Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Spoiler

The youth team are playing Leicester City tomorrow 11.30 kick off time, I'm going with Noel and I will try to watch as much of both the u16s and U18s as I can and provide a report for each

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

The number 8 for the u16s was brilliant, Noel who I went with said that he heard him being called Lou or Lew, he was a central midfielder, fantastic he was. For the U18s, I was very impressed by Dominic Revan who is an u16 centre back, he was a leader. It was another very enjoyable spectacle at Bodymoor Heath

• Like 2

I think the u16s finished 6-1 for those that are interested, they have some terrific players and played great football. I saw Steven Pressley at the match who was watching his son Aaron who is an u16 striker for us. Jack Grealish's Dad was there too

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Sorry! The u16s finished 6-1 to us and the U18s was 2-2

Phew!

Our U16's seem to be the group to watch. I know the club are very keen to win the youth of the city back from the Albion and it's very encouraging to note that we seem to have both a good group of youngsters and good individuals at U16 level.

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Phew!

Our U16's seem to be the group to watch. I know the club are very keen to win the youth of the city back from the Albion and it's very encouraging to note that we seem to have both a good group of youngsters and good individuals at U16 level.

Today was the first time that I had seen them and they were brilliant, Leicester couldn't get near us in the first half that I saw. It's just a shame that I couldn't identify any of the players individually, collectively they were amazing

38 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Looked like the first team towards the end. Just sat back until the inevitable goal. At least they're learning the Villa way young.

Very unfair.  Man City were a class above Villa but our lads effort would put the first Team to shame.  Our £80 million first Team are sitting back against the likes of Brentford.

This was more like our first Team being pushed back against Real Madrid and putting their body's on the line with last ditch tackles against vastly superior opposition until eventually being worn down and conceding a late goal.  

I was very proud of the young lads tonight and they should be very proud of their performance.

• Like 4

There's three ways to win a youth game, physicality, ability and organisation.

City were bigger, stronger and fitter than our boys, they were also a much better side - I'm guessing the City team have been put together for a small fortune, if they have, it's money well spent. I don't think we've got anyone that would keep Jadon Sancho out of our first team, let alone our youth side. Their number 9, Brahim Diaz was impressive and their number 5, Ed Francis looked a good player, but across the whole pitch they looked a quality outfit.

That we stuck with them for 86 minutes is a testimony to the mental strength and the organisation of our group - they never stopped doing their jobs, they never stopped working hard, they had a shape and a confidence to keep coming back - if you beat one of them with a trick, it didn't phase them at all, they'd be straight back at you, if one found themselves up front alone with four defenders, he'd fight for the ball like he was favourite for it.

I wondered where all our luck had gone - now I know. City hit the woodwork four times, blazed three or four very good chances over the bar and deserved the result, but our lads can take a lot of personal pride, not necessarily in how good they are with a ball, but in the personal qualities they brought to the game, their resilience and their determination.

Individually, i thought the two that stood out for us were Jack Clarke in the middle of the park and Johan Abdoul* who is down on the team sheet at number 3 but wore 5 with the number 5 wearing 4 and the 4 wearing 3 - something like that anyway - regardless, not the fella who scored the goal for us, but the centre back - our keeper also made a couple of cracking saves and managed to shout "Oh shit sorry" loudly enough to hear from the expressway after possibly his only poor kick of the game. 

I've seen better Villa youth teams, but this lot can hold their heads up high, there was some quality of character out there and some strong minded young men.

Nice also to see Messrs Bruce, Round, Wyness and most of the coaching staff watching the game and particularly to see Bruce happy to talk to fans for a few minutes at half time.

*EDIT - Johan Abdoul WAS wearing number 3 - so it wasn't him - the team sheet said number 5 was James Finnerty, so I've a feeling it was Mitchell Clark.

• Like 1

Â