Notorious Speeches in History

maqroll

https://youtu.be/U4i8Qn5lGis

I have but one request to ask at my departure from this world--it is the charity of its silence! Let no man write my epitaph: for as no man who knows my motives dare now vindicate them. let not prejudice or ignorance asperse them. Let them and me repose in obscurity and peace, and my tomb remain uninscribed, until other times, and other men, can do justice to my character; when my country takes her place among the nations of the earth, then, and not till then, let my epitaph be written. I have done.

This may or may not have been the actual words spoken, but it is the most famous 'version'. 

Spoken by Robert Emmet, Irish Rebel leader in 1803 the day before he was hung and beheaded. He was 25 years old at the time, and put in to motion the events of 1916.

Allegedly Abe Lincoln could recite the whole thing as his party piece. 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

Though from a film rather than an actual speech the message and indeed the meaning and motivation is ver real and born of the time. It's  first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread after the obvious choices like Churchill and King. 

What is scary its relevance to today.

Its brilliantly written, thought provoking delivered in a quite increadible way and sad because of the horrors that inspired it. 

I sort it out after it was sampled in a song a while back, listened to the speech so many times since.

• Like 1

I can't pretend that I have watched 'The Great Dictator'because I haven't. I actually first heard the speech mixed into this song. But the speech is so powerful it genuinely gives me goosebumps.

Â