10 Days in Japan

Djemba_Villan

Villatalk Gods.

I intend to visit Japan for 10 days in Mid November. (Only time I can manage it)

Can someone please give me some advice about the key things to fit into that timeframe. Bear in mind, it's 3 lads in their mid-20s so no couplet stuff. Budget isn't a major issue.

I have it in my mind to go to the Sumo tournament in Fukuoka at some point, so am considering flying INTO Tokyo but out of somewhere in the South. JLR pass is a given. Apart from that it's in your hands.

Is Osaka worth staying? Givens are Tokyo and Kyoto but I'd really appreciate any weird things you recommend. I'd also love to hear if you know of anything to do there which is "Adventure/Adrenaline" related.

Thanks in advance :D

Edited by Djemba_Villan

Osaka is a mini tokyo IMO but not as good

Wainy is right, I'm half way through my japan trip from last week in the japan and Singapore thread, lots of advice in there already

2 words if your 3 lads travelling there - izakaya and kabukicho

One thing which did surprised me was that it was like a ghost town in shinjuku after 1am sync the booze wasn't half watered down

and my costs for the 2 of us

£1080 flights

£500 tokyo hotel for 4 nights (awesome hotel though)

£150 kyoto for 3 nights

£50 hiroshima for 1 night

£50 osaka for 1 night

£150 tokyo for 2 nights

£1400 spending money

£320 train tickets

And the spending money I didnt want to bring any home and piss about with it so on the last night we went for a £100 meal, also bought a japan football shirt (brilliant shirt btw) and a pair of Ray bans

Also think we spent around £100 on suica cards which are the equivalent of an Oyster card, although a bit of advice, they don't really use bank cards in shops but you can use your subway card to pay for things instead

• Like 1

If you're interested you could do the Tokyo Pub Crawl. I think they organise em every Friday and Saturday night. I went with a mate and did it on a Friday night with a couple of other people from our hostel and it was good fun. You can find out their info from their Facebook page.

Shinjuku is where it's at, until the last train home at 1, then it's a ghost town, but say 5pm - 1am there's a couple of hundred thousand people milling about with probably a thousand bars / restaurants dotted about

Also very easy to get to shibuya which is also busy, and the Yamanote line pretty much loops round the city and you use your JR rail pass on it

That hotel is in kabukicho which might stay busier, it was the liveliest bit of shinjuku, also a bit of a red light district (although still seemed perfectly safe, if you don't want the hassle then avoid the African men touting the girls)

Edited by villa4europe

• 7 months later...

Well, i am also going to Japan for 10 days in July.

5 nights in Tokyo in Hyatt Regency in Shinjuku

1 night Hiroshima in Crowne Plaza

2 nights Kyoto in a Ryokan called Gian Hatanaka

2 couples (and a 9 year old kid) going.

Where to start with planning what to do?

new website has thrown me a little, but this is your new bible - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623.html

would have recommended longer in kyoto, would say go to nara from there (with the fushi inari temple on the way) but it'll take half a day and theres plenty to do in kyoto anyway,  you'll do hiroshima in a day so no problem there (i did the museum, castle and miyajima)

tokyo its hard to say what to do, its such a big place, did the sky tree and round there for a day, did odaiba for the day, can recommend the restaurant that they got the inspiration for kill bill from, called Gonpachi Nishiazabu in roppongi hills

as part of convincing the missus to go i went to disneyland in tokyo (at the expense of going to mt fuji or nikko) and loved it, properly weird place especially if you've been to the american parks

get suica cards, their equivalent of oyster cards but they are accepted in most shops etc whereas your bank card probably wont be

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Giro said:

I'm looking to do Tokyo this year however my mate looks like he's going to flop. Anybody been on their own and do you think it would be worth it? 

mate go for it, you only live once. you probably have the best time and shows you have some real balls to do it

It was another country where the Black Country twang prohibited any attempt I made at talking to locals

Watched a villa game by myself in an Irish bar in shinjuku (the English pub in shinjuku (HUB?) I walked in there asked for villa v arsenal and they laughed, they had the news on and weren't interested, walked in another the week after in asakusa or something like that to watch us v Chelsea and it was jazz night instead...I experienced first hand how much they "love" English football) in my villa shirt and I had English, Americans, 3 Real Madrid fans came and sat with me for a while, couple of Japanese girls came over to try and talk to me, really friendly place

Guinness was watered down shite though

In shinjuku I stayed in century southern tower which iirc isn't that expensive and the view is insane, plus from there you can walk to the main station or if you want the Yamamoto line which is one of the main ones you can walk down stream to the much quieter next station (which is also a bus terminal)

• 2 months later...

Well I'm all booked up for May and I can't wait!!! Also booked a ticket to see Tokyo FC on 29th against Osaka, not hoping so much for quality but it will be another ground ticked off the list 

• Like 1

Â