Outside of Villa Park...

Mic09

I wasn't aware we had been discussing anything. You could always provide your side of things in response to my previous post or not.

What is it that you disagree with in either paragraph, specifically?

Edited by Ads

for one its not like being pregnant for the a large number of fans, especially young fans who are still undecided on who to support and can be best influenced by going to a game at villa park, where we have really sold ourselves as a club recently

as for the type of fans that have flooded the premier league, not much we can do about it, we arent going to amke some kind of stoic stand against half and half scarves and turn everyone round to our way of thinking, i doubt the huge number of man utd fans in birmingham will suddenly become villa fans upon the news that we've banned ipad rocket polishers from the ground

i dont see what your problem is with it all, stand still and things will still carry on around us only the number of young fans we lose to city / chelsea / utd / arsenal / liverpool even barca / madrid FFS will get worse, do something and the match day experience might improve for some fans, we might get some new fans, we might retain more fans who float rather than commit to coming every week, we might increase the atmosphere in the ground and the buzz around villa park, we might increase the revenue, we might raise more cash for acorns, we might get some new sponsorship / partnership deals, we might make ourselves a better "brand" in the eyes of investors

but nah **** it, modern football is shit lets not bother doing anything

• Like 1

I don't see how your first point point suggests my analogy is incorrect. If you're undecided, then you're not a fan yet. In any event, the majority of match going adults now will have likely have had match going parents, the point being that there isn't often a great deal of choice in who you support. A case in point being Small Heath and their continued existence.

In respect of your second paragraph, you're probably right, the only way of dealing with Brummie Reds is to pretend they don't exist and ignore them. They really are the lowest of the low. The problem is their consequence on the game; they make it more expensive because clubs know they can exploit loyalty by charging what they like, with there being a column of Sky zombies waiting in the wings to steal your seat. That is what keeps a lot of fans out of the game, it's too expensive and that is a symptom of modern football, no matter how much you try and laugh it off.

I don't have a problem with the way Villa have the family fun days; they're clearly targeting a specific demographic and trying to make it easier for their parents to get their children excited about coming to the Villa; whatever you bribe them with in those early games is fine by me; face painting, sweets, swearing, it really doesn't take much to get the bug. That's what you want, fans who, money and time dependant, want to come and watch their local club when they can and provide support unconditional of success or lack of. That is a significant distinction.

In terms of raising revenue, it all begs the question (and this is why the state of the English game in 2014 is so thoroughly depressing) of what are we competing for? We cannot compete for trophies on a consistent basis, with one or two aberrations, the same five or so sides have a monopoly on them only equalled in their strangle hold on the cash cow that is the Misnomer League. FFP has pulled the ladder up, so who wants to invest in that?

That's what is so lamentable about modern football, and you can scoff at it as much as you want, I haven't seen a convincing argument otherwise, that families with a long history of attending games or people keen on getting down the football  are priced out in the first instance and denied any genuine competition even when they can go to the games.

The clubs are equally complicit in this deceit, we've talked about targeting the tourist supporter, but there is the bigger sham when you consider the vast quantities of money that has been poured into the game since 1992 and the overwhelming majority of it has been squandered on players of dubious quality who have stolen a living. We as Villa fans know this all too well.

What is the solution? I feel the game is dead as a competition in England. It’s an expensive cartel and we're not invited to eat at the buffet; wage caps might level the playing field or Man United et al disappearing to go and play Real Madrid every week in a super league of sorts is another.

Edited by Ads
  • Like 1

Competition is certainly dead for the Villa I'll give you that. We gave up a long time ago, thanks to Randy.

In fairness to Lerner, he initially shelled out a sum of money unthinkable under Ellis, but it was Martin O'Neill who had no idea what he was doing in the transfer market, and subsequently crippled any forward momentum that injection of cash could have had.

• Like 1

Your perogative. I haven't seen a counter narrative put forward to the core of my point and would be interested to know if the people who disagree with all I say look at the state of top flight English football and are happy with it.

Stevo, free brown fish with every half and half scarf sold.

If anybody was at Old Trafford the year three off side goals won them the title and specifically at the front of the away end, then you'd share my antipathy towards them.

I also fail to see how anybody who has visited Stamford Bridge over the years and seen the changes and spoken to the fans, new and old could disagree with my assessment of quite easily the most loathsome club in all of English football.

Ads - I'm not sure what it is you want mate. If we are to at least attempt to compete then we will need to be commercially successful. Whether that is through ideas like this or another way. That is how football is now and no amount of complaining about it is going to change that, so we either go with it or we don't.

If we choose not to, then the point of supporting a football club has gone for me. No hope, no expectation, no enjoyment, no reason to turn up at all no matter how much the ticket costs.

I don't expect glory, I don't "hunt" it, but I do expect effort from all corners of the club.

Your perogative. I haven't seen a counter narrative put forward to the core of my point and would be interested to know if the people who disagree with all I say look at the state of top flight English football and are happy with it.

I am neither happy nor particularly unhappy with it. I simply accept it. Mostly because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, voting with my feet achieves nothing but to make the situation harder for us, Aston Villa Football Club. The only club I give a toss about.

I am neither happy nor particularly unhappy with it. I simply accept it. Mostly because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, voting with my feet achieves nothing but to make the situation harder for us, Aston Villa Football Club. The only club I give a toss about.

Competition is certainly dead for the Villa I'll give you that. We gave up a long time ago, thanks to Randy.

In fairness to Lerner, he initially shelled out a sum of money unthinkable under Ellis, but it was Martin O'Neill who had no idea what he was doing in the transfer market, and subsequently crippled any forward momentum that injection of cash could have had.

Lerner was great in the early days then he gave up, sold all our best players and replaced them with crap. That's why we're in a mess, no other reason. He lost interest. If it was Doug who did that his house would probably have been burnt down by now.

I'm not sure having a load of bars & a place for fans to hang around outside the ground is a good idea when you lose & play badly at home as often as we do!

I'm seeing the upside. Maybe a fear of having their Bentley's egged by an angry mob might spur the players on. 

Nobody has once said they disagree with you on this.

All anybody has said is that either you try and grow with the game or you get left behind.

I'd love football to go back to how it was 30 years ago and have us compete the old fashioned way. But it's not going to happen. So either we try and change the club or we die.

Your attitude seems to be you'd prefer to see the club slip down the leagues than do anything differently to how you think it should be done.

Which is fine. You have the right to hold that view.

But personally, I'd rather see the club try and keep up with the modern game than sit around doing nothing because it doesn't really like it and end up in League 1 in a few years.

Stevo, free brown fish with every half and half scarf sold.

If anybody was at Old Trafford the year three off side goals won them the title and specifically at the front of the away end, then you'd share my antipathy towards them.

I also fail to see how anybody who has visited Stamford Bridge over the years and seen the changes and spoken to the fans, new and old could disagree with my assessment of quite easily the most loathsome club in all of English football.

I'm not sure how your or anybody else's dislike of Man United or Chelsea has even the slightest relevance to the conversation.

Â