1. 1. Which Striker for us?

• Alan Smith
    • Robbie Keane
    • Jestrovic
    • Carlton Cole
    • Yakubu
    • Forrsel
    • Earnshaw

but an interesting addition for me would be aliadiere (sp?) on loan for a season, quality player who arsenal migh be willing to let go out on loan.

Good prospect, definitely. But no more loans please for god's sake. For the same reasons as before...

I would opt for Smith.... and at the risk of being shot at dawn.... would make him Captain!.

Drive, determination and willing to bollock those around him, and it might make him control himself better with the responsibility.

Very difficult question seeing as all options are not confirmed targets.

If your asking who is the best ? I'd rank them:

Alan Smith (his passion and commitment to winning the ball 8) )

Forrsel (Good scoring record and no longer plays for Small Heath :) )

Yakubu (Powerful striker, quick direct and strong :) )

Robbie Keane (Coz he's irish mainly but is quite a smart player who knows where the net is .... so to speak :) )

Jestrovic (never heard seen the fella play :| )

Carlton Cole (Not direct, doesn't run at defenders, always peels out to the left side and crap goals ratio :roll: )

Earnshaw (50p head plays for Baggies, better than carlton cole but is a Baggies loser :evil: )

HARRY REDKNAPP has revealed Saints striker Kevin Phillips turned down a January move to Aston Villa - because he wanted to stay and play his part in Saints' relegation scrap.

The former England striker has been forced to show great patience in recent weeks with strikers Peter Crouch and Henri Camara keeping him out of the team.

But he came off the bench to score against Chelsea last Saturday and Redknapp admits he is facing a difficult decision ahead of tomorrow's Premiership clash with Blackburn.

The Saints boss said: "The one change I obviously do look at is Kevin Phillips. I will think about it. Kevin is a terrific player, a goalscorer, he came on and scored last week so that's in my mind.

"He just gets on with the job. He could have gone to Aston Villa in the window. They were looking to pay £2m for him but he didn't move. He didn't think it was right because of the position we were in.

"Not many people would do that and it tells you something about Kevin Phillips."

Just imagine buying him in January and then finding out you have more money to spend in the summer.

Thats what almost happened and is another sign of why Ellies is a clearing in the woods.

Out of that list - id say none.

Now dont get me wrong they all do have their merits and if ANY of those listed did come to villa they would get my full support. But if I was the Villa manager I wouldnt be looking at any of these. Im not sure who I would want though :)

Alan Smith for me out of that list. As others have said he has the passion and agression that is sadly lacking in our squad. He is one of those players who goes out in every game to win, no matter who he is playing against.

I wouldnt be surprised if we buy Can't Control as well as A.N Other striker.

Though I can see what people are saying about the aggression and passion thing - Alan Smith for me would be a wrong move. The problem is that he just doesn't score enough goals. His career average is nearly one every five games and even at ManUre he has only got 1 in 4. We've already got enough strikers who don't score. That's why DOL was interested in Beattie. True more creativity in the rest of the team would help our strikers but Vassell has never had the necessary self belief and JPA seems to have lost something since he got lame in the summer.

Apparently we made an offer, which Southampton accepted, of £2m for Kevin Phillips in the transfer window. If this from the official site is to be belived, anyway:

HARRY REDKNAPP has revealed Saints striker Kevin Phillips turned down a January move to Aston Villa - because he wanted to stay and play his part in Saints' relegation scrap.

The former England striker has been forced to show great patience in recent weeks with strikers Peter Crouch and Henri Camara keeping him out of the team.

But he came off the bench to score against Chelsea last Saturday and Redknapp admits he is facing a difficult decision ahead of tomorrow's Premiership clash with Blackburn.

The Saints boss said: "The one change I obviously do look at is Kevin Phillips. I will think about it. Kevin is a terrific player, a goalscorer, he came on and scored last week so that's in my mind.

"He just gets on with the job. He could have gone to Aston Villa in the window. They were looking to pay £2m for him but he didn't move. He didn't think it was right because of the position we were in.

"Not many people would do that and it tells you something about Kevin Phillips."

Redknapp continued: "We are fortunate to have three good front players. Kevin has always been on my mind, it's not been easy not having him in the team. He's a terrific player and a great pro.

"Camara's got that pace, Phillips is a great goalscorer. He knows how to find positions to score, so they have both got different qualities.

"Teams can squeeze you up if you can't get behind them and the little guy (Camara) has got that pace.

"Kevin is a top, top guy, a fantastic fella. It's not easy for me because I've got a lot of respect for him. He's a terrific player, he's been a top, top player and still is.

"Unfortunately he got injured and Camara came in and it's not easy. But it's better than having no-one. We are scoring, so I'm sure we can give Blackburn problems."

As for Earnshaw, i heard that Adrian Chiles bloke (The Baggies fan who presents MotD2 for the BBC) talking about the lightbulb shaped headed striker on 606 to another Baggies fan who doesnt understand why Earnshaw doesnt start regularly for WBA, especially given his recent goalscoring from. What Adrian Chiles said in reply was very interesting.

He sees pretty much every WBA game home and away, or via the BBC's internal live streams when he cant make the game due to work commitments, so i feel he is qualified to talk.

He is of the opinion that Rob Earnshaw is the single most weird player he has ever seen. A real Jekyll and Hyde character. In the area, as a finisher, the guy is a different class. As good as anybody. A top striker who you really do think will take most of his chances.

Outside the area, in his general play, he really is quite awful. He just isnt a very good footballer, and doesnt contribute to the team. He cant pass, or tackle to the required standard. He is just an out and out finisher.

Still, he is only 22/23 years old, so the rest of his game has still got time to develop, but when West Brom fans dont think he is good enough to start regularly in a team who are desperate for goals, and only think he should come on as a substitute when the Baggies really need him, i dont fell a club that are (or should be, at least) aiming for Europe every season will be going in for him.

Posted on the 'wrong' thread

David O'Leary today dismissed reports that he is preparing a summer swoop for England striker Alan Smith.

The Villa boss managed Smith at Leeds United and it had been claimed that the pair could be reunited at Villa Park next season.

But O'Leary, who is currently planning for a summer spending spree, told www.avfc.co.uk: "I'm not even going to call Sir Alex about Alan Smith. He's a quality player and there's no way Manchester United will want to lose him this summer."

The OS.

David O'Leary today dismissed reports that he is preparing a summer swoop for England striker Alan Smith.

The Villa boss managed Smith at Leeds United and it had been claimed that the pair could be reunited at Villa Park next season.

But O'Leary, who is currently planning for a summer spending spree, told www.avfc.co.uk: "I'm not even going to call Sir Alex about Alan Smith. He's a quality player and there's no way Manchester United will want to lose him this summer."