Paul Lambert

limpid

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Nah he wouldn't to be fair. I don't think they will go down though.

They really needed a win today. Their goal difference is horrendous for a start.

11 games left and they still have Spurs (H), Man. City (H), Arsenal (A), Liverpool (A).

If as expected they don't win any of those (although Lambert does have an amazing record at Anfield) they'll have to win 4 of their other 7 fixtures to have a chance imo as you'll need 38 or 39 points to stay up way it's shaping up.

Big problem for Stoke is Swansea have blown everyone out of the water with their run. They were as good as down at xmas. 

Stoke's last 11:

Leicester (a)- LOSS. Vardy and mahrez (if he's mentally right) will murder their defence.

Southampton (a)- Draw. Might nick a point.

Man. City (h)- LOSS. Next....

Everton (H)_ Win...Everton just playing out the season now.

Arsenal (A)- LOSS. Stoke lost every single game at the Emirates since promotion.

Spurs (H)- LOSS. Spurs won 4-0 on their last two visits.

West Ham (A) LOSS. Aranutovic hat-trick.

Burnley (H)- Win. Burnley hit 40 points and go to the beach.

Liverpool (A)- Draw. Will be generous and give them a point here. Lambert is unbeaten as a manager at Anfield in 5 visits which is a mad one. Surprised Zat hates him so much with a record like that. ;)

Palace (H)- Draw. Point keeps Palace in the league.

Swansea (A)- Loss. Swansea will probably still need something to keep them up.

Got them finishing on 34 points. Even 37 probably won't be enough with their goal difference. Gives you the scale of the task.

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Shit didn't realise they had such a tough run.

Team with 11 games left playing some of the top 6 in the run in shocker!

There's some winnable games there but Stoke really have a lot to do. They've also started drawing winnable games at home due to the Lambert inability to break down teams who put men behind the ball.

I think with Stoke they've just stagnated at premier level. Their squad isn't actually that bad but they've just lost the spark which happens to clubs who stay up for a few years and get complacent.

I don't mind them that much as went to Uni up there when their resurgence started (07-10) and when the Brit was at it's hostile best which was an experience. It's also a very easy away game to get to.

Edited by VillaChris

• 8 months later...

Linked with the Ipswich job, lucky them :D

Paul Hurst sacked: Ipswich Town considering former Norwich boss Paul Lambert as new manager

Hurst took over in the summer but has struggled to get this Suffolk side going

Ipswich Town have sacked Paul Hurst as their manager after a terrible start to the season that has seen them marooned at the bottom of the table with just one win from 14 Championship games, and are considering Paul Lambert - formerly coach of arch rivals Norwich - as their next manager. 

Hurst made his name getting Shrewsbury promoted from League Two on a tiny budget having saved them from relegation the previous year but since stepping up to the second tier, Hurst has struggled to get his team scoring and their wretched form has cost him his job. 

Assistant manager Chris Doig, fitness coach Nathan Winder and head of medical services, Chris Skitt, have also left the club.

Lambert is vastly experienced at Championship level, where he impressed with both Colchester and the Canaries, and is seen as a safe pair of hands by the club's hierarchy - though no official offer has been made to the Scot yet by Town owner Marcus Evans.

“I have decided that it is in the best interests of the Football Club that we appoint a new manager to take us forward,” Evans told the club website.

“I would like to thank Paul and Chris for their efforts and we wish them well for the future but after 14 matches we find ourselves bottom of the Championship and with only one win this season.

“Paul’s arrival here in the summer was welcomed by us all and we worked tirelessly to support him fully with his plans for player recruitment, training methodology and backroom staff. But unfortunately those plans haven’t turned into positive results, which is why I have had to take this decision today.

“The core of our club remains strong and it is that which has helped us create a highly competitive team in the Championship over the last five or six years.

Paul Lambert was last in a job with Stoke as they were relegated from the top flight (Getty )

“This group of experienced players along with the additions we made to the squad this summer of younger developing talent, plus the ongoing progression of players from our Academy means the new manager will have a solid group to work with and build for the future.

“I am determined that we develop a team to play attractive and exciting football.

“We have a stable and talented coaching team in place at Ipswich and Bryan Klug will step up and take temporary charge of the first-team for Saturday’s trip to Millwall.

“I am actively looking to appoint a new manager as soon as possible with experience, who will embrace the long term vision we all have for the Club and who can deliver the success that every Ipswich Town supporter craves.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/paul-hurst-sacked-next-ipswich-town-manager-paul-lambert-a8601496.html

If not Lambert then I hear Bruce is out of a job.

3 hours ago, sne said:

Linked with the Ipswich job, lucky them :D

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/paul-hurst-sacked-next-ipswich-town-manager-paul-lambert-a8601496.html

If not Lambert then I hear Bruce is out of a job.

apparently Bruce and Sherwood are both top contenders for the job as well ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mick McCarthy is somewhere laughing his arse off as Ipswich fans wanted him out. Thought they were a play-off squad ?

I don't know how they could possibly have thought that based on their spending in the last few years. Big Mick worked a miracle over there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Mick McCarthy is somewhere laughing his arse off as Ipswich fans wanted him out. Thought they were a play-off squad ?

GranularCautiousAcornbarnacle-small.gif

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45984873

Championship club Ipswich Town have appointed former Norwich and Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert as manager.

Lambert, 49, succeeds Paul Hurst, who was sacked on Thursday, and has joined with Ipswich bottom of the table with only one league win this season.

The ex-Scotland international left his role as Stoke boss in May after their relegation from the Premier League.

Lambert will watch his new side from the stands at Millwall on Saturday as Bryan Klug takes caretaker charge.

More to follow.

Will need a good honest bunch of lads there for him to do well.

Â