Black managers face "hidden resistance"

Jimzk5

Think it would be an unfortunate backward step, same as a black pfa as suggested about a year ago after the terry / Ferdinand incident

I think it's a strange anomaly, would be interesting to see which black players have their badges and are currently struggling to get a job, the usual suspects will be out as vocal as ever, ince, Roberts and Campbell

That's ince who won't get a top job because he's shot, Roberts who won't get one because he's not even trying and Campbell who won't get one because he's too busy feeling hard done by it all

If the black guy who's been the England u19 manager for ages (Noel Blake?) came out moaning about it then I'd listen

I'm just throwing this out there but of all the black managers given chances so far how many have been even a remote success?

Not saying therefore that any black manager is not up to the job but it's a fact.

Tin hat on

Edited by bannedfromHandV

I'm just throwing this out there but of all the black managers given chances so far how many have been even a remote success?

Not saying therefore that any black manager is not up to the job but it's a fact.

Tin hat on

I don't think its a tin hat shout at all, I reckon you're bang on. If Mourinho, Guardiola, Lambert or Del Bosque had been black, do you think teams wouldn't want them as their manager? With their success of course they would. I understand people are saying these managers wouldn't have had the opportunity in the first place if they were black, but as a general rule, talent rises to the top.

I don't think anyone on here knows enough about the intimate details of the situation to dismiss the story as 'rubbish'. No one here has access to the HR records of the clubs showing who applied for what role and who was selected and by what criteria.

Michael Johnson (ex-blose), in an interview last year, said he applied for 30 coaching roles after being released by Notts County and was only interviewed for three of the roles. This despite him holding the highest UEFA pro licence and having success coaching at youth level. His replacement at Notts County only had the B-licence.

He's not calling the game institutionally racist but asked for a level playing field where people holding the same qualifications are treated the same when applying for jobs. I don't think anyone on here would disagree with this?

• Like 3

How many Sol Campbell types are there?

The argument gets derailed because people are quick to dismiss there is a problem.

Because there is no actual evidence that there is a problem.

A lack of black managers isn't in itself evidence of anything, it is simply a statistic.

All there is at the moment is people like Sol Campbell making accusations and someone like John Barnes who seems to forget he has been given a chance as a manager and failed badly twice. 

There is a lack of English managers in the game and particularly in the PL, is that evidence of a "hidden resistance" or racism from club owners to English managers?

• Like 3

People seem to be misunderstanding what the Rooney Rule is - it doesn't force you to appoint a black manager, merely to interview one. There's no pressure to award that person the job.

I don't think people have misunderstood. It's just the rule isn't fair. Why should a black person have an interview if there are better applicants? For example a company may have ten applicants for a job, but only want to interview five. You'd filter five out based on cv's. If the worst cv is held by the only black applicant, why should thry still get an interview because of their colour?

People seem to be misunderstanding what the Rooney Rule is - it doesn't force you to appoint a black manager, merely to interview one. There's no pressure to award that person the job.

I don't think people have misunderstood. It's just the rule isn't fair. Why should a black person have an interview if there are better applicants? For example a company may have ten applicants for a job, but only want to interview five. You'd filter five out based on cv's. If the worst cv is held by the only black applicant, why should thry still get an interview because of their colour?

Absolutely! How about being forced to choose one asain applicant too? Also one muslim, also one gay, one woman? Where would this end? 

And they can't interview 6 candidates instead of 5 because . . . . . . . . . . ?

And they can't interview 6 candidates instead of 5 because . . . . . . . . . . ?

So would you advocate interviewing someone based on their ethnicity only in order to tick a box when you have no intention of giving them the job because there is someone you consider better qualified or matched?

In football it isn't uncommon for clubs not to interview multiple people, how many people do you think United interviewed before appointing LVG? Or how many did Chelsea interview before appointing Jose for his second spell?

Do you honestly think both clubs should have interviewed Sol Campbell or John Barnes or any other former black player in order to comply with this rule?

• Like 3

On a related note is there a hidden resistance against Asian (Indian Pakistani) player's. Not wishing to take the thread off topic but I guess it's an interesting thought. I can only think of 3 who have played in the Prem. 

Edited by Voinjama

On a related note is there a hidden resistance against Asian (Indian Pakistani) player's. Not wishing to take the thread off topic but I guess it's an interesting thought. I can only think of 3 who have played in the Prem. 

not that im fully aware and probably way off but maybe its because they have cricket as a more popular sport. For their big populations its hard to think of a single player from either Pakistan or India to make it as a professional

So would you advocate interviewing someone based on their ethnicity only in order to tick a box when you have no intention of giving them the job because there is someone you consider better qualified or matched?

In football it isn't uncommon for clubs not to interview multiple people, how many people do you think United interviewed before appointing LVG? Or how many did Chelsea interview before appointing Jose for his second spell?

Do you honestly think both clubs should have interviewed Sol Campbell or John Barnes or any other former black player in order to comply with this rule?

That's a good point. How many managers 'interview' without their current club's knowledge. I assume whenever a club is looking for a manager, they would have to disclose who they want to approach or interview if they had to guarantee looking at a black candidate. And what if no black candidate came forward? Of course it would be nice if more black people were candidates but I reckon it will happen naturally a bit more when this current generation of players retire.

How many Sol Campbell types are there?

The argument gets derailed because people are quick to dismiss there is a problem.

Because there is no actual evidence that there is a problem.

A lack of black managers isn't in itself evidence of anything, it is simply a statistic.

All there is at the moment is people like Sol Campbell making accusations and someone like John Barnes who seems to forget he has been given a chance as a manager and failed badly twice. 

There is a lack of English managers in the game and particularly in the PL, is that evidence of a "hidden resistance" or racism from club owners to English managers?

Pretty much sums up my feelings. It's both hilarious and pathetic.

Â