Not starting a new job after signing a contract

AstonMartin82

Under an ancient bylaw, your new employers have the right to execute you.

But only if the execution takes place within the grounds of Chester cathedral and is performed with a longbow between the hours of midnight and three A.M.
Well, obviously, yeah.

Just to be clear. There is no contract until there has been consideration. It makes no difference whether you've signed it or not. Until they've paid you something the contract isn't formed.

Actually I don't believe that is the case. As far as I'm aware a contract of employment commences from the point at which it is accepted (signed) and not from the point at which work commences or payment is made.

If the above was the case then people would work the first month of their job without a contract of employment until they have received their first pay which clearly isn't the case.

A contract can be formed verbally, it need not be in writing and as far as I'm aware certainly doesn't require payment to have occurred.

You are quite right. Payment is irrelevant. Consideration is required.

He had agreed to offer them services in exchange for money. That is consideration. I think you've got this one wrong.

So what is the consideration offered by the employer?

He had agreed to offer them services in exchange for money. That is consideration. I think you've got this one wrong.

Is this not executory consideration?  The promise for the company to pay salary in the future in return for the performance of the employee's duties?

Is this not executory consideration?  The promise for the company to pay salary in the future in return for the performance of the employee's duties?

You mean executed consideration as the payment would be after the fact. Executory consideration would be a payment before he started work, which would complete the contract and mean failing to start work was a tort with respect to that contract.

If I have got this wrong then I can only apologise and again refer the OP to proper legal advice. I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong though and even if I am the OP can still use the probation period to terminate the contract.

It's been a while so I could be wrong as well, but I thought executory consideration was a contract based on future promises, ie if you paint my fence tomorrow, I'll pay you for it next week.  Same thing applies here, the company is promising to pay you a month's salary as consdieration after you've started work.

In any case, this is just intellectual theory, I've never heard of an employer even attempting to do anything in this situation.

Edit: and the probabtion period is a very good point.  Even if you started work for them, either side can normally terminate the contract at short notice say after a week.  They then can't force you to work your notice in any case.

Edited by Risso

I'm not saying who is right or wrong though I posed this "consideration" question on the Consumer Action Forum and it generated a little confusion and debate. However, it would appear the most experienced poster has stated:

Originally Posted by steampowered viewpost-right.png

Consideration is about whether or not there is a legal obligation to do something, not whether you have actually performed it. For example, an obligation to go to work in a week's time can be consideration.
Indeed. There is consideration on both sides; you are agreeing to perform work, and in return receive pay for that work. Consideration can be both "executed" (already performed) or "executory" (a promise to do something in the future).

In regards to my situation the contract is being drawn up so I guess I'll be providing an update as to how my conversation goes at the end of the week. ;) Quite looking forward to it :)

Just to be clear. There is no contract until there has been consideration. It makes no difference whether you've signed it or not. Until they've paid you something the contract isn't formed.

I'm surprised we have no legal types. This is pretty basic, but check with CAB or a solicitor if you want to be sure.

Edit: I see it's all figured out now. Just for the future though, a promise to do something can be consideration. Just because nothing has changed hands doesn't mean it isn't there. It will all depend on the wording of the contract and if things don't go as smoothly as it did for you (and I'm glad it did and congrats on the job!), speak to a lawyer.

Edited by Spoony

Â