PieFacE

Does anyone have any interest in Far Cry 4?

Been looking at some of the gameplay and the co-op looks quite fun, but I've never played a Far Cry before. Are they good?

There's some co-op footage here, I've not heard the commentary as I'm at work and can't have the sound on, so apologies if it's annoying....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ET491Kv2fU

Edited by PieFacE

Loved Far Cry

Loved Far Cry 2 (despite respawning enemies)

Found Far Cry 3 a bit meh (probably more to do with very poor console optimisation and ubisofts 'template'

Think 4 looks utter rubbish.

Edited by Ingram85

Loved Far Cry 3 but this one seems like a reskin of that, it's definitely worth getting if you haven't played 3, it's probably worth getting anyway. Being released cross platform is holding it back though.

The issue I had with Far Cry 3 was very simple.

When you were left to your own devices and were hunting the wildlife and taking over enemy bases etc it was an absolute joy. As soon as you had to do anything to do with the tiresome storyline it became a chore.

Hopefully FC4's story will be a little more interesting.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Far Cry 4 apparently addresses the issues in the urgency of the story juxtaposed against the sandbox ability to go and pick flowers for days on end, should you so wish.

The original Far Cry was fantastic though. The second was alright, not so keen on the fact you couldn't take land, which they got right in the third. The second game and the third, theme wise were essentially the same, with just a different way of telling of the Heart of Darkness tale.

Shadow of mordor suffers from the same IMO, the balance between the story and the sand box stuff doesn't work, I used up all my enjoyment of the game doing pretty much **** all and it was a chore to finish

Also really didn't like the acid trippy stuff which I've seen a bit of for 4

I don't think there is much of a curve on these games, 20 hours in to it you've got some new abilities and some new classes of enemies but you're still doing the same thing, sneaking up on a base, releasing the animals, couple of sniper kills, deactivate the alarm, kill everyone... Now do it to the other 15 bases... The radio towers were the same, they tried to make them harder to climb but they were the same

Not sure if the environments on this one will make it more interesting

I quite liked the mission in Far Cry 3 where you went on a drug fuelled ramapage through the drug crops with the drum and bass booming in the background.

I do very much like the setting of this one.

The issue I had with Far Cry 3 was very simple.

When you were left to your own devices and were hunting the wildlife and taking over enemy bases etc it was an absolute joy. As soon as you had to do anything to do with the tiresome storyline it became a chore.

I agree with that, I liked the game on the whole (and loved Far Cry 2 before) but never really bothered with the main storyline as some of the missions seemed to drag on.

Not sure if I am going to get 4 as I'm still thinking about upgrading to a PS4 and it would be pointless getting a new game if I'm going to upgrade my console so soon.

I enjoyed FC3 and the story tbh apart from the weird drug monster bit in the middle of it. 

FC4 seems more integrated to co op, polished with new additions and with what appears to be more expansive involvement.

Fc3 was good, some of the missions were pretty dull though. They could learn a lot from that game with the grappling hook and you can blow everything up. Can't for the life of me remember what it is called! :(

Just Cause?

Credit to Far Cry though, it's rare that a sandbox game is that fun outside of the story.

• Like 1

Yea. I liked the way you could fly around in a chopper, destroying anything in the world and it would go towards something. Like clear out a base would count as a mini mission itself, but it would also count towards a much larger objective. I liked that method :)

Â