Paul Lambert

limpid

Don't know how you can call yesterday a "7/10 performance". It was a lot better than that.

I think he meant if we performed in 7 out of 10 matches in that way then...

Correct. I'd rate the performance yesterday 8.5/10, much much better.

The problem is, I'd rate the previous 10 games at an average of 3/10, which is where the problems lie. Our style of play has been appalling this season and has turned me and a lot of other Villa fans off going to VP. I haven't been since the Newcastle game in September because it's been a torture to watch us most of the time.

Edited by villarule123

Im waiting for the Baggies result until I give him credit for liverplop. Should easily beat them playing like that. But im sure we will struggle at home and everyone will be calling for his head again. Very black and white on here after games?

I think there's a certain kind of fan more susceptible to this.

I had a wobble after the Palace game, bit reactionary but completely understandable. Other than that I'm generally "on the fence". I'd imagine there are better managers out there for us and I'm even more sure there are worse. The more pertinent question is could we attract those managers? My gut says no and I've honestly no clue who they are and I certainly don't expect the board to either.

Things have been shit but now they're better. I hope they don't go shit again because yesterday was entertaining.

• Like 1

I had a wobble after the Palace game, bit reactionary but completely understandable. Other than that I'm generally "on the fence". I'd imagine there are better managers out there for us and I'm even more sure there are worse. The more pertinent question is could we attract those managers? My gut says no and I've honestly no clue who they are and I certainly don't expect the board to either.

Things have been shit but now they're better. I hope they don't go shit again because yesterday was entertaining.

My thoughts entirely.

My thoughts entirely.

Me too, and although I do not think they've done well in general I do tip my hat (to a degree) to Faulkner and the board in regards to Lambert's contract situation as things stand.

Come the end of the season, if we are in a similar position to the one we are in now and performances excel, we can offer Lambert a new deal knowing that so far he has done his job well. I'd imagine he'd sign a new deal as I'm pretty sure he wants to stay here for a while.

If we are towards the bottom though and have a bad second half this season, the board will be able to sack Lambert if they want to, who will only have a year left on his contract and in turn won't cost a bomb to get rid of.

I think that this season will end up a lot like last season. Shaky during the first half. Horrible over the holidays. Great during the run in.

Why? I don't know but I imagine it will turn out a lot like that

I don't want to sound like a stuck record here but his remit has been to run the playing side on a shoestring to enable the owner to claw as much money back as possible before eventually selling up.

We're playing the numbers game with transfers & some haven't made it whereas others have.

Most on here have said that if the front 3 hit form, we'd start moving again & that is what happened last night.

I'm not overly concerned about this window but the summer is crucial for me. We've got to somehow up the ante a little in terms of experience-The young hopefuls signed previously will then have to sink or swim.

I think that this season will end up a lot like last season. Shaky during the first half. Horrible over the holidays. Great during the run in.

Why? I don't know but I imagine it will turn out a lot like that

I hope so, I think the highest we can finish is 9th and that will depend on us doing well and Southampton slipping up a few more times. More than anything I just want us to solidify a position away from the drop zone.

My thoughts entirely.

Me too, and although I do not think they've done well in general I do tip my hat (to a degree) to Faulkner and the board in regards to Lambert's contract situation as things stand.

Come the end of the season, if we are in a similar position to the one we are in now and performances excel, we can offer Lambert a new deal knowing that so far he has done his job well. I'd imagine he'd sign a new deal as I'm pretty sure he wants to stay here for a while.

If we are towards the bottom though and have a bad second half this season, the board will be able to sack Lambert if they want to, who will only have a year left on his contract and in turn won't cost a bomb to get rid of.

This here too. They've played a blinder there to be honest, two years in and see how things are shaping up. If we do finish comfortably mid table on the budget he's had he'll have earned something long term. I don't see how that's debateable.

An unashamedly totally rose coloured post, because life feels so much nicer this way, and this weekend, for just a few hours, everyone can remember how it feels to be happy !

Well quite a few have said the players dont have the ability - we have beaten Man City and Arsenal and run Liverpool close - so presumably that answers that.

Linked to that are those who reckon his transfers haven't been so good.  See above. :)

Quite a few have said he cant sort tthe defence - our defence is up in the top half, and in the top 3 or 4 away from home - despite Okore being missing and Vlaar injured a lot - so presumably that answers that.

Quite a few have said he is tactically inept - yet Suarez is by no means the only top player he has kept quiet.and away from home we are, over 15 months now, with a couple of exceptions before Christmas, only getting beaten by the Top 4 - so that answers that. :)  :)

A few weeks ago a few were suggesting he had lost the plot and the dressing room - do those people think we could have played that way at the weekend if either of those things were the case ?  So that answers that.

Quite a few have said we cant pass the ball.  See Saturdays game.  So that answers that. :)  :)

Not even going to bother with people who say it is luck - luck gets nobody anywhere in this League.

And we are top half.

To add to all the above an even larger number would agree we have rarely actually played as well as we could, and an even larger number have seen that CB has been out of form. 

Yet we are top half.

As such, it follows that by definition if we can improve our overall perfromances and CB can start scoring we will go higher still.

And all that is with a young side and a low wage bill.

All in all that dont seem that bad to me !

Yes results at home are poor.  Yes there have been a fair number of uninspring perfromances in terms of excitement, and yes, even as a staunch PL fan I will admit the change in tactics away from a pressing game to sitting back - especially at home - has seemed odd.

Yes we would all hope RL renews an interest and becomes sufficiently confident in PL that we can shop in, if not Harrods, then at least Tesco rather than Aldi.

But even the doubters, even those who still are appaled by the Bradford game, by the other stuff, can, if they want, permit themselves the warm glow that comes wit hthinking such a positive spin may after all by borne out by the next few months, and after that too.

You never know, we might just be getting it right ? :)

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

When everyone is fit we can field a decent team. The problem is the squad is so poor that a few injuries to key players and we become a very poor team regardless of what tactics are used.

Is this Lamberts fault?

An unashamedly totally rose coloured post, because life feels so much nicer this way, and this weekend, for just a few hours, everyone can remember how it feels to be happy !

Well quite a few have said the players dont have the ability - we have beaten Man City and Arsenal and run Liverpool close - so presumably that answers that.

Linked to that are those who reckon his transfers haven't been so good.  See above. :)

Quite a few have said he cant sort tthe defence - our defence is up in the top half, and in the top 3 or 4 away from home - despite Okore being missing and Vlaar injured a lot - so presumably that answers that.

Quite a few have said he is tactically inept - yet Suarez is by no means the only top player he has kept quiet.and away from home we are, over 15 months now, with a couple of exceptions before Christmas, only getting beaten by the Top 4 - so that answers that. :)  :)

A few weeks ago a few were suggesting he had lost the plot and the dressing room - do those people think we could have played that way at the weekend if either of those things were the case ?  So that answers that.

Quite a few have said we cant pass the ball.  See Saturdays game.  So that answers that. :)  :)

Not even going to bother with people who say it is luck - luck gets nobody anywhere in this League.

And we are top half.

To add to all the above an even larger number would agree we have rarely actually played as well as we could, and an even larger number have seen that CB has been out of form. 

Yet we are top half.

As such, it follows that by definition if we can improve our overall perfromances and CB can start scoring we will go higher still.

Yes results at home are poor.  Yes there have been a fair number of uninspring perfromances in terms of excitement, and yes, even as a staunch PL fan I will admit the change in tactics away from a pressing game to sitting back - especially at home - has seemed odd.

Yes we would all hope RL renews an interest and becomes sufficiently confident in PL that we can shop in, if not Harrods, then at least Tesco rather than Aldi.

But even the doubters, even those who still are appaled by the Bradford game, by the other stuff, can, if they want, permit themselves the warm glow that comes wit hthinking such a positive spin may after all by borne out by the next few months, and after that too.

You never know, we might just be getting it right ?

Im all for being positive, but its one game. Remember we lost to Sheffield the other week. have you forgotten. It amazes me that after 1 game all the dire football, useless home form and inconsistances disappear. Lets wait till after the Baggies game to hail the mighty Lambert!!!

He's got my backing for now.

If Lerner gives him money in the summer then I will properly judge him next season when you would simply have to expect better results/performances.

Until Lerner gives him reasonable resources to compete for Europe I don't feel I can 100% say Lambert is a shit manager.He's doing ok in a role that many other managers would fail at and only a few would do better at.

I find the above comment very interesting from the point of view of what you would deem as failure? Is it being relegated or the threat of relegation, or achieving consistently poor results?

Lambert has already achieved two of those so I find it strange that you would think that very few other managers would also be able to reduce the wage bill while bringing new players in and actually improve upon Lambert's present record which is nothing to write home about.

I expected a premier league finish of 12th to 14th this season. At the moment he is on his way to achieving that. Failure in my eyes this season is another relegation battle. We ain't in one. Yet.

Thanks for replying and yeah that's more than fair.

The reason we need to stick with each other is:

a) Lambert would not get a better club/job

B) we might not get a better manager.

match made

I don't believe he doesn't know what he is doing, however he's not great at communicating that he does.

Its still very far from right, but who wants to go back 18 months to start all over again.....He knows the place warts and all.

one game does not fix all ills , but it does illustrate when we apply ourselves, we can be very much better than at other times.

against Liverpool they looked like a team ...hunting in packs as opposed to individuals looking lost.

I am not sure in some games when i have heard " i can't fault the effort", I think i can, particularly off the ball.....That game at Liverpool was a " can't fault the effort " game and the off the ball work was very encouraging.

The fact that we are in the top half of the league after 21 games given the horrendous run of injuries we have had is nothing short of a miracle.  I believe we are fortunate to have this man in charge of our club, (McLeish, O'Leary anyone?), and we all need to get right behind him.  I have no doubt that under Lambert we are improving, albeit at a steady pace, and improvement is difficult to achieve when you are under such tight financial restraints.  How anyone could realistically question his worthiness for the job is beyond me and I seriously cannot think of any other attainable manager that could do any better with what he has to work with.  Yes we have been inconsistent and the defeats to Palace and Stoke recently were hard to take but the wins against City and Arsenal as well as yesterdays performance show me quite clearly that we are on the right track. When you have to totally rebuild a football club, which is basically what Lambert has had to do, you cannot expect a seemless transition with consistent performances.  Next season when Okore is partnered with Vlaar and we have another season of experience under our belts we will improve yet further. Of this I have absolutely no doubt.  

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

The reason we need to stick with each other is:

a) Lambert would not get a better club/job

B) we might not get a better manager.

match made

I don't believe he doesn't know what he is doing, however he's not great at communicating that he does.

Its still very far from right, but who wants to go back 18 months to start all over again.....He knows the place warts and all.

one game does not fix all ills , but it does illustrate when we apply ourselves, we can be very much better than at other times.

against Liverpool they looked like a team ...hunting in packs as opposed to individuals looking lost.

I am not sure in some games when i have heard " i can't fault the effort", I think i can, particularly off the ball.....That game at Liverpool was a " can't fault the effort " game and the off the ball work was very encouraging.

Now that I would agree with and as a big fan of his  I would say it would be my biggest gripe.

Someone else also said it was only one game - but there have been a fair few others.  While I agree the more pessimistic may say they haven't been followed up for those  - looking hard enough ? !!? - there are other games.....

The movement of the front 3 off the ball is especially important and for whatever reason it has gone missing - it was there last year a fair few games and at the start of this year - could it be so simple as Bentekes fitness - wouldn't make much sense yet what else is there ?  General confidence ?  In which case why has it suddenly come back ?  There were a lot of ex-pros saying how much good that second half  - and getting clapped off - would do us - perhaps it has ?

And we are top half.

Yet we are top half.

You never know, we might just be getting it right ?

Im all for being positive, but its one game. Remember we lost to Sheffield the other week. have you forgotten. It amazes me that after 1 game all the dire football, useless home form and inconsistances disappear. Lets wait till after the Baggies game to hail the mighty Lambert!!!

Most of my Post is not about one game, and whereit is - e.g. players abilities questioned - I think one game IS enough - although in my opinion there have been others when I have seen they have ability.

we all know how to assess/appraise a game....

what none of us really know is how long it takes to sort the problems we have had with limited resources to do it.

we all know these jobs take time, what we don't know is the magnitude of the problem and how long it reasonably takes to fix it

no one has been more frustrated than me at times....looking at the roof in the trinity in disgust.

but i will admit I was expecting the improvement to be at a faster pace....I guess i just don't understand how difficult this is.

Â