Midweek football 22/24 September

andykeenan

4 goals in the end for Chris, not bad.

His stats are wheeled out all the time but they are just so damn impressive.   Since signing for Real Madrid he has scored:

186 goals in 169 appearances in the league

20 in 26 in the cup

52 in 53 in European competition 

5 in 7 in "other" official matches (ie, Spanish Supercopa and UEFA Super Cup)

Overall that's 264 goals in 254 appearances.  He has 12 goals in 8 appearances in all competitions this season.  It's 9 in 4 in the league.  It's little surprise his transfer fee rarely gets mentioned these days, he has absolutely justified it. 

Overall that's 264 goals in 254 appearances. He has 12 goals in 8 appearances in all competitions this season. It's 9 in 4 in the league. It's little surprise his transfer fee rarely gets mentioned these days, he has absolutely justified it.

I'm sure it was the mail that said he was joining man utd next summer for £60m... the utd fan I work with buys in to it too convinced he wants to come "home"

Statistically I think he'll smash every record going, if giggs played till 40 after discovering yoga or whatever shit it was, this guy can play till he's somewhere between 40-45, don't think the lose his pace argument has much in it either, he's pretty much the perfect athlete

messi I think will have had enough by about 33, Ronaldo could easily have about 8-10 years longer in him

I'm not sure it will be as long as that, I can see Ronaldo being a bit like Alan Shearer in that his game won't decline much when he hits his mid 30s but he won't be hitting 50+ goals a season when he is pushing 40.  I can't see why Madrid would sell him any time soon and I'm pretty sure he left Manchester United to go "home" to Iberia, didn't he? 

Man United fans are apparently paying for a plane to fly over Villareal's stadium at the weekend when they play Real Madrid with a banner saying "come home Ronaldo" on it. That's pretty **** embarrassing. It's like hanging around outside your ex's bedroom and banging on the windows while she's getting **** asking her to come back to you.

I really hope he signs for Man City,

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

I have 2 questions.

1. Why would Real sell Ronaldo?

2. If they did, why would they sell him for £60m?

He's contracted until 2018 as far as I know. I'd say if they paid £120 million for him they'd be getting him cheap.

I have 2 questions.

2. If they did, why would they sell him for £60m?

He's contracted until 2018 as far as I know. I'd say if they paid £120 million for him they'd be getting him cheap.

I personally don't think they will sell, however, possible answers to Q1:

Because they have €400m of debt to pay back
Because they feel they have had their monies worth and he'll start to decline soon (and so will his value) because of his age
Behind he scenes he might be saying he wants to move on

No way they'd let him go for £60m though I agree. Best player in the world right now, one of the best players ever. No chance.
Didn't Man City offer £100m for Kaka a few years back? It would take at least that for RM to even discuss it in the office. Whoever signs him next will put him on a 5/6 year contract and will get nothing at all for him at the end of that which needs to be a consideration. I think only City could afford to take that hit.

I have 2 questions.

Well I agree it is highly unlikely.

But there has been some implied criticism of those running the club (above the manager) and their decisions to let Alonso and Di Maria leave this summer by Ronaldo and those running the club aren't exactly known for being fond of criticism.

So there is an implication or suggestion of a bit of a rift, as there was previously when Bale arrived although that was sorted.

In football terms letting him go makes no sense but neither did it to let Makelele leave but that didn't stop them, although a very different type of player he was just as important for them.

I therefore don't think it is unthinkable that they would let him go but then I don't think it will happen either and certainly not for £60m.

Â