Paul Lambert

limpid

IIRC the Mail article showed he was better than Houllier, McLeish and O'Leary. Hardly shout it form the rooftops stuff. And his home form may not even measure against those three.

Think what Zhan was getting at is that he has done this whilst rebuilding the squad and cutting back the wages. 

• Like 1

IIRC the Mail article showed he was better than Houllier, McLeish and O'Leary. Hardly shout it form the rooftops stuff. And his home form may not even measure against those three.

He's not had the budget or players at his disposal though by comparison has he? Established international players like Mellberg among others were already at the club...

Well yeah, but (just to make sure this horse we're flogging is truly dead) he's had pennies to spend on transfers and has had to reduce the wage bill. Nobody's really saying the results or the football are setting the world on fire.

It's crazy how reactionary the fan base can be depending on what the last result was.

Like this was invented by Villa fans since internet forums came about!

It's always been the way and always will be. Get used to it,

• Like 1

It might sound like a lot but if Lerner could just stump up £30m in the summer that should be enough for Lambert to make us into a really decent unit. Could try to get Bertrand for say £6m, another right-sided centre back for around £6m and then spend the remaining £18m on the attacking and defensive midfielders that we so desperately need.

Those 4 signings, added to what we already have, would see us back amongst the top 7 or 8 next season.

• Like 1

It might sound like a lot but if Lerner could just stump up £30m in the summer that should be enough for Lambert to make us into a really decent unit. Could try to get Bertrand for say £6m, another right-sided centre back for around £6m and then spend the remaining £18m on the attacking and defensive midfielders that we so desperately need.

Those 4 signings, added to what we already have, would see us back amongst the top 7 or 8 next season.

That would be a dream however the only way we would see that level of investment is if we sell Benteke in the summer imo

never once said he should get the sack, although at times ive come close. but one good game in how long does not make everything better. yes he needs more time and more performances like yesterday. but its no good having one good game every now and again. in his defence he inherited a load of shit and hes had little money. still have confidence in him but my gut feeling is that this season like last season will be painful for most of the part. I do believe their will be a slight improvement on last seasons position. then after that it all boils down to what funds will be made available.

I'm one for Lambert, think he hasn't done a bad job considering the budget he's been given.

Yes it's been a depressing watch but no worse than the Mcleish era. If we finish 10th I'll be happy. Anything above 12th is good progress imo.

In my opinion Lambert has done a good enough job so far. I think we will be safe but unspectacular this year meaning the club's wild (unsustainable) spending will have been halted whilst our league position will have gradually improved. He has built an premier league squad for 40m and we are by no means at all one of the three worst teams in the league. Presuming he gets the same budget of 20m this summer the funds wont have to be spread so thin, I dont think were a million miles off challenging the top 8 at all, but also that next season is what we should judge Lambert on. I think a lot of fans underestimate just how deep the rot was at this club, it wont be fixed overnight but we are starting to get there.

He's got my backing for now.

If Lerner gives him money in the summer then I will properly judge him next season when you would simply have to expect better results/performances.

Until Lerner gives him reasonable resources to compete for Europe I don't feel I can 100% say Lambert is a shit manager.

He's doing ok in a role that many other managers would fail at and only a few would do better at.

I find the above comment very interesting from the point of view of what you would deem as failure? Is it being relegated or the threat of relegation, or achieving consistently poor results?

Lambert has already achieved two of those so I find it strange that you would think that very few other managers would also be able to reduce the wage bill while bringing new players in and actually improve upon Lambert's present record which is nothing to write home about.

Other than being too reactionary after the Palace game (which I rescinded a few days later) I've never thought he should be sacked. He's made mistakes, but I think I understand the true problems in the club. You can't expect to build a premier league team with players who average £2 million and less than £20k a week. You're going to sign some ok players and some shockers, we know who these are. When he's spent some money on Benteke and Okore they've looked genuine quality, also Bertrand also looks decent. Give him £20 million to sign 3 quality players in the summer I think he would.

You're only really good enough in football when you have the players to work with.

• Like 1

Im waiting for the Baggies result until I give him credit for liverplop. Should easily beat them playing like that. But im sure we will struggle at home and everyone will be calling for his head again. Very black and white on here after games?

Â