Paul Lambert

limpid

On 12/06/2020 at 12:57, rodders0223 said:

Turnover 10th highest in League £116m, down from £117m in 2014

Income Gate and match-day income £14m; TV and broadcasting £71m; Commercial £19m; Sponsorship £11m

Wage bill 7th highest in League £84m, up from £69m in 2014

Wages as proportion of turnover 72%

Loss before tax -£28m, following £4m loss in 2014

Net debt £31m

Interest payable £1m

Highest-paid director Unnamed, £1.256m

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

7th highest wage bill. What a guy. What a job he did. 

Maybe use the squad that was in place or the youth instead of buying a 2 dozen bargain bin players in 3 years?

That decision was obviously above him.

Alan Hutton confirmed this recently. He said that's why he ultimately had no hard feelings towards the situation. McLeish and Lambert get a pass for me. Awful awful football (which probably wouldn't have changed even with a bigger budget), but their hands were tied and they somehow kept us up 3 out of 4 seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Undr the Cosh podcast exclusive.

Lambert once told Chris Brown at Blackburn that Grealish was absolute shite.

Bought Tonev this **** word removed.

Maybe it's just me but I don't believe that quote.

Not sure why this thread is currently alive and kicking but I will say this about Lambert. 

I remember vividly sending out an e-mail to all the Villa fans I know (plus some other poor sods) after another poor defeat which had triggered ANOTHER all time club negative record.  The e-mail basically listed every all time negative record which we had smashed under his leadership. 

I know he was dealt a bit of a shitty hand, and Lerner had lost interest but we lost something like 20 all time negative records.  A whole ton of them. 

He still had a squad who shouldn't have been the worst ever in our entire history in so many areas.   I wish I could find it again and list them.  A lot are probably written down in this very thread. 

How anyone can defend him is beyond me. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not sure why this thread is currently alive and kicking but I will say this about Lambert. 

I remember vividly sending out an e-mail to all the Villa fans I know (plus some other poor sods) after another poor defeat which had triggered ANOTHER all time club negative record.  The e-mail basically listed every all time negative record which we had smashed under his leadership. 

I know he was dealt a bit of a shitty hand, and Lerner had lost interest but we lost something like 20 all time negative records.  A whole ton of them. 

He still had a squad who shouldn't have been the worst ever in our entire history in so many areas.   I wish I could find it again and list them.  A lot are probably written down in this very thread. 

How anyone can defend him is beyond me. 

Not sure about that:

Chelsea FC v Aston Villa - Team News, Tactics, Line-up & Prediction

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

That picture looks like a non league side going to a premier league side in the FA Cup third round.

So unbelievably mismatched.

Would you put it past Chelsea to put 8 past a non-league side? It's easy to go on about bad records broken without any context. Looking at that side, I'm amazed we actually managed to stay up that season. With more than 40 points too!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lambert for me was better than sherwood and garde. His first season with us was pretty good then it went down hill.

The 1st season we were embarrassed by Bradford over 2 legs and shipped 15 goals at Christmas over 3 games

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

The 1st season we were embarrassed by Bradford over 2 legs and shipped 15 goals at Christmas over 3 games

The mumbling cocksnot should have been shitcanned at that point.

Total fraud, no idea how he keeps getting employed

• Like 3

Said this many times, but he made me hate my own team. 

That last season, before he got sacked, the 'possession'  football was abominable. Felt like we went weeks between creating chances. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Said this many times, but he made me hate my own team. 

I'm kind of split on him, really. I think he had an awful hand dealt to him, and it completely ground him down. Like @Demitri_Csays, when he first came, we started playing attacking, passing, attractive football again, after the McLeish dour stuff - all the "we're Aston Villa, we're passing the ball" chanting was spot on. But the pressure to cut costs, bin the better players just killed him and killed the club.

But the end result was, as you say, to make us detest our own club I can remember in Jan '14 briefly being back in the UK and going to the home FA cup game against Sheff. Utd (of the third tier, then) and being beaten by them. We were abjectly bad, and did the Bradford thing again - just lumping it - playing right into their hands. I just thought "I'd rather be back at work, than here". Happily I soon was.

I wish him well, but am so glad that period for the club is over.

• Like 2

There was a spell of a few seasons under multiple managers when it seemed that every time we played a lower league opponent, we lost. The semi final over 2 legs is by far the most humiliating of the lot, but it was pretty routine at the time. 

I went back and checked. Lambert's first season, we went out of the FA Cup to Millwall, and the aforementioned League Cup humiliation to Bradford. Second season Sheffield United dumped us out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round though we did beat Rotherham in the League Cup. The next season we had the FA Cup run to that dismal final against Arsenal, yet Leyton Orient kicked us out at home in the 2nd round of the League Cup.

Â