Paul Lambert

limpid

"that’s more than the £33.85m Lambert has spent in FOUR transfer windows at Villa."

They're almost as far away from the correct figure as you were Trent!

Edited by Risso

While some criticism of Lambert is justified I personally think much of it, particularly in this thread is over the top and pays far too little real attention to the circumstances in which he has managed for the duration of his time at the club. The role of our absentee owner, sorry custodian, and what conditions and even requirements have been set.

I don't expect those who have firmly nailed their colours to the mast in relation to Lambert to change their minds, or even accept any of the following but for those more on the fence and yet undecided perhaps it will be of more interest.

By Graeme Bryce - The Sun

JOSE MOURINHO is the Special One. David Moyes, the Chosen One.

With every passing week Paul Lambert looks increasingly like The Shafted One.

The Aston Villa boss has been butchered by furious fans complaining about his work on local radio phone-ins this week.

Bu it’s time they targeted the true source of their problem.

It isn’t the poor patsy in the dug-out, it’s the billionaire calling the shots on the other side of the Atlantic they should expect more from.

Randy Lerner has reached a crossroads with Aston Villa in his eighth season as owner.

He chucked cash at Martin O’Neill but hit a financial ceiling as Villa fell short of the Champions’ League.

The American also dug deep to wipe out £100million of club debt, while donating £1million to Acorns, the children’s charity Aston Villa sponsor.

For these reasons, Lerner does not deserve to be declared the Villan of the piece.

But two seasons ago he decided to tighten his belt and slash expenditure — drastically.

He examined the squad he had assembled and saw £24million Darren Bent and £10million Charles N’Zogbia trousering £60,000 a week — in a stale squad of serial relegation dodgers.

So he brought in Lambert, a manager who had worked on a shoestring budget at Norwich.

He then gave him two seasons to gut the place and replace high earners with guys willing to do the same job — on Championship wages.

The trouble is Lerner didn’t bother to tell the Villa fans any of this.

He simply headed for his bunker across the pond — leaving Lambert to deal with the fallout.

The Villa boss kept his side of the bargain to slash costs.

Now it’s time for Lerner to cut him some slack and let him start building Villa up again.

This season’s new broadcasting deal means even the club which finishes bottom rakes in £63million — £3million more than Manchester United earned for winning the title last year!

Plenty of clubs dipped in to invest some of that windfall last summer.

Southampton spent £35m on three signings — that’s more than the £33.85m Lambert has spent in FOUR transfer windows at Villa.

The Scot spent £15m this season on NINE players.

Striker Libor Kozak — who cost £5m — hit four goals in eight Premier starts before breaking his leg and £4million Danish defender Jores Okore started twice before a cruciate knee injury ended his debut season too.

And now Christian Benteke’s is out for six months.

Despite the crippling blows, Lambert currently looks down on seven clubs below him in the table.

Every one of those clubs has spent way more than him.

It’s why Lerner hasn’t joined the other seven owners in changing manager — because Lambert has done everything asked of him.

The former European cup winner was regarded, with Roberto Martinez and Brendan Rodgers, as one of our brightest young managers two summers ago.

Now his reputation has been severely damaged while carrying out his thankless task.

He will probably limp over the line, battered and bruised, having kept Villa up again.

But like Villa supporters, Lambert needs to feel the love again from Lerner.

You can't argue with that. For all the lies and half-truths coming out of the club, I do want to see what Lambert can do for 1 more season and with a bit of investment.

• Like 1

A decent article in the sun and I fully agree that Lerner is the major issue at the club. But for me it doesn't excuse the abysmal season we've had.

It doesn't excuse it, but it does go some distance to explaining it.  Still think Lambert should have done better this season and I also think Lambert thinks he should've done better.

By the way BJ, would you not like to see what he does with some decent money?  (Or, to be honest, with another £20m if he no longer needs a squad).  I know you sit in the "everyone out" camp, but I consider Lambert's transfer dealings pretty decent - especially at the "top end".

I think if Lambert is able to shift Bent, Given, N'Zogbia, Hutton, and Herd in the summer. Lerner needs to back him heavily with funds. He fulfilled the request to lower the wage bill of players who do not meet the criteria.  Any excuses for not backing the manager sufficiently is not excusable. That way at least, we can invest higher wages and transfer fees into players who are not simply becoming part of the squad, but are realistic first-team players.

A decent article in the sun and I fully agree that Lerner is the major issue at the club. But for me it doesn't excuse the abysmal season we've had.

It doesn't excuse it, but it does go some distance to explaining it. Still think Lambert should have done better this season and I also think Lambert thinks he should've done better.

By the way BJ, would you not like to see what he does with some decent money? (Or, to be honest, with another £20m if he no longer needs a squad). I know you sit in the "everyone out" camp, but I consider Lambert's transfer dealings pretty decent - especially at the "top end".

12 months ago I was intrigued to see what he would do. The way we ended the season made me excited about what this season could bring and how we would build on it. To be honest I'm just bored of him, have no faith in him and no real interest in seeing what he will do with more money.

His tactics, the way we play football and the reliance on having a big target man up front with no plan b have pretty much destroyed any excitement I had.

Edited by Big_John_10
  • Like 2

It doesn't excuse it, but it does go some distance to explaining it.  Still think Lambert should have done better this season and I also think Lambert thinks he should've done better.

By the way BJ, would you not like to see what he does with some decent money?  (Or, to be honest, with another £20m if he no longer needs a squad).  I know you sit in the "everyone out" camp, but I consider Lambert's transfer dealings pretty decent - especially at the "top end".

Personally, I wouldn't want to see him given a decent transfer pot.  His style of football is archaic, so at best we'd be a worse version of Martin O'Neill era Villa.  Sack him, get a new boss who has a different footballing philosophy, and we might just pull out of this slump.

• Like 3

It doesn't excuse it, but it does go some distance to explaining it. Still think Lambert should have done better this season and I also think Lambert thinks he should've done better.

By the way BJ, would you not like to see what he does with some decent money? (Or, to be honest, with another £20m if he no longer needs a squad). I know you sit in the "everyone out" camp, but I consider Lambert's transfer dealings pretty decent - especially at the "top end".

12 months ago I was intrigued to see what he would do. The way we ended the season made me excited about what this season could bring and how we would build on it. To be honest I'm just bored of him, have no faith in him and no real interest in seeing what he will do with more money.

His tactics, the way we play football and the reliance on having a big target man up front with no plan b have pretty much destroyed any excitement I had.

I understand all of this (what a target man we've got, eh?).  There's been glimpses of decent football at times and, in more recent games, there certainly seems to be an emphasis on passing the ball rather than hoofing it.  I think we're drastically lacking in quality rather than having a manager that doesn't play the right way although I agree that there seems to be a complete lack of a "plan b".

In addition to this, who do you think should stay in our first team?  Let's assume Lambert stays and insists on playing this 4-3-3-esque formation, which players would you start?  Not fussed about squad players, just the first teamers.

In addition to this, who do you think should stay in our first team?  Let's assume Lambert stays and insists on playing this 4-3-3-esque formation, which players would you start?  Not fussed about squad players, just the first teamers.

Good guestion.

I think the following would be OK in a decent team with much better players around them:

Guzan

Vlaar

Delph

Westwood

Benteke

Agbonlahor

Weimann

(I can't comment one way or the other on Okore and Kojak)

I understand all of this (what a target man we've got, eh?). There's been glimpses of decent football at times and, in more recent games, there certainly seems to be an emphasis on passing the ball rather than hoofing it. I think we're drastically lacking in quality rather than having a manager that doesn't play the right way although I agree that there seems to be a complete lack of a "plan b".

In addition to this, who do you think should stay in our first team? Let's assume Lambert stays and insists on playing this 4-3-3-esque formation, which players would you start? Not fussed about squad players, just the first teamers.

Not too unhappy with the defence if okore is fit and we sign Bertrand.

Only midfield player I'd keep is delph. Think we need a good physical DM and a creative am to play with him.

Upfront I'd obviously keep benteke and would like to see 2 proper wingers played either side of him.

There have been glimpses and I think that's adds to my dissapointment in him. The way we ended last season and started this one made me believe it was going to be something I could fully get behind.

No Bacuna is interesting, as well as the inclusion of Weimann for me.

Defence is your biggest concern then Risso?  3 defenders, 1 midfielder would be your "ideal" summer?

Yes, the defence is abject.  Four terrible full backs.  If I was to keep Bacuna, it wouldn't be as right back but as a utility midfielder who can come on and do a job.  Neither Baker or Clark are good enough, and we need another decent central defender as we don't know how Okore will fare after his injury, and Vlaar isn't that reliable injury-wise.  Delph and Westwood are worth keeping, but we need some width and a proper no 10.  I think Weimann played as a proper out and out striker in front of a midfield that actually creates chances would be an entirely different proposition to the player asked to be a quasi striker/winger feeding off scraps.

Another lazy reference in that article to Southampton. It's getting boring. They've spent money, sure, but they wasted a sizeable chunk of their transfer spend on a nut-case who cried off to Italy.

Their rise has mainly come from good value signings and impressive youth players.

They paid out a similar(ish) outlay for Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, & Fonte as we did for Helenius, Kozak, & Bennett/Luna. Who got the better value!?

They're bringing through players like Chambers, Shaw, Ward Prowse, Lallana. Who have we got coming through our youth system!?

We do well in the Next Gen etc but then these players don't make the step up. That needs looking at again now.

Edit: was thinking Osvaldo was Italian. D'oh!

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

I understand all of this (what a target man we've got, eh?). There's been glimpses of decent football at times and, in more recent games, there certainly seems to be an emphasis on passing the ball rather than hoofing it. I think we're drastically lacking in quality rather than having a manager that doesn't play the right way although I agree that there seems to be a complete lack of a "plan b".

In addition to this, who do you think should stay in our first team? Let's assume Lambert stays and insists on playing this 4-3-3-esque formation, which players would you start? Not fussed about squad players, just the first teamers.

Not too unhappy with the defence if okore is fit and we sign Bertrand.

Only midfield player I'd keep is delph. Think we need a good physical DM and a creative am to play with him.

Upfront I'd obviously keep benteke and would like to see 2 proper wingers played either side of him.

There have been glimpses and I think that's adds to my dissapointment in him. The way we ended last season and started this one made me believe it was going to be something I could fully get behind.

We need to replace given,hutton,Lowton,bennett,Luna,Baker,Clark, westwood,kea,sylla,tonev,nzogbia,Gabby,bowery and wiemann. I'm not convinced on Kozak either.

none of them are good enough or are failing to produce performances. That's 15/16 players that in an ideal world should be moved on. Our squad is bloody horrific which is why we are crap. Lambert is a poor manager with a poor squad which is why we are awful week in week out most of the time

• Like 1

We need to replace given,hutton,Lowton,bennett,Luna,Baker,Clark, westwood,kea,sylla,tonev,nzogbia,Gabby,bowery and wiemann. I'm not convinced on Kozak either.

none of them are good enough or are failing to produce performances. That's 15/16 players that in an ideal world should be moved on. Our squad is bloody horrific which is why we are crap. Lambert is a poor manager with a poor squad which is why we are awful week in week out most of the time

All aboard the utter gash bus!

Utter gash? If you think those players i have listed are good enough for the premier league and have played well this season you must have your eyes shut. The experienced players have not produced the goods and the players Lambert has signed and our academy players while they show effort and commitment the simple fact is they are not good enough for this level. We do have a poor squad and there is no hiding from that fact

• Like 1

Disagree with this.  Lowton, Bennett, Baker, Clark, Westwood, KEA, Agbonlahor and Weimann are all capable squad players (possibly Luna and Tonev too) - there's absolutely no need to move them on and I'd probably have Westwood in the first team to be honest.  Our squad really isn't that bad for where we are, it's just the lack of quality in the first team that is really hindering us.

The one positive from the relatively-low-wage squad is that they'll now have Premier League experience.  Coupled with 4/5 quality players (hopefully) this summer - I think we'd be in decent stead.

Another lazy reference in that article to Southampton. It's getting boring. They've spent money, sure, but they wasted a sizeable chunk of their transfer spend on a nut-case who cried off to Italy.

Their rise has mainly come from good value signings and impressive youth players.

They paid out a similar(ish) outlay for Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, & Fonte as we did for Helenius, Kozak, & Bennett/Luna. Who got the better value!?

They're bringing through players like Chambers, Shaw, Ward Prowse, Lallana. Who have we got coming through our youth system!?

We do well in the Next Gen etc but then these players don't make the step up. That needs looking at again now.

Edit: was thinking Osvaldo was Italian. D'oh!

You say that referencing Southampton is boring but you then use them as a point of reference by selecting their best examples of transfers and youth players to make a false equivalence.

Boring in terms of people keep looking at their transfer spend and using it as a stick to beat our club with.

It's not their total transfer spend, it's how they've spent it; and they have a cracking youth system. If people want to compare us to Southampton they should look at the value they've got from their purchases and the fruitful youth system. Not just "ooohhh look at Southampton above us because they spent X million".

Lambert was 1 million in Division 3, he was not a bargain at all when you consider the circumstances

Â