Paul Lambert

limpid

Im waiting for the Baggies result until I give him credit for liverplop. Should easily beat them playing like that. But im sure we will struggle at home and everyone will be calling for his head again. Very black and white on here after games?

Well if we suddenly play like we did against Sheffield united again after such a good performance in our previous game questions need to be asked

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Other than being too reactionary after the Palace game (which I rescinded a few days later) I've never thought he should be sacked. He's made mistakes, but I think I understand the true problems in the club. You can't expect to build a premier league team with players who average £2 million and less than £20k a week. You're going to sign some ok players and some shockers, we know who these are. When he's spent some money on Benteke and Okore they've looked genuine quality, also Bertrand also looks decent. Give him £20 million to sign 3 quality players in the summer I think he would.

You're only really good enough in football when you have the players to work with.

For me I fully understand the constraints he's worked under and I will always blame Lerner over Lambert. But while understanding that the performances this year have been awful and apart from a couple of players none of them have seemed to kick on from last year. I also think he's spent his limited budget badly in the summer and left us with issues we're trying to plug with loan signings now.

We keep seeing the odd glimpses of what we can do but I'm yet to.be convinced Lambert is the manager others believe him to be.

• Like 2

Im waiting for the Baggies result until I give him credit for liverplop. Should easily beat them playing like that. But im sure we will struggle at home and everyone will be calling for his head again. Very black and white on here after games?

Well if we suddenly play like we did against Sheffield united again after such a good performance in our previous game questions need to be asked

This 100%.

He is running out of chances for me, needs to stay consistant. fed up of seeing  quality and then failing to compete against teams lower in the league!

We should all be expecting a big performance against the Boggies at home or not!!!

Edited by foreveryoung

He's got my backing for now.

If Lerner gives him money in the summer then I will properly judge him next season when you would simply have to expect better results/performances.

Until Lerner gives him reasonable resources to compete for Europe I don't feel I can 100% say Lambert is a shit manager.

He's doing ok in a role that many other managers would fail at and only a few would do better at.

I find the above comment very interesting from the point of view of what you would deem as failure? Is it being relegated or the threat of relegation, or achieving consistently poor results?

Lambert has already achieved two of those so I find it strange that you would think that very few other managers would also be able to reduce the wage bill while bringing new players in and actually improve upon Lambert's present record which is nothing to write home about.

I expected a premier league finish of 12th to 14th this season. At the moment he is on his way to achieving that. Failure in my eyes this season is another relegation battle. We ain't in one. Yet.

But I would say to consistently get possession stats of less than 30% is shocking. I'm not stat obsessed, but this needs to be sorted out.

Think I saw a table on here earlier (can't remember which thread) that showed we haven't averages over 50% possession in the last 5 or 6 seasons. So I wouldn't say it is a Lambert issue. Definitely something that he needs to work on though and hopefully the signing of an AM and a better DM can contribute to this.

He seems to have sorted out the defence, and that's really the difference between last season and this.

As we showed against Liverpool, we can be good in attack, but (probably like most of us) I just praaay there are funds available for a quality midfielder in this window. With Lambert's record on signings he should be able to find someone for 6 or 7 million who would make a huge difference for the rest of this season and the future.

• Like 1

He seems to have sorted out the defence, and that's really the difference between last season and this.

As we showed against Liverpool, we can be good in attack, but (probably like most of us) I just praaay there are funds available for a quality midfielder in this window. With Lambert's record on signings he should be able to find someone for 6 or 7 million who would make a huge difference for the rest of this season and the future.

If those funds aren't available you'd have to seriously question why. The worry is Lambert's already admitted he's been unable to bring in some 'number 10' types he's identified.

This 100%.

He is running out of chances for me, needs to stay consistant. fed up of seeing  quality and then failing to compete against teams lower in the league!

We should all be expecting a big performance against the Boggies at home or not!!!

We have a young team who are always going to struggle for consistency so by judging the team from one game to the next is not only just plain wrong and very short sighted it is likely to end up with you just being frustrated and throwing tantrums whilst sitting on the floor in the middle of your bedroom.

Sit back, accept it is a young team and understand that the more the team evolves the more frequent the good performances will come.

If next season we have not made progress in terms of performances and additions into the team then you can ask questions. To do that now when everyone knows that Lambert isn't going to be sacked come whatever is totally and utterly pointless and means we have one less Villa supporter which is what we need right now.

Edited by AstonMartin82
  • Like 2

This 100%.

The thing is the quality-then-crap affair isn't entirely his fault. We've got a young and inexperienced team so they're bound to blow hot and cold a lot of the time. You see him bellowing and gesticulating like a mad man at the players because a lot of the time they're just lost and confused little lambs (and granted it is partly his fault for building a team of babies, but then budget constraints etc).

FWIW I think we'll do well against WBA. I genuinely think the Bertrand signing is a lot bigger than people think. We just have so much more balance on the pitch (if Plop is anything to go on).

This 100%.

We have a young team who are always going to struggle for consistency so by judging the team from one game to the next is not only just plain wrong and very short sighted it is likely to end up with you just being frustrated and throwing tantrums whilst sitting on the floor in the middle of your bedroom.

Sit back, accept it is a young team and understand that the more the team evolves the more frequent the good performances will come.

If next season we have not made progress in terms of performances and additions into the team then you can ask questions. To do that now when everyone knows that Lambert isn't going to be sacked come whatever is totally and utterly pointless and means we have one less Villa supporter which is what we need right now.

This is all very sensible and I take your points. But its a difficult way to support your football team, to see a fantastic performance and then accept something completely inept. Im sure I wont be the only one who will be pretty pissed at a loss to the Baggies............

I think the young squad so there will be up and downs is a bit of an excuse. We haven't really had up and down performances. We've had shocking performances and managing to get results when not playing all that well. A lot of the time its because the squad aren't good enough and we've rarely attempted to play the way we have yesterday.

The first half yesterday was better than anything I've seen from us in a long long time and it was against good opposition. But we've still averaged less than 1 point a game over our last 10 games. We've been in very poor form but hopefully this is now a point we can kick on from.

• Like 1

I've always said he should stay until the end of the season, and if things don't improve on the pitch, he should go. I would change the manager as things stand as I haven't seen a consistent improvement, yesterday was the first time in months we have played football to a decent standard. We are capable, and if we get 7/10 performances like yesterday then I will happily give him another chance next season. 

Stop with the hoofball, and you'll have all the fans backing Paul.

This is all very sensible and I take your points. But its a difficult way to support your football team, to see a fantastic performance and then accept something completely inept. Im sure I wont be the only one who will be pretty pissed at a loss to the Baggies............

I think everyone is frustrated, a little angry and annoyed about the last couple of months. The stanchest Lambert supporter could not defend the performances and results that we have seen, however there have been glimpses in the past that this team is very capable. The biggest glimpse came yesterday and now it's up to Lambert to make this more consistent and less patchy.

With some additions, coaching and experience there is no reason to think that next season we shouldn't be pushing for 6th - 8th position which would be a very big step forward - and due. If we go against the team, or change the manager, then next season there is much less chance of us achieving progress of any sort and will give the club a bad name (constantly changing managers - which half decent player would want to join a club like that?).

There is no rush to judge Lambert or the team in my opinion. This season is about stability around the club. Next season is about pushing on.

Up the Villa, mate.

Edited by AstonMartin82

Those players yesterday showed they have got what it takes. The problem we have had this season is that we've had to use a lot of the squad due to injuries and a lot of them simply are not good enough. Lambert hasn't helped himself with signing some of these players.

In terms of tactics Lambert has been found wanting at home, and some of the results have been shocking (some good away from home though). If we can get a decent midfielder and start putting a few run of results together at home I'll be more than content.

The Albion game is still key though.

Â