Paul Lambert

limpid

On 14/11/2020 at 22:17, villa_shere said:

Probably the most embarrassing game I’ve witnessed at VP. One of the only times I’ve seen the stadium empty by 60mins. 

worst part was I was sitting in the away end that day because We had free tickets 

I would still have asked for my money back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

People only comment on how he's doing when he's lost a few matches, when Ipswich are winning games this thread goes quiet.

Still in the play off places and still only three points off top two, the way people were talking I was expecting them to be half way down the table or something.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, useless said:

People only comment on how he's doing when he's lost a few matches, when Ipswich are winning games this thread goes quiet.

Still in the play off places and still only three points off top two, the way people were talking I was expecting them to be half way down the table or something.

They are in league 1. Second season. First they finished mid table.

Ipswich. In league one. They should be doing 100 pts 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

They've been on a really poor run from this time last year looking at the season records.

From 23rd Nov 2019 to now they've played 35 league one games and won 12. Last season before lockdown they'd lost 7 out of 9 so weren't going to make play offs if season had continued.

Just been comfortably beaten by Hull and Charlton at home who are both top 3 so long way off automatic promotion standard which I imagine Ipswich fans were wanting start of the season.

It's like his time here, simply can't believe he's lasted as long as he has considering he's been there two years now.

It's incredible when you look at how he's done since he even left us. Did o.k at Blackburn in fairness in his first job after but that was just stabilising them in mid table in championship. Then took over Wolves and they had a long scoreless run despite likes of Helder Costa and Cavalerio. Finished 16 points off the play offs.

Somehow then got a job at Stoke when they were barely in the relegation zone. Won two games out of 15!

Guy simply dosen't win games in any division now so I'd be amazed if he got another job in England. Just SPL left now for long winless run.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mantis said:

You could argue he did a decent job with us until 2014.

You could.

Unless you were there watching it week in week out.

It was painful. Like wanking with a sandpaper glove-type painful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

£45m on 19 players in 2 seasons and kept us up twice. I'd argue that was a decent job given the circumstances.

We had been an ever present in the premier league and in recent years had one poor season with Mcleish. I don't think keeping us up was some sort of achievement, especially when it was clear he was taking us down before being sacked.

No question for me, that Lambert embedded the losing culture that took so long to turn round. The long term damage he did to us was huge. He was an utter failure and whilst admittedly, working under a terrible owner, he just broke us. 

Hate the bloke. He destroyed not only my enjoyment of supporting villa but my enjoyment of football in general. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We had been an ever present in the premier league and in recent years had one poor season with Mcleish. I don't think keeping us up was some sort of achievement, especially when it was clear he was taking us down before being sacked.

No question for me, that Lambert embedded the losing culture that took so long to turn round. The long term damage he did to us was huge. He was an utter failure and whilst admittedly, working under a terrible owner, he just broke us. 

Hate the bloke. He destroyed not only my enjoyment of supporting villa but my enjoyment of football in general. 

He kept us up twice before getting sacked in the third season. We were ever present but completely stripped the team that was finishing 6th who were eventually replaced with Championship and League One players. This all came from the top, and started in the McLeish season.

Net spend is typically a fairly reliable metric of measuring a manager's performance. A net spend of roughly £2m per player was a Championship budget, if that. To rebuild a squad with that budget and keep that squad in the league 2 seasons in a row is doing a decent job imo. Not too dissimilar to the job Deano did last season to be honest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

You could.

Unless you were there watching it week in week out.

It was painful. Like wanking with a sandpaper glove-type painful.

It really wasn't. Things only became really consistently awful in 2014.

• Like 1

Â