Paul Lambert

limpid

I'm not his biggest fan to be fair, still can't belive how Holt replaced Gabby, when we had Albrighton's pace, energy and quality crosses on the bench. Holt should be used only if something happen to CB. 

Lambert has lot to prove tactically to win me over

No matter what opinions there are (both sides) the foundations need to be laid and personally I cannot think of any other manager available that can do that with what we have in place as regards finances (for now). Other teams had a foundation (Everton, Southampton, Swansea)and they built on them and the job was much easier for the manager that inherited the job.

We need continuity (players as well as manager)- that's one thing we have not had since Ron Saunders where he had a good while and several overhauls (not vast ones).

Keep the faith - I know I will.

• Like 4

He's got my backing for now.

If Lerner gives him money in the summer then I will properly judge him next season when you would simply have to expect better results/performances.

Until Lerner gives him reasonable resources to compete for Europe I don't feel I can 100% say Lambert is a shit manager.

He's doing ok in a role that many other managers would fail at and only a few would do better at.

• Like 4

Yesterday, like the final period of last season, has shown what this team is capable of. The rest of the 18 months are what's been the problem. Hopefully we finish strong.

How many of yesterdays team came from the championship or league 1 since he took over. The majority just don't cut it when they take the step up. I really hope Lerner backs him with some real money to enable him to get quality in. (And I'm not talking stupid money like when under MON)

• Like 3

He's doing ok in a role that many other managers would fail at and only a few would do better at.

...and the vast majority of those few wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in managing Aston Villa in the absence of transfer funds. One or two left over? Well I think we're all open to reasonable suggestions as to who these mythical creatures might be.

One important thing for me this season is how solid we have been defensively and don't get rolled over and capitulate despite playing a big chunk without 2 of our best centre backs and having weak wing backs.  Only Spuds and Man Utd have scored more than 2 goals against us.  Considering we have played Arsenal and Liverpoo twice, Chelsea away and Man City at home then no one can argue that we haven't improved.(except for the ppl that no nothing about football)  

We are a work in progress and their is still things to be improved but imo Lambert has been doing a great job considering the circumstances including finances and injuries, if we get the No.10 that we so desperately need then our home form is sure to improve.  That formation Lambert played yesterday was exactly the same as he used to play with Norwich when they were at home and expected to take the game to the opposition.  Its all coming together and I'm proud that we are sticking with a manager for a prolonged period of time and not just sacking him when things get rough like most clubs these days.

• Like 4

Still not his biggest fan just because of him being so tactically inept. Saying that yesterday I feel he got the tactics right, but got the Gabby sub wrong. Holt should only come on if he is a direct replacement for Benteke, or if we play two up top, and are sending crosses in from the wings. 

He has to deal with cost cutting measures, and I don't envy that, but he bought into it when he signed up. 

The teams showed yesterday we can keep possession against a good side, and put them under pressure. Let's see if the team can keep it up, and he might be able to sway me.

• Like 2

He still needs to deliver much better quality football at Villa Park.

Also he needs to understand how essential Gabby is to the forward line. If he's thinking Holt has come in to replace Gabby we could be in bad trouble. We lost the chance to win the match yesterday when Gabs went off IMHO.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 4

Definitely, we have to come out as we did yesterday away at Liverpool, but at home in every game. We looked like we were the home team and completely suppressed their attack until the end of the first half, for me we start way too slow and awkward at home, hopefully this might change now after two good performances against top clubs.

• Like 1

Tactically Lambert got it spot on against Liverpool so I'm unsure why some think he is weak in this area?

We have options in our squad but the problem is the inconsistency of certain players; Weimann, KEA, Benteke, Albrighton, Sylla, Lowton etc have made it difficult for Lambert to play the same team week in week out.

Lambert's not been here that long and as the Mail article showed his performances have been better than other managers we've had and he's had to reduce the wage issue.

Also he needs to understand how essential Gabby is to the forward line. If he's thinking Holt has come in to replace Gabby we could be in bad trouble. We lost the chance to win the match yesterday when Gabs went off IMHO.

I'd be fairly sure he does understand how essential Gabby is. It's bleedin' obvious.

Â