Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Hill, Lyden, Kinsella, Melvin, Bateman, Webb ©, Graham, Ward, Robinson, Grealish, Calder. Subs Lewis, Watkins (GK), Crooks, Crowley, Strain

Crowley and Lewis came on at half time for Ward and Calder, Crooks came on late on.

Kev, from what I could pick up from the commentary (all 50 minutes of it, well done AVTV :rolleyes:) nothing really went their way, but they were the masters of their own downfall. If twitter is anything to go by, most of them were ready to retire last night, good to see some of them hurting but not sure how much of the over reaction was down to attention seeking, I know Jack let himself down a little bit with some of his comments.

I gather they are playing Middlesbrough on Saturday, will be interesting to see if the comments are just talk or if there is going to be a backlash and improvement. The first team have spent weeks licking their wounds and feeling sorry for themselves, be nice to see what the kids are made of.

Edited by AndyClarke

Yeah thats true andy . I understand that they're only young and still learning so theyre are some immature comments made on socal networking sites. Some of them are pretty obvious when attention seeking aswell which is ridiculous as they want to be professionals and will need to grow out of it.

In saying this, i messaged jacko after the game and he was generally upset and embarrassed after the game. I wont mention what was said but understandbly the whole team did get a bolluck'in. Jack missed two decent chances late on and was gutted. I'm never bigheaded and it was never his best game. But i felt he was one of the best on the villa team last night and hit the post and went on another good run late on and put it wide. He looked like making something happen.

The whole team including jack was not up to standard last night even if they did have a lot more possession and a few more chances. They got caught on the break once then two slip ups from hill ( Who i think is a superb keeper on his day ) cost them big time.

It is a massive competition for a youngster and there are plenty of players who have done well in it, had their moment on sky tv but never had a professional career, so I can understand the disappointment, particularly as it may be the last year of playing in the competition for some of the lads.

They might not know it at the moment, but you learn more from a defeat than you do a victory and if any of these guys want to be Premier League footballers, this will be an insignificant night in their career. I'm glad they are hurting, they ought to be, but you can only lick your wounds for so long, you have to get back up and show what you are made of, be brave and put your head above the parapet for whatever sniping comes your way. I do think that twitter in particular is an excellent place to put a comment and then sit back and enjoy the sympathy, in Jack's case he got some unwarranted abuse and I don't blame him for snapping back, however, like it or not, he has to learn to be better and box clever. I hope these lads have been training today, I hope that they have been told to wipe the sulks off their faces (and to delete their "So sorry, we let you all down" tweets), start smiling and enjoy their incredibly priveliged young lives. They need to remember how much it hurts to fail and make sure they don't feel it very often.

SGC , find this result and last years effort quite amusing . I do remember you putting DOWN members of the team that made the semi final 2 years ago and telling with your chest pumped out how the next lot through would go on and win the youth cup for sure . Well they got knocked out in the 1st game 2 years running . just because a player can stepover the ball 300 times a game and perform circus tricks with ease , does not mean they will be a good player . Would rather the team full of grafters than a team of super stars that do not play as a team . Whats the next bold prediction from the wise SGC

Edited by rumourmill

• 3 weeks later...
Â