Midweek football 20/24 October

andykeenan

Went to the Roma v Bayern game tonight. Absolutely fantastic atmosphere. Never experienced anything like it in England before.

Bayern are a bit good aren't they!

Watching the goals on TV I could only assume Roma had been nobbled

But maybe im being unfair on Munich and how good they were

Cole was at fault for at least two of those goals, was subbed at half time. CL probably beyond him at this point in his career.

Roma shouldn't despair, beat Moscow and they should still be above City going into the final game so I think they'd have signed up for that at the start of the games.

think it was just a one off freak result, dont think Roma were that bad but Bayern would do that to most teams on any night. Its still in their hands to qualify ahead of City.

City have a huge problem in Europe and its always been there and his name is Yaya Toure, its ok dominating against Villa, Sunderland or Newcastle but he never seems to do it in the key European or Premier League games. Case in point City vs Chelsea last season and Matic put him in his pocket

One of the great things is European nights at Anfield. It's just folklore isn't it? It's incredible. It does bring up some of the great nights in football. The Kop, mosaics. It's always something different and unique which make Anfield nights so special.

"(Other teams) know how important the passion of the Anfield crowd is and yet even they say on those nights it was incredible. The atmosphere, the energy pouring out. It comes back on the players and they find more energy and they play another 15, 20, 25 per cent higher, feeding off the emotion.

"No other ground has it like Anfield, the flags are all flying and the crowd singing You'll Never Walk Alone and it just creates a wonderful, wonderful, atmosphere. It's night time and something happens at Anfield when the lights go on.

"I'm painting a picture and I'm quite excited by it all. I've been there and played in front of it but it still never ceases to amaze me how good this can actually be."

From Phil Thompsons preview on the sky sports app.

Vomit inducing.

Edited by Jimzk5

One of the great things is European nights at Anfield. It's just folklore isn't it? It's incredible. It does bring up some of the great nights in football. The Kop, mosaics. It's always something different and unique which make Anfield nights so special.

"(Other teams) know how important the passion of the Anfield crowd is and yet even they say on those nights it was incredible. The atmosphere, the energy pouring out. It comes back on the players and they find more energy and they play another 15, 20, 25 per cent higher, feeding off the emotion.

"No other ground has it like Anfield, the flags are all flying and the crowd singing You'll Never Walk Alone and it just creates a wonderful, wonderful, atmosphere. It's night time and something happens at Anfield when the lights go on.

"I'm painting a picture and I'm quite excited by it all. I've been there and played in front of it but it still never ceases to amaze me how good this can actually be."

From Phil Thompsons preview on the sky sports app.

Vomit inducing.

It's also mostly false

i think what phil thompson means is that all the tourists have their flags and scarves out at the start, the fans then do absolutely **** all for 89 minutes but because they're so great they'll sing you'll never walk alone at the end, even if they're losing, best fans in the world 

btw he also starts that bollocks on sky with "clash of the european titans"

Edited by villa4europe

How on earth are City so poor in Europe? Hundreds of millions spent, 2 Premier League titles and the furthest they have gone in the Champions League is the round of 16. Appalling effort from them.

They have been screwed by the seeding system which seems to me a relic of the G14 days in that it entirely serves the interests of the G14 clubs.  It's like the country coefficients, once you are on top things are in place to make it easier to stay on top.  Thankfully the seeding system is changing next year and the champions of the top 7 leagues plus the defending champions of Europe (assuming they didn't win their domestic title too) will be the top seeds instead of the current old boys club system.  Not that this excuses some of City's more inept performances against sides they should be beating but in theory it will give them an easier group if they win the league this season*.  

They won't win the league this season, but that's not the point I was trying to make

• Like 1

I would love if Real did what Bayern did last night

If it wasn't for them having one eye on El Clásico, I do believe that they would've run Bayern quite close with the way that Liverpool defend. Hopefully they get an early goal and can run riot in the first-half at least.

dont think the seeding can be used as an excuse, its 4 seasons now and they look average.  if City played Fernando, Fernandinho and Milner in the middle they would be a lot stronger and would allow them to play 2 up front with Silva behind.

Toure is the problem, he is a passenger and its not the 1st and wont be the last time

As it's Liverpool vs Madrid, watch this: 

Last time they met in 2009, Liverpool won 4-0 (it was that week where they beat Man Utd 4-1, Madrid 4-0 and us 5-0) and just look at the difference between the two teams then and the two teams now.  Liverpool are nowhere near as good, Madrid are significantly better.  Just look at Torres in this video, he is a force of nature. His decline since those days has been so big it's almost impressive. 

Â