Paul Lambert

limpid

I like him too but he is still a piss poor manager who is leading this club, along with Lerner, into oblivion

I don't think any of us has any evidence that he's a piss poor manager.

What we do have is evidence that his football team isn't playing very well. There's a big difference.

If you like him, as you say, try a bit harder and I think you'll be able to find a few reasons why he hasn't had a fair crack of it so far.

The team is playing very very poorly and the manager has to take his share of responsibility. Villa fans have endured 2.5 seasons of crap with the occasional bright spot whilst setting all sorts of unwelcome records. All the empirical evidence points to the fact he is a poor manager not least because we do not even do the basics right. As I have said a number of times on this thread the minimum I expected of Lambert was a well organised side that was difficult to beat. Sadly we are neither and maybe I am a little old fashioned in placing responsibility for coaching, tactics and formations with the manager.

Now of course his supporters will always trot out the lack of transfer funds and wage caps argument which is fair but Lambert must have been aware of those when he took the job so your 'fair crack of the whip' argument is nonsense unless 2.5 seasons is too short a time to judge?

I have no high expectations of what we can achieve under the current ownership regime and the long term solution is undoubtedly a new owner but that does not deflect from the managers obvious shortcomings. I was so pleased when he was appointed but he has been found out, the job is simply too big for him.

Oh and thanks for the advice but I don't think I really want to try to like him harder, it won't change the simple fact of where we are and his capability in the role but if you want to like him even more....feel free.

• Like 3

After the Leicester display he has got a long way to go to get me fully back onside. I think he's trying his best, he always speaks well of us as a club and his wish to take us back up the table where we belong. I appreciate that Lerner is makign this impossible and surviving as long as we have has been difiicult. He's put together a much better squad this year, to his eternal credit, but the failure of the last half dozen fixtures and especially the manner of defeat to Leicester is really hard to take with these players. We aren't starting with 8 academy players anymore (and how I wanted us to find out they were world beaters) and while I appreciate that through injury and suspension Lambert has rarely had his plan A out ofr 90 minutes together this season, the players we have had on the pitch have shown enough at different times to see we have a better squad than the last two years.

This needed to be the year we kicked on and weren't involved with any relegation fears, both because we as a fanbase have had enough of it and because if he wants to have a better summer transfer window on a low budget we need to be a more attractive proposition to the type of player that might improve us. More prize money from the league gives more room in the budget for him to progress too. 

I'm still of the opinion that getting a good replacement would be very hard with the current off the field problems, if Lerner was of half a mind to sack him it would have been before Jan or immediatly after the Leicester game. Which makes our current plight all the worse if I'm honest, it means we have our hands tied and the faith placed in Lambert by Lerner seems a little less noble if it is based on the fear of having to find a replacement and not being willing to pay Lambert off.

The only ray of light is that stability can be a good thing, and if Lambert is worth the faith that a lot of us had in him for so long, then maybe he can turn it around from here. Tough though, we'll have to not lose 3 on the bounce to some big teams for a start, then kick on and get away from the bottom 3 scoring more than a goal a month.

• Like 1

The chairman has our best interests at heart? Haven't seen much evidence of that.

It's a meaningless statement intended to take pressure off his employer, but it is a fact. How could it not be a fact? You think he wants us relegated? Very strange.

Of course he doesn't want us relegated - he loses a bunch of tv money then and won't be able to sell the club for anything like as much.

And by the way, how much you personally like Lambert's personality and demeanour has no bearing whatsoever on his merits as a manager. You can argue that he's worked under difficult circumstances as much as you like, but can honestly say that he's got as much out of those circumstances as he could have?

As I have said a number of times on this thread the minimum I expected of Lambert was a well organised side that was difficult to beat. Sadly we are neither.

Seriously? We are both. Unfortunately we're difficult to beat but effortlessly easy to draw 0-0 against. You can blame the manager if you like, I'm blaming the fact that creative players are expensive, and I think it's fairly clear that Lambert has made it his priority to, erm, build a well organised side that is difficult to beat.

maybe I am a little old fashioned in placing responsibility for coaching, tactics and formations with the manager.

Not at all, but no idea why how it is you know so much about football that you can be sure Lambert's doing it all wrong (especially since nobody outside the club has any idea what his methods are).

I was so pleased when he was appointed but he has been found out, the job is simply too big for him.

If it's too big for him, it's too big for the next bloke Lerner would get. Trust me on this a hundred percent.

The trouble we have now is although we have become hard to beat we have become hard to lose to and this in my mind can only be addressed with that someone or someones in the middle.  It also time that the non scorers such as Agbonlahor/Weimann to be dropped and never near the first team again.  We have a couple of young players like Grealish and Robinson so he needs to have them in and on and before people say the former players mentioned are seasoned professionals and are a potential goal threat that's crap they have offered nothing, done nothing and vanish and again before people say they don't get the service, their played in the wrong positions blah blah that's crap as well, their supposed to be Premier league players!!!!  Yes they run about a lot (some times), but then so do chickens!  It seems funny that no other clubs show any interest in Gabby Defoe or Andi Ronaldo and never have!!!!!!!!!  

3 defeats from 10 games at home games, shows we are hard to beat

That may be the case but.......

• Villa are winless in six league games, the worst current run in the division. They have scored one goal and had four players sent off during that spell.
  • They have only won two of 17 league matches since mid-September (W2, D6, L9).
  • Paul Lambert's side have played for seven hours and 12 minutes since scoring in the Premier League (Christian Benteke's strike against Manchester United on 20 December).
  • Their total of 11 goals from 21 games is the third lowest in top-flight history; Derby had 10 goals at the same stage in 2007-08, while Leicester scored eight times in 1977-78.
  • They have only averaged a point per game from their last 63 league fixtures at Villa Park, winning just 15 times (W15, D18, L30)
  • Like 1

They have only averaged a point per game from their last 63 league fixtures at Villa Park, winning just 15 times (W15, D18, L30)

Every time I see a new stat like that it stuns me but it really shouldn't.

It's unbelievable, God only knows how this man is still employed.

There is more than one way to show we aren't happy with the way the club is going. Any negative form of protest to me is senseless as we need points. We need to support the team. Singing We want Lambert out or youndont know what you're doing will,only have a negative effect. I understand the need to vent our frustrations but I think we need a positive way. A way that supports the team yet gets our point across. The whole ground singing Big Fat Rons Claret and Blue Army or something along those lines would for me have a better effect.

So chanting the name of an ex manager won't affect the team but chanting 'we want Lambert out' or 'you don't know what you're doing' will affect the team!

Mind boggling logic.

I'll break it down for you. It shows we are supporting the team but not happy with Lambert. It's trying to get a positive atmosphere whilst showing our disapproval of the way things are going. is that too mind boggling?? Negativite atmospheres transmit to players and effects performances a rocking VP would show our discontent but hopefully encourage the team.

There is more than one way to show we aren't happy with the way the club is going. Any negative form of protest to me is senseless as we need points. We need to support the team. Singing We want Lambert out or youndont know what you're doing will,only have a negative effect. I understand the need to vent our frustrations but I think we need a positive way. A way that supports the team yet gets our point across. The whole ground singing Big Fat Rons Claret and Blue Army or something along those lines would for me have a better effect.

So chanting the name of an ex manager won't affect the team but chanting 'we want Lambert out' or 'you don't know what you're doing' will affect the team!

Mind boggling logic.

I'll break it down for you. It shows we are supporting the team but not happy with Lambert. It's trying to get a positive atmosphere whilst showing our disapproval of the way things are going. is that too mind boggling?? Negativite atmospheres transmit to players and effects performances a rocking VP would show our discontent but hopefully encourage the team.

I do so love to see a bit of intellectual sparring about how best to hate Lambert.

They have only averaged a point per game from their last 63 league fixtures at Villa Park, winning just 15 times (W15, D18, L30)

it shouldn't because every one of these new 'stats' that keep appearing are all centred on how many goals we score and how many we concede. Just because someone keeps thinking up new iterations of the same basic principle that results haven't been good enough doesn't make the situation any worse.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

Mind boggling logic.

No need to break it down for me. 

Perhaps the fans could sing 'we want Lambert out' to a similar happy tune to the chant you have mentioned and dance about smiling and waving while they are chanting it.

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

it shouldn't because every one of these new 'stats' that keep appearing are all centred on how many goals we score and how many we concede. Just because someone keeps thinking up new iterations of the same basic principle that results haven't been good enough doesn't make the situation any worse.

That stat mentions nothing about goals.

That stat mentions nothing about goals.

"centered on how many goals we score and how many we concede"

Generally games are won when you score more or concede less than the opposition. In a roundabout way it is a stat that is based on goals.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Â