Tactics - what, why, how?

Dodgyknees

• 1 month later...

3-4-3 gets a lot of hate, but I quite like it. 

Me too. I'd like to see it with Hutton and Cissokho. Or possibly even Bacuna.

Or with Grealish and Bacuna instead of Gabby and Andi.

Or better yet 2 new wide players to replace Gabby and Andi in the team

I think it would work better with two up top and the third playing behind them a little deeper. So, Benteke and Weimann up top and someone like Cole or Grealish behind them.

Might have actually been like that yesterday, hard to tell where Weimann was playing.

Edited by packoman

I think it would work better with two up top and the third playing behind them a little deeper. So, Benteke and Weimann up top and someone like Cole or Grealish behind them.

So more of a 3-4-1-2

Guzan

Vlaar   Okore   Clark

Hutton   Delph    Sanchez   Cissohko

Cole

Gabby     Benteke

• Like 1

Yep, Hutton and Cissohko get forward enough to provide the width, and I felt like we could have done with another player in between the midfield and forwards yesterday.

A fitting formation for this festive time of year!

Really does look solid, the complaints would be the lack of width but that could easily transition into a straight 3-4-3 or even 4-3-3 if necessary depending on where the width is needed.

• 4 months later...

I was wondering which thread to bump up to talk about this, didn't really want to bump an old Lambert thread up so thought this would be the best:

"Tactics Tim." What a ridiculous moniker from the deluded Spurs fans.

The bloke has been tactically flexible so far in his selections and formations and something that hasn't been mentioned today is we actually had 55-45% possession today away to a team that largely dominates. Against Liverpool it was 50-50.

That shows me we're improving as a team as we're actually backing up this with goals and end product.

Now compare it to xmas when Lambert was giving himself high fives for 60% possession at home to Palace and Sunderland when we had about two shots in total and it's a world of difference right now isn't it?

We're going toe to toe with some of the best teams in the country currently and makes me actually look forward to next season as I trust Sherwood to get us over the line in the next few games. Next year won't be dull that's for certain.

Tim Sherwood so far has been everything I wanted and expected Lambert to be when he arrived from Norwich.

• Like 2

I was wondering which thread to bump up to talk about this, didn't really want to bump an old Lambert thread up so thought this would be the best:

The bloke has been tactically flexible so far in his selections and formations and something that hasn't been mentioned today is we actually had 55-45% possession today away to a team that largely dominates. Against Liverpool it was 50-50.

That shows me we're improving as a team as we're actually backing up this with goals and end product.

Now compare it to xmas when Lambert was giving himself high fives for 60% possession at home to Palace and Sunderland when we had about two shots in total and it's a world of difference right now isn't it?

We're going toe to toe with some of the best teams in the country currently and makes me actually look forward to next season as I trust Sherwood to get us over the line in the next few games. Next year won't be dull that's for certain.

Tim Sherwood so far has been everything I wanted and expected Lambert to be when he arrived from Norwich.

I don't think anyone is debating whether we are better now than under Lambert.

The question now is are we good enough to win 2 more games to stay up ?  - throwing away goals like we did today and against QPR makes it harder

As I've said elsewhere Smertov I think 4 points will be enough, it would require Sunderland to get to 37 points and I just don't think they have 7 more points in them with their remaining fixtures. I could be wrong of course so will be putting fivers on them to win their remaining games just in case.

I do find it wierd that on an internet forum we have just won at Spurs, won a cup semi with Liverpool and have pushed Man. City very close tonight...and people are worrying we'll struggle to beat an already relegated Burnley on the last day. West Ham were playing some 18 year old kid in defence today so with their recent results they're on the beach aswell.

Anyway I think Sherwood has done more than enough since he arrived to earn our trust and get us over the line in the next few games.

As I've said elsewhere Smertov I think 4 points will be enough, it would require Sunderland to get to 37 points and I just don't think they have 7 more points in them with their remaining fixtures. I could be wrong of course so will be putting fivers on them to win their remaining games just in case.

I do find it wierd that on an internet forum we have just won at Spurs, won a cup semi with Liverpool and have pushed Man. City very close tonight...and people are worrying we'll struggle to beat an already relegated Burnley on the last day. West Ham were playing some 18 year old kid in defence today so with their recent results they're on the beach aswell.

Anyway I think Sherwood has done more than enough since he arrived to earn our trust and get us over the line in the next few games.

On the face of it yes - but who have we beat at home this season ?  Hull, Wba, Leicester .....- We've won 3 all season ! - If we don't beat Everton it becomes very nervy and anything could happen. 

On the face of it yes - but who have we beat at home this season ?  Hull, Wba, Leicester .....- We've won 3 all season ! - If we don't beat Everton it becomes very nervy and anything could happen. 

Same as Sunderland isn't it chap...a team that has to win 1 more game than us between now and the end of thee season. ;)

good post

• 3 months later...

Might be a good time to bump this thread up ahead of the opening game....

Now we've been playing 4-4-2 most of pre season and there's some talk we'll go with that tomorrow which I reckon is asking for trouble.

Not sure why Sherwood seems to be going away from 4-3-2-1 which bar the awful last few games actually worked really well for us and resulted in some of our best midfield performances in years (Spurs away and Liverpool cup semi).

I'm just unconvinced by us playing just two in there, especially if you're banking on two new players to this league in Veretout and Gueye instantly getting a good understanding and protecting an unconvincing back 4. I'd prefer an extra man in there, Westwood or indeed even Sanchez given the good form in the Copa.

I also wonder what will happen when Okore is fit again.

It seems strange we haven't tried out 3-5-2 at all in pre season especially after Amavi got signed. To me it would seem logical to play Okore, Clark and Richards as a back 3 especially if Richards is going to continue his mad runs with the ball out of defence which is asking for trouble in a back 4.

I'll be interested to see how it all pans out over the next few weeks, we certainly have many options to play the 3/4 forward roles now so need to find the best combinations quickly. Just hope Tim dosen't have too many choices to pick from and messes about with them.

Not sure tactics are anywhere near rigid enough in the modern game to be able to be referred to as simply a formation. Players are all over the place all the time.

Â