Paul Lambert

limpid

The pro Lambert brigade are out in force tonight. He must have been on a leafleting run.

You make it sound like supporting the manager is an odious crime.

Just an observation, I'm neither 'pro-Lambert' nor 'anti-Lambert'.

• Like 3

Nobody asked him to buy 16 players. We didn't need 16 players. 6 or 7 decent players would have been far more use.

He needed too. If PL were to do as you believe the squad would be around 12 to 14 players, we would be screwed when injuries and suspensions hit.
We have players in the reserves that could probably do a better job than some of the dross he has bought.

Ah the old "playing in a good reserve team must be the next Messi argument". Well played sir, well played.

I think he has pulled together a mediocre prem team on a serious budget.

Also I keep seeing Kozak mentioned as a waste, didn't he win us some games earlier in the season?

Is this really worse than our current "playing good(ish) in league 1&2 teams must be the next Messi approach"?

• Like 1

Nobody asked him to buy 16 players. We didn't need 16 players. 6 or 7 decent players would have been far more use.

He needed too. If PL were to do as you believe the squad would be around 12 to 14 players, we would be screwed when injuries and suspensions hit.
We have players in the reserves that could probably do a better job than some of the dross he has bought.
Ah the old "playing in a good reserve team must be the next Messi argument". Well played sir, well played.

Also I keep seeing Kozak mentioned as a waste, didn't he win us some games earlier in the season?

Is this really worse than our current "playing good(ish) in league 1&2 teams must be the next Messi approach"?

Your expectations are too high, it was find prem quality players for little money, he has to a point achieved this.

He blatently does not know his best formation.

We don't have one. Young players are incredibly inconsistent so the "best" team this week could be a completely different one next week unfortunately. That's a big part ofthe problem

You are being unreasonable expecting all Lambert's signings to be successes, especially instantly.

ALL? All but two have been absolutely dreadful.

Which is why I said his football is awful. His results are below average which is better than awful.

Awful? I give up, I really do.

I think calling it awful is being kind.  It's the worst I've seen a Villa side consistently play since Billy McNeill.

Your expectations are too high, it was find prem quality players for little money, he has to a point achieved this.

And  likewise is no one expecting our reserves to be the next Messi, but they might turn out to be prem quality for even less money

He's still done a good job. Comparing him to other Villa managers is meaningless, because they all came into better situations. The lack of money and the awful squad he inherited is why villa aren't better now. No, his tactics aren't perfect and some of the transfers have been poor, but every manager messes lots of transfers up. Like Brendan Rodgers, Roberto Martinez and Pochettino. With the budget he's had, to have Villa where they are, is better than most would've done.

We're in the top half of the league for transfer expenditure in the last two seasons.

Transfer expenditure that was spent on 16 players, not on 5 or 6. But 16 which works out to about 2.7million per player.

Nobody asked him to buy 16 players. 

Apart from his boss.

So you reckon his boss said "Paul, I want you to buy 16 players"

Yea right!

The quotes have been repeated over and over in this thread. He HAD to rebuild the squad. Was part of his remit. I'm not even defending his performance as a manager; just this point.

I think 'his boss' would have preferred that rather than spunk the money on 16 players from league 1, and europes second leagues he maybe mixed things up andalso bought fewer players of better quality and then tried some of our own young players, who probably wouldn't have done worse than Luna, Tonev, KEA etc etc.

For the record i think he's made the following decent signings :

Vlaar

Benteke

Okore (probably)

Lowton (2012 - 2013 version)

Maybe also add Westwood to that list, but i'm undecided about him. I don't count Guzan as one of his signings.

so he's signed 15 players and 4 or 5 of them are decent.

His record of signing players really isn't that good IMO.

He blatently does not know his best formation.

We don't have one. Young players are incredibly inconsistent so the "best" team this week could be a completely different one next week unfortunately. That's a big part ofthe problem

Lambert didn't play with a "best formation" or a set first 11 at Norwich either. 

He has always rotated a lot and changed formation from match to match depending on the opponent. 

1st half tonight was unimpressive, but we managed to pull it together and apply some great pressure in the 2nd. Would have won it, were it not for some great defending. I've been saying this all season, but if we can play like that for 90 minutes...

Â