Would we sell out Champions League Games?

supernova26

I find what happened at City in midweek vs Roma very small time (only sold 37k, capacity 47k).

We, of course, aspire to be a Champions League club. 

Personally I'd like nothing more than to see the CL banners and music at VP on a cold midweek evening. I'd like to thing we would sell out these matches but I'm thinking maybe not. Do we have a small time mentality like those City fans?

Edited by supernova26

Same as man city, depends on the price

City to my knowledge don't have the same season ticket automatically includes a commitment to buy CL games that the others have, not sure how they package the games, £45 a pop for 3 games, they're going to sell, £100 for all 3 or something similar is needed, it would need a big marketing push, I'm sure when we played Ajax that game was fully ice but you could get the other group game vs zelina or someone shit for about a tenner

It's the same as all night games they're a ball ache

And I would also guess that city have a couple of thousand fans that aren't paying £45 to watch a home game but are paying £250 to watch an away game, which we would certainly be the same, if we got CL the demand for away tickets would be insane

Edited by villa4europe

I actually went to this game, and I asked myself the same question. Waht I found was that they took it for granted. More so, they were disguisted with the performance as they strive to be the best. I remember Yaya making a mistake and a couple of fans started singing 'happy birthday'...

I reckon for the first 2 seasons we would sell out. But then, after 3-4 years, I am not sure I would spend 40 quid to see some weak team from Ukraine or Cyprus play... (not that Roma is a poor team at all!)

I actually went to this game, and I asked myself the same question. Waht I found was that they took it for granted. More so, they were disguisted with the performance as they strive to be the best. I remember Yaya making a mistake and a couple of fans started singing 'happy birthday'...

I reckon for the first 2 seasons we would sell out. But then, after 3-4 years, I am not sure I would spend 40 quid to see some weak team from Ukraine or Cyprus play... (not that Roma is a poor team at all!)

Shows them up for me, I'm biased (a bit) but if you don't know that Roma play nice football and have been dying to get back to regular CL action and do somethign in the tournament so would be well up for it, then you don't know much about european football. I'd really want to watch my team play them. Hopefully I'll be at the return fixture in December and I can guarantee there'll be a load more than 37k there.

Apparently City have a large family area (they moved normal season ticket holders out). This stand is pretty empty week day fixtures. Not sure how true that is, as I read it randomly somewhere. Even so against a good Roma side you'd expect more.

As for us, against the top sides we'd sell out but lower teams we wouldn't

From what I remember we used to pretty much sell out Europa League matches not so long ago so I don't see why not. 

I am sorry but that is rubbish. We did not sell a single match out. We got over 35,000 v Ajax and CSKA which were the big games, and a good 30,00 + v Odense, but the other games (Vienna, Zilina,Lovech, Hurdy-Gurdy side) were all less than 30,000. Champions League is a different matter though- I am sure we would have sold out.

We don't sell out vs the big teams though. We usually get 40k very occasionally a sell-out but isn't that when Man Utd and Liverpool fill up the Holte end?  :angry:

I know a Arsenal fan who always used to go to Villa and sit in the Holte. The club actually banned him from attending as the computer flagged up he would only ever go to vs Arsenal matches  :unsure:

You can't compare us with a team who has just won the league and who are expected to beat or at least compete with any team they come against, City, Arsenal......

We have spent the last 3 seasons fighting relegation and have a very poor home record. The Man City ground would be empty and so would the Arsenal ground, which is half empty with 10 minutes now and that's when their winning.

If Villa had champions league football, and the success that goes hand in hand with it, then we would fill the ground and the prices would go up.

Â