bloody screw loose.

He has made a number of points this week, this one on the back of the Wiemann and Baker comments.

To me, it all smacks of a manager who is looking to deflect from his own shortcomings.

I think the bigger problem isn't the transfer fees but the wages he's allowed to offer. Most our signings have been £15k a week or lower. The average premier league wages is around £30k a week, which is why Lambert is yet to buy a player with more than a couple of games premier league games before. Lambert has said quite a few times we can't compeate with Stoke, West Ham, Norwich and West Brom...(**** West Brom) with wages.

Hold on.

I think the bigger problem isn't the transfer fees but the wages he's allowed to offer. Most our signings have been £15k a week or lower. The average premier league wages is around £30k a week, which is why Lambert is yet to buy a player with more than a couple of games premier league games before. Lambert has said quite a few times we can't compeate with Stoke, West Ham, Norwich and West Brom...(**** West Brom) with wages.

I don't disagree with anything you have said mate, but if wages are an issue, rather than dilute your budget over a number of lesser quality players, bring in a smaller number of quality players and pay them more.

How many full backs has he brought in, 5? If you include Bacuna.

5 bloody fullbacks, and he has ended up with a loanee on one side and a mish mash on the the other.

That is not a good use of resources.

I think there is too much being made of the "There’s a lot of stuff people don’t see" quote also. I think he means that lots of progress has been made behind the scenes. He has used that one before:

"The progress we have made since the last West Ham game, for example, is night and day.

The whole thing is totally different. A lot of the work has probably gone unseen.

But in the long-term, it will benefit the club. That's the most important thing."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3657410,00.html

Edited by Isa

Couldn't resist bringing up the supposed lack of 'realism' from fans again I see. Can he ever go a press-conference without trying to push blame onto us nowadays?

Think you need to re-read what he said - he's pushing the blame onto Lerner and the board.

Think you need to re-read what he said - he's pushing the blame onto Lerner and the board.

Then there was no need to him to drop in the petty 'realism' comment as he always does.

Then there was no need to him to drop in the petty 'realism' comment as he always does.

I don't think it's petty at all - he's just trying to convey to fans the financial restrictions he's working under.

Â