PES 15

villaajax

Having played the demos of PES and FIFA, in my opinion PES edges it this year which is a large improvement. It just feels nicer to play, has the better graphics and has the correct shoot button by default.

I think I may actually get PES this year after not bothering for the past 4-5 years.

The FIFA  AI is pretty crap, but I only play against other people anyway, and I quite like not having to play as West Midlands Village. I've not tried the PES demo yet though, I'll give it a try, is it available on PS4?

Edited by Davkaus

Apparently it was released on the UK store today. I'm off to investigate.  If not you can make an Asian (Hong Kong) account and get the demo from that store, bearing in mind the game is called Winning Eleven outside of Europe. 

I've played both the demo's now for an hour or so each, initial impressions are both are ok, not great but ok, highlight/replay/cut away graphics are more impressive on pes than Fifa but in game goes to Fifa plus Fifa has got that 'match day' presentation feel down to a tee.

My issue with pes is the same as always, it feels like you are controlling jittery deer on ice, it doesn't feel grounded or weighty. Fifa (while in the old days was more an air floater sim) feels a lot more 'physical' if that makes sense.

Both games have some very odd animation quirks now and again, some of the ways players twist themselves to pass or flick the ball on in PES is just bizarre to watch sometimes and the less said about Fifa and the goalkeepers attempted saving animations, ignoring the ball as it goes past them and other strange happenings the better.

Both play a good game of football, both seem very equal this year, I think I'll go for Fifa primarily based on the Villa Park/proper kit factor. I can't be arsed with option files these days so unless the kit/stadium editing suite is mind blowing then I'll be getting PES cheap next summer instead. If someone shows me a convincing villa park and genuine looking kits than I may be tempted to go for that instead.

Good news is that which ever you go for then you can't lose really.

Played the PES demo and was impressed. The players seem to be running on velcro and the ball glides as if it is on ice but that's just down to me been used to FIFA.

The AI is much better, I'm so used to the FIFA AI sticking 10 men behind the ball and then dribbling as close to the touchline as possible so it was good to play against something trying to score against me.

The tracking of runners (the thing computer games have never got right) is still sh*te but the recovery is quicker. It doesn't take the defenders 5 seconds to turn 180 degrees (maybe less realistic but necessary if you can design them to play on the half turn like in real football). The 'keepers seem to be stuck to the goal line.

I suppose the acid test will come from playing online. If there's a weakness you'll guarantee it will be exploited there. FIFA 14 on the 360 seems good until you play against a pressure/pace abuse team with the name 'Sweat XI'.

Last year, the price dropped pretty rapidly so will probably get it in a couple of months.

The gameplay is great and the new tactics where you set a formation for how you want your team to play whether in possession or out of possession works a treat.  This game has serious potential, I just hope master league online has divisions and is done like PES 2011.  A decent online 2v2 system would be great also.  PES is back!! 

I'm just hoping I can create as close a likeness to myself on Become a Legend as I did on 2009.

I've read that the edit options are majorly improved compared to the past few versions of PES so should have a good character editor. Sony need to release a patch so that usb sticks can be used on ps4 to get the jerseys and other stuff. Championship teams are in this year also along with second divisions from some other leagues so should mean a really large player base which will improve master league online.

Played the demo on the 360 last night. Impressed!

I then tried playing the Fifa demo and hated it straight away, I closed the game down after realising it is still 'kick-dash'. PES15 is a refreshing change and I have to make tactical choices with each pass/cross. :)

What is it like next gen?

Edited by dodgyknees

Â